List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t Phil say that he throws some misinformation to throw others off?

The post about posting red herrings was the red herring, Vishy.

In terms of rucks, if we're looking for a plug and play mature ruck then Oliver Eastland is a great option from the Wafl.

He held his own against Freos liam Reidy today and has had an overall great season this year.

A younger option would be Joe Pike. A 19 year old 203cm ruck from the Geelong Falcons in the talent league. Has been averaging almost 16 disposals and 28 hitouts this year.

Both these guys could be decent rookie prospects.

The only person on here you can trust is MrKennedy17, he's got the inside scoop on everything; the next pandemic created by the Ugandan stock market to boost their own Crypto investments in Elon Musks internet from Mars. $100% truth$.

At least Phil, when he's not talking about the large amount of high quality TRIM he gets on his party island 🏝️ 🍾, divulges what appears to be some actual relevant information. Whether made up or not
Yep this - I choose to believe because it's real juicy entertainment, despite the likelihood of it being complete trollop

The only person on here you can trust is MrKennedy17, he's got the inside scoop on everything; the next pandemic created by the Ugandan stock market to boost their own Crypto investments in Elon Musks internet from Mars. $100% truth$.

What am I chopped liver?

What am I chopped liver?

Let's just say when the apocalypse does come on one of the 3 dates (that may have already passed) according to MrK17 you'll be the first one eaten. And no I'm not flirting with you.

Let's just way when the apocalypse does come on one of the 3 dates (that may have already passed) according to MrK17 you'll be the first one eaten. And no I'm not flirting with you.

Are you asking me out?

In terms of rucks, if we're looking for a plug and play mature ruck then Oliver Eastland is a great option from the Wafl.

He held his own against Freos liam Reidy today and has had an overall great season this year.

Agreed. Seems an easy plug an play option. Can you imagine the excitement on here if any of our backup rucks were racking up stats anything at all like these so consistently?

Screenshot_20240908_202754_Brave.jpg

I've been thinking which is more likely.

Harvey Langford failing in AFL due to his inability to adjust to tempo as a result of having a lack of speed and endurance?

Or

Jagga failing in Afl as a result of having a small frame?

The answer to that question should determine who we should draft at pick 3 if Draper and FOS (lesser extent) are out of question.

Now that I think about it both are probably equal in terms of runs on board. Smillie and Lalor have less runs then those two

Last edited:
So Garcia’s (and presumably Carroll’s) exit interview is tomorrow, we might get a taste of how good Phil’s dirty talk is.

Although he’s still playing VFL finals so may withhold any announcement of intentions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eastland has been a top tier WAFL ruck for while now. Bloke is a workhorse.

Pretty criminal he gets forever stamped with the "state level" tag because he's undersized as a ruckman, so it's assumed he wouldn't have that sort of impact at AFL level. Either that or he's a flog like FIGJAM Bolton :shrug:

Who even cares, he's 199cm but against Flynn, someone supposedly an AFL quality ruckman and size, he had (as shown in the table a few posts up);

24D, 11T, 46HO's. More than the combined totals of the AFL listed ruck spuds for West Coast playing that day.

Flynn had 13D, 3T and 38HO's
Spuddy Barnett 8D, 5T, 4HO's.

Can't hurt giving the bloke a rookie list spot or SSP if he's interested. At worst it just poaches him from Claremont to play for the Beagles (providing they haven't folded). I reckon his AFL output could eclipse Bailey's.

If Draper is still there at pick 3 maybe we should we trade 3 to the crows for pick 4 and Daniel Curtin.
Easy mate. I suggested using this leverage earlier but got negative feedback. They'll need more from us in return. I want the Chad but I doubt Sydney let him leave until 2025. I'd offer 3 and the Hawthorn pick for Barrass for 4 and Curtin.

Easy mate. I suggested using this leverage earlier but got negative feedback. They'll need more from us in return. I want the Chad but I doubt Sydney let him leave until 2025. I'd offer 3 and the Hawthorn pick for Barrass for 4 and Curtin.
I'll add to that trade with a later round or future pick swap as a sweetener. They'll have to save face for trading up to get him.

If Draper is still there at pick 3 maybe we should we trade 3 to the crows for pick 4 and Daniel Curtin.

Because the Crows list manager would need to be huffing paint to even remotely consider giving up their first round draft pick from last year for Sid Draper.

Even with the Barrass first rounder, that gives them less of a return than what they invested in Curtin, so they'd just keep him.

It's only in our minds that they are 'desperate' for Draper. There's zero indication they actually are, especially when they wouldn't take our first rounder this year for Curtin, which would've all but guaranteed Draper for them.

Because the Crows list manager would need to be huffing paint to even remotely consider giving up their first round draft pick from last year for Sid Draper.

Even with the Barrass first rounder, that gives them less of a return than what they invested in Curtin, so they'd just keep him.

It's only in our minds that they are 'desperate' for Draper. There's zero indication they actually are, especially when they wouldn't take our first rounder this year for Curtin, which would've all but guaranteed Draper for them.
Don't know what huffing is but are you referring to chroming? Pretty clear South Australian team's target South Australians, just like Fremantle and us want returning Western Australians. Hence the leverage with Draper. I rate Curtin way higher than most. The highlights of that Colts game in the wet for Claremont v East Perth was enough. Shades of Pendles. Would hate to see him playing for Fremantle in 2 years time.

And to add to your point we traded out of the Tsatis, Sheezel range for the same reason. Both Vic metro who didn't want to be here and said as much pre draft. I'll take Ginbey and Hewett every day. Hewett could be a star in this league when he gets his foot right. There's no WA talent in this years crop anywhere near what those two project.

Don't know what huffing is but are you referring to chroming? Pretty clear South Australian team's target South Australians, just like Fremantle and us want returning Western Australians. Hence the leverage with Draper. I rate Curtin way higher than most. The highlights of that Colts game in the wet for Claremont v East Perth was enough. Shades of Pendles. Would hate to see him playing for Fremantle in 2 years time.
Of course they would prefer homegrown talent if of equal ability.

They ain't giving up Curtin for a 1 pick move up the order to do it though, as the other poster suggested, nor are they doing it for a worse pick than they used on Curtin to begin with.

Also, who says they don't rate other players higher than Draper?

Remember, last year Vic media were sure we'd trade back from #1 to pick Curtin, or just pick him outright.

The fact Adelaide refused to trade with us when we offered our future first for their pick they used on Curtin indicates they clearly valued Curtin higher than Draper, because they wouldn't have expected to perform so badly this year.

What is the record number of rucks a team has had on their list at the same time?
I don't know, but Daniel Kerr has a handful of recorded hitouts. Does he now count as a pure ruckman? I think he should. The stats don't lie

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back