List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as stinky as when we get reamed on from both ends with Barrass and Baker i would assume bender?... Because Clarke doesn't drive a hard enough bargain

I guess probably you'd be ok with it though...

MEGA
How about you at least wait for something to happen before you melt down over it?

This year yes. Travaglia/top end mid vs Lindsay/Berry/Allan and F20.

You know Tobie better than anyone on here. Would you trade our F1 to Richmond for 6 (Travaglia) and Baker?

3-FOS
6-Travaglia
14-Lindsay
26-O’Farrell/Mraz*
Yeah I would. Particularly if we have obtained Hawthorn's 1st rounder next year.
It brings our rebuild forward and allows an extra year of development in a player which is great. It also likely helps with retention of Harley due to his relationship with Tobie.
A lot of positives. I know that others might get hung up on having the ability to select a player like Sharpe but we're not likely to obtain pick 1 (due to Richmond losing all their experienced talent this trade period) so it is likely that our pick will be in the 3-6 range again. There's a chance that if we improve next year it could be 2024 pick 6 for 2025 pick 4-5 plus Baker which would be a coup.

Also kudos upon selecting almost exclusively Vic Country boys above.

My God! I can’t wait till the end of this trade period. Watching some of the absolute morons on here running for cover!
It’s what you’d call “I know what WC need better than they do” whining.
Some of the llloooonnnggg convoluted multi drafts have the ability to do my head in!
Well they would if I bothered to read them unfortunately my eyes glaze over and I skip ahead to retain my sanity.
Debate and throw ideas around
but some of the angry melts are just ridiculous!
Let’s have some faith in the club.Pike is no mug!!

What room though? The people on here that didn't want [insert coaching candidate] because of [insert vibe/physical feature/trivial reasoning]? I'm serious, where else is there rumblings about Baker that I can access publicly that the club is also accessing coz they care about Joe Schmo's thoughts on list management?
The room is the room of public opinion. This forum is part of it, Facebook, general opinion of people who have an interest in football.

Even a number of Victorian commentators such as Barrett, Montagna, Clark do not rate Baker as a first round pick.

The idea that Baker is worth more than Bailey Smith or the same as Tom Barrass is preposterous.as even you yourself admit.

Mega trade time.
IF the Will Powell thing has any merit to it and isnt just some rumour, then what about something like this:

West Coast
In: Baker + Powell + 6 + 10 + 30 + 41 + hawks f3
Out: Barrass + 3 + 26 + wcef2

Gold Coast
In: Rioli + Hawks f1 + wce f2 + rich f2
Out: Powell + 6 + 23 + 41

Richmond
In: 3 + 14 + 18 + 23 + 33
Out: Rioli + Baker + Bolton + 42 + 45 + rich f2

Hawthorn
In: Barrass + 18 + 45
Out: 14 + 33 + hawks F1 + hawks f3

Fremantle
In: Bolton + 42
Out 10 + 18 + 30

-Eagles end up with picks 6+10+30+41+ the picks in the 60s for Champion. Add Powell and Baker as decent mid 20s players
-GC get mass points for next year, still have 13 and later picks to match this year and get Noble
-Richmond get 5 decent picks in addition to pick 1 and 24
-Hawks get Barrass, and keep a presence in this years draft.
-Freo get Bolton

Who says no?

Reckon we would've if we could've. Seems either the AFL, or Richmond, have other ideas.

Doubt it would be Richmond - which only leaves the AFL unfortunately. It's the only way it makes sense.

Unless us not tweaking the system is some hyper form of new modern weak West Coast, family-friends-(no more)flags, we-know-it's-more-than-winning, good guy traders, "we don't tweak the system" bullsh@#

Only other explanation is we don't have as much excess cap space as we have been hearing.

Yeah I would. Particularly if we have obtained Hawthorn's 1st rounder next year.
It brings our rebuild forward and allows an extra year of development in a player which is great. It also likely helps with retention of Harley due to his relationship with Tobie.
A lot of positives. I know that others might get hung up on having the ability to select a player like Sharpe but we're not likely to obtain pick 1 (due to Richmond losing all their experienced talent this trade period) so it is likely that our pick will be in the 3-6 range again. There's a chance that if we improve next year it could be 2024 pick 6 for 2025 pick 4-5 plus Baker which would be a coup.

Also kudos upon selecting almost exclusively Vic Country boys above.
I agree. If FOS and Jagga are going to be off the board by 3 then I’m splitting it and keeping our F1.

Otherwise I would 100% do the above trade unless Woosha can get us out of the Baker commitment. Balanced additions to the list in positions of need.

The room is the room of public opinion. This forum is part of it, Facebook, general opinion of people who have an interest in football.

Even a number of Victorian commentators such as Barrett, Montagna, Clark do not rate Baker as a first round pick.

The idea that Baker is worth more than Bailey Smith or the same as Tom Barrass is preposterous.as even you yourself admit.

The price has always been the real issue, but the poster I'm replying to is talking firstly like Baker is a spud, then that Clarke and McQualter are mortgaging the Eagles future for the chance to pay back some mates with cushy contracts. Surely that's just a tad on the side of nutty.

My God! I can’t wait till the end of this trade period. Watching some of the absolute morons on here running for cover!
It’s what you’d call “I know what WC need better than they do” whining.
Some of the llloooonnnggg convoluted multi drafts have the ability to do my head in!
Well they would if I bothered to read them unfortunately my eyes glaze over and I skip ahead to retain my sanity.
Debate and throw ideas around
but some of the angry melts are just ridiculous!
Let’s have some faith in the club.Pike is no mug!!

images (2) (4).jpeg

Thats how it reads, but the actual show they say west coast need something coming back with baker as pick 14 is Slightly overs for baker.
Far out…pick 24 would be overs for baker! Go to the draft if tigers are not going to be reasonable.

Btw - I love Geelong’s trading tactics and hope the bulldogs tell them to heck right off.

They seem to forget Tim Kelly was uncontracted when they got 14,24 and 37 for him.

Bailey smith is uncontracted and they are only prepared to part with pick 17. There is zero good faith in dealing with Geelong and they just continue to screw other clubs over and get away with it. All because Geelong is the apparent Mecca for culture and happiness…

Give me some of whatever Koolaid they are drinking down there at Geeling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about you at least wait for something to happen before you melt down over it?
All I'm saying is that his presser was contradictory

And where he could firmly project the Eagles best interests... I don't think he did.

More people melting about my comments than anything else... Which is weird... You all must have seen a different press conference

Far out…pick 24 would be overs for baker! Go to the draft if tigers are not going to be reasonable.

Btw - I love Geelong’s trading tactics and hope the bulldogs tell them to heck right off.

They seem to forget Tim Kelly was uncontracted when they got 14,24 and 37 for him.

Bailey smith is uncontracted and they are only prepared to part with pick 17. There is zero good faith in dealing with Geelong and they just continue to screw other clubs over and get away with it. All because Geelong is the apparent Mecca for culture and happiness…

Give me some of whatever Koolaid they are drinking down there at Geeling
Just gotta lick the ticket at MDMA stadium.

The price has always been the real issue, but the poster I'm replying to is talking firstly like Baker is a spud, then that Clarke and McQualter are mortgaging the Eagles future for the chance to pay back some mates with cushy contracts. Surely that's just a tad on the side of nutty.
I think price but also our list state are the two issues regarding Baker. In 2018 I would have given an early 2R for him without much fuss or I’d be happy paying band 2 money next year. Baker is not a spud but he’s not the right fit for our list this year either.

I do think there is a total lack of objectivity in trading with Richmond coming from Clarke and now amplified by McQualter. Not in a clandestine pay back sense but more an inability to detach emotion from an objective assessment of a player’s worth.

Phil’s comment that he has been shut out of dealing with the Tigers is concerning. Any individual in a company or corporate entity where there is a declared conflict of interest would abstain from voting/dealing in proposals influenced by this conflict of interest.

The same standard should apply here and both Clarke and McQualter should be excluded from talks with Richmond, not Phil.

Last edited:
Along with saying the below ....

"Just tell them that as he's uncontracted and that in the end the preseason draft is an option".
It's a fact...

Pick 14(currently imaginary)...vs preseason draft..

I daresay somewhere in mid 20's is a good compromise.

Geelong would have probably taken that line in the media and you would probably be massaging their balls if they proposed it.

All I'm saying is that his presser was contradictory

And where he could firmly project the Eagles best interests... I don't think he did.

More people melting about my comments than anything else... Which is weird... You all must have seen a different press conference
I'll give the guy a couple of weeks before I decide he's no good at his job. First press conference jitters aren't the end of the world, and hopefully that's all it was.

I agree. If FOS and Jagga are going to be off the board by 3 then I’m splitting it and keeping our F1.

Otherwise I would 100% do the above trade unless Woosha can get us out of the Baker commitment. Balanced additions to the list in positions of need.
This baker trade will haunt the eagles, potentially as badly as the kelly trade. It's a slow train wreck that will likely eventuate when a highly rated wa pick slides on draft night. Fremantle fans were very happy baker didn't nominate them

I'll give the guy a couple of weeks before I decide he's no good at his job. First press conference jitters aren't the end of the world, and hopefully that's all it was.
Yep fair enough... Still a few days to go in this trade/free agency shenanigans.

I do agree with the poster who mentioned that Clarke Mcqualter should be taken out of dealings with Richmond because of perceived bias(whether it exists or not)...i think it's a good point.

Mega trade time.
IF the Will Powell thing has any merit to it and isnt just some rumour, then what about something like this:

West Coast
In: Baker + Powell + 6 + 10 + 30 + 41 + hawks f3
Out: Barrass + 3 + 26 + wcef2

Gold Coast
In: Rioli + Hawks f1 + wce f2 + rich f2
Out: Powell + 6 + 23 + 41

Richmond
In: 3 + 14 + 18 + 23 + 33
Out: Rioli + Baker + Bolton + 42 + 45 + rich f2

Hawthorn
In: Barrass + 18 + 45
Out: 14 + 33 + hawks F1 + hawks f3

Fremantle
In: Bolton + 42
Out 10 + 18 + 30

-Eagles end up with picks 6+10+30+41+ the picks in the 60s for Champion. Add Powell and Baker as decent mid 20s players
-GC get mass points for next year, still have 13 and later picks to match this year and get Noble
-Richmond get 5 decent picks in addition to pick 1 and 24
-Hawks get Barrass, and keep a presence in this years draft.
-Freo get Bolton

Who says no?
ME! I gave up after the first 20 combos.

I think price but also our list state are the two issues regarding Baker. In 2018 I would have given an early 2R for him without much fuss or I’d be happy paying band 2 money next year. Baker is not a spud but he’s not the right fit for our list this year either.

I do think there is a total lack of objectivity in trading with Richmond coming from Clarke and now amplified by McQualter. Not in a clandestine pay back sense but more an inability to detach emotion from an objective assessment of a player’s worth.

Phil’s comment that he has been shut out of dealing with the Tigers is concerning. Any company or corporate entity where there is a declared conflict of interest would abstain from voting/dealing in proposals influenced by this conflict of interest.

The same standard should apply here and both Clarke and McQualter should be excluded from talks with Richmond, not Phil.

I agree on your first point to an extent, I think he still has a bit to offer our list, but I'd rather take the gamble on pick 14 over him for sure. Which again for me comes back to the price.

I don't however agree with your opinion on their inability to detach themselves from the situation - I do have faith that they are professionals and they at least believe they are using their inside knowledge to their advantage and for the benefit of the Eagles.

I think we can all agree that nothing has actually occurred yet, so we all need a bit more time for something to actually happen before we go making calls about these guys - not based purely of a 5 minutes press conference.

Lastly, with all due respect to Phil, this is assuming he is legit. We will never, ever know that. We can all pop up on Monday morning and talk about how we knew exactly what was going to happen on Saturday, but couldn't say anything until after the fact. Somewhat convenient in my eyes. However, he may be legit. 🤷‍♂️

Doubt it would be Richmond - which only leaves the AFL unfortunately. It's the only way it makes sense.

Unless us not tweaking the system is some hyper form of new modern weak West Coast, family-friends-(no more)flags, we-know-it's-more-than-winning, good guy traders, "we don't tweak the system" bullsh@#

Only other explanation is we don't have as much excess cap space as we have been hearing.
So if we offered a mega deal for a player that I’m reliably informed is dogshit, on a four year deal, who won’t even be playing by year three and four of the deal apparently…nobody would mind? It could theoretically help grease the wheels for another player who is apparently terrible so ticks all around right?

We certainly wouldn’t have to spend the next half decade reading about how we just looked after Clarke’s old Richmond mates and we’re nothing but an easy pay cheque for WAFL standard triers.

Or could it be that we got a role player on a role player salary and are somehow still seeing melts about it, a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back