List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, that’d be amazing but Richmond wouldn’t do that. I don’t even think they’d do 3 for Baker and 6. I think if a deal like that gets done it’ll be 3 for 9 or 10 and Baker which is disgusting for us.
I actually think Richmond would do that. Pick 3 coming up suggests that pick 3 is the target. They'll still potentially have 13 (HAW), 14 (BRI), 17 (FRE), 21 (RIC), 22 (Graham compo) and 29 (RIC).

Fremantle are going to waste their picks on Bolton and Baker.

We come in to swoop in on Warner. Let's gooo.

Also why do people say Warner will leave if they win grand final? How does winning a GF cause movement?

Would Sydney entertain 3, 14, 23 for Warner?

I can't say much but and it may not happen but a lot of work has gone into making sure pick 3 is used on a much higher caliber player than Baker.

The clubs has quite a few trade targets. Hopefully get a couple over the line but still want 2 picks inside the top 20 of the draft.
Is this one of the red herrings?

We shouldn't be trading pick 3 for anything unless its chad warner .

Sounds like our new list boss still works for the tigers

As we get closer to the draft it’s best to think of it in terms of players rather than numbers. I believe the Tigers are pretty keen to pair Jagga and FOS if possible. At 15 they’d still get their preferred Whitlock.

So possibly Smillie, Travaglia and Baker for FOS and JWhitlock. Don’t think it looks shocking, really just going to be dependent on who the tigers are targeting and where they are likely to be picked. The other consideration is that the tigers will not be able to use all their picks so they’ll might be inclined to overpay to move up the draft order or into next year.
That's the only possible scenario Vision, they are desperate to pair the two boys. I had heard that as well but they would be paying overs for the opportunity.

Also why do people say Warner will leave if they win grand final? How does winning a GF cause movement?

There's no guarantee that he would move but if the Swans win the flag, it will be a career box ticked for him.

It’s doesn’t but the thought would be because a Premiership is what everyone wants to experience.

Some will want to chase that for their rest of their footy lives and that would most likely happen by staying. Others might be happy to tick that off and then get paid millions more from another team in your home town.

Dixon isn't capable of running riot. I don't think he's capable of running full stop.

😂
They may bring in Marshall who will be better, but hasn’t had the greatest season. If they get through this week, they have the flaky Sydney talls. May not be truly exposed til the grand final (if they get that far).

Stop pissing your pants and over reacting.

No can do.

Adam Sandler Pee GIF

That's the only possible scenario Vision, they are desperate to pair the two boys. I had heard that as well but they would be paying overs for the opportunity.
Yep. I personally think they’ll have a crack at pick 2.

2 and 22 for 6 and 9.

North get two of Smillie, Trainor, Shanahan and Armstrong. Far better for their list need than best available at pick 2 and 22.

3, 14 and 23 for Warner? Did Leigh Matthews have sex with Chris Judd and conceive a love child?

There's no guarantee that he would move but if the Swans win the flag, it will be a career box ticked for him.
Great player but he is surrounded by some tough inside players that are also great. Makes life easier for him. Still at 3 he may be better than a great prospect. Still sure he stays though.

Of course would but why the **** would we even consider offering that much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they helped.

Don’t forget Simmo did get us to the 2015 GF and Mitchell wasn’t at the club. He came in and got the skill level up and implemented a game plan that no one was really doing.

New coach should bring new standards and new game plan and that will help a lot. Along with drafting the best young talent in the land and recruiting players that fit a need. Those players are out there just need the list manager to identify them and get them to want to come. Money shouldn’t be an issue with our cap situation.

Hawks missed out on a lot of their targets last year as it wasn’t seen a destination club. 12 months on now they have 2 and maybe a 3 one on the hook. 2 of them only cost salary cap.
However Pyke was assistant coach then and I always wondered was he behind us getting into the 2015 GF and didn’t somebody say Hickmott was responsible for the “Web”.

However Pyke was assistant coach then and I always wondered was he behind us getting into the 2015 GF and didn’t somebody say Hickmott was responsible for the “Web”.
That's why clubs have a coaching panel. Of course all would have helped, however it's the senior coach that galvanises a group.

FOS , Draiper , smillie, Langford all gone by 6 Lalor probably goes to Melbourne at 5 too .

Recon at 6 we may be stuck drafting Reid who is a flight risk or jagga

If I was west coast I would refuse to trade pick 3 for anything

We need top end talent not the best of the rest
'Stuck' with drafting Reid or Jagga would be a win

Probably cutting into our draft capital a bit too much, still need too fill a few holes this year.

Maybe keep 3, 23, 59 this year but offer barass and f1 for Warner?

Barass and f1 is essentially 13 + 31 + our 2025 top 5 pick

Going by what WCEPhil mentioned about a higher profile player and still hoping for two top 20 picks i'm putting my Obeanie mega trade hat on and dive in.

WCE Trade: Tom Barrass
Hawks Trade: 2024 1st (15) and 2025 1st.

WCE Trade: Picks 3,15 (Barrass) & 23
Tigers Trade: Liam Baker, Pick 6 (Rioli) Pick 9 (Bolton) and pick 41. (Plus we pay Graham overs to net them a juicy pick)

WCE Trade: Pick 6, 9 and future 1st (Hawks)
Swans Trade: Chad Warner, Picks 19 & 20.

End results.

Tigers upgrade picks 6 into 3 and 41 into 23 for the downgrade of 15 into 9 and Liam Baker.

Swans get two top 10 picks for Warner but lose two end of first round picks for Hawks future 1st.

Eagles lose Tom Barrass and picks 3 and 23 for Chad Warner, Liam Baker, 19, 20 and 41.

Players play to win a flag. I'll put it this way, if we don't show something in the next 2 seasons that demonstrate the right direction towards finals, Harley will be hard to hold onto, and obtaining warner would be mute.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Going by what WCEPhil mentioned about a higher profile player and still hoping for two top 20 picks i'm putting my Obeanie mega trade hat on and dive in.

WCE Trade: Tom Barrass
Hawks Trade: 2024 1st (15) and 2025 1st.

WCE Trade: Picks 3,15 (Barrass) & 23
Tigers Trade: Liam Baker, Pick 6 (Rioli) Pick 9 (Bolton) and pick 41. (Plus we pay Graham overs to net them a juicy pick)

WCE Trade: Pick 6, 9 and future 1st (Hawks)
Swans Trade: Chad Warner, Picks 19 & 20.

End results.

Tigers upgrade picks 6 into 3 and 41 into 23 for the downgrade of 15 into 9 and Liam Baker.

Swans get two top 10 picks for Warner but lose two end of first round picks for Hawks future 1st.

Eagles lose Tom Barrass and picks 3 and 23 for Chad Warner, Liam Baker, 19, 20 and 41.
1725787110408.gif

I mean, that’d be amazing but Richmond wouldn’t do that. I don’t even think they’d do 3 for Baker and 6. I think if a deal like that gets done it’ll be 3 for 9 or 10 and Baker which is disgusting for us.
Richmond get 3 - do they have a particular pairing with their pick 1. Personally I would say Jagga Smith and Murphy Reid would be fantastic going forward.

So having covered their choice mids, they can then get about addressing a couple of talls and 12 to 25 is where I expect them to go off the board. Tigers could also address other needs.

Who they would pick at 9 could quite easily still be there at the Hawks pick.

The scenario is not impossible. I used it as a way of calming down the scared Eagles posters who are adamant that under any scenario would we ever trade 3.

Ask yourself - how difficult is it to get your hands on pick 3? Therefore let’s see what a club would pay for it

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back