List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you think North rate Draper more highly?

Draper seems like a great fit for us but would we be reaching at 3? I haven’t looked at other club boards to see where he is rated but it feels like we have discounted others (Reid, Smillie) due to being Vic Metro.

I suspect Crows would take Draper at 4 due to being local but otherwise he is rated at 7 in Twomey’s form guide and was at 9 before that. Cal is normally very accurate and I assume he takes into account which teams hold picks. Albeit this draft is particularly even at the top.

If the Crows lost pick 4 trading for Lukosious (slide to a later 1R) then perhaps we could split 3 and get Draper around that pick 7 mark if he is our intended target.

I know things.

I won't be able to comment publicly on anything that happens trade wise for 24 months at all and if working in the industry for another club not at all. (It was a personal favour to do what im doing since round 10 so I sincerely doubt I do it again)

I will be able to say things like are you happy with that or similar but I can't comment on ongoing discussions and trades.

Speculating on draftees and their positions in the draft is no issue as im not involved in the recruiting team and also anything I saw now will be completely irrelevant once we have a coach.

I also cant comment on the hunt for a new senior coach other than to say a lot of work is being put in and that a lot of the candidates 'dropping out' either dont want to go through the full process or the club isn't interested in. That is all.

Remember I also may be dropping little bits of misinformation. There are a couple of posters on other boards who should know who I am and are working for clubs so there is a lot to play.

In regards to draftees Murphy Reid and Hotton don't want to leave Victoria and I don't see much difference personally between pick 1 and pick 8. Personally I don't think who I would have at 1, clubs would.

I'm pretty good at drafting flankers and talls but I do have a probably unwanted predisposition to footballers with skill and have strict guidelines in my mind of whom will make it in their preferred position and who won't. Sometimes too much exposure is worse than not enough.

What are your thoughts on Luke Trainor, do you see him being worthwhile a top 10 pick with upside compared to other key defensive prospects later in the draft? Would he project to turn into someone like McGovern? I just hear he's got great skills and reads the play well, curious where he sits value wise compared to say Curtin [top 5 prospect] or Busslinger [13] and is he a 3rd tall who can distribute or a genuine key back with above average skills?

I would be very keen on Jagga.

Strikes me as an all in bet.

He should be standing out going semi professional finishing school 12 months ago.

His size is the issue here. Height isnt, similar to others but body size.

Tigers have had a good long look at him thats for sure.

Related note. Finally watched Moneyball last night with my wife. Great movie. Player trading is crazy over there.

I think the next couple of years we need to use the draft as much as possible. When Tassie are in, then start looking at higher value trades when the draft is more comprom... I mean, complex.

I think the next couple of years we need to use the draft as much as possible. When Tassie are in, then start looking at higher value trades when the draft is more comprom... I mean, complex.

Yep, which is why I'm fine with us bottoming out right now before they pillage the draft. The father/sons and NGA's are bad enough as it is. I can imagine that Hawks first rounder is gonna move back a few places already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please take this for the light hearted comment it's meant to be, and I may not be remembering correctly, but haven't you said this for the last 3 years now?

Last year I said I was done. You are correct and if it was anything other than the current situation I would have said no.

I won't be able to comment publicly on anything that happens trade wise for 24 months at all and if working in the industry for another club not at all. (It was a personal favour to do what im doing since round 10 so I sincerely doubt I do it again)

I will be able to say things like are you happy with that or similar but I can't comment on ongoing discussions and trades.

Speculating on draftees and their positions in the draft is no issue as im not involved in the recruiting team and also anything I saw now will be completely irrelevant once we have a coach.

I also cant comment on the hunt for a new senior coach other than to say a lot of work is being put in and that a lot of the candidates 'dropping out' either dont want to go through the full process or the club isn't interested in. That is all.

Remember I also may be dropping little bits of misinformation. There are a couple of posters on other boards who should know who I am and are working for clubs so there is a lot to play.

In regards to draftees Murphy Reid and Hotton don't want to leave Victoria and I don't see much difference personally between pick 1 and pick 8. Personally I don't think who I would have at 1, clubs would.

I'm pretty good at drafting flankers and talls but I do have a probably unwanted predisposition to footballers with skill and have strict guidelines in my mind of whom will make it in their preferred position and who won't. Sometimes too much exposure is worse than not enough.

Hey Phil, I don’t give a shit about any of that but can you confirm if Bond is actually associated with the club.

His insider info always comes off as like reading your horoscope in woman’s day

Hey Phil, I don’t give a shit about any of that but can you confirm if Bond is actually associated with the club.

His insider info always comes off as like reading your horoscope in woman’s day

I report directly as a contractor to Gavin and Don. I couldn't tell you however if he is involved I have a sneaking suspicion of who he is within the draft team. If he's not then he's kept quite the charade for years and some of his info has checked out over the years.

It's all irrelevant however as if I don't get anything over the line i'm trying to do i'm going to look a fool.

Hold on a sec.......you're reading horoscopes in Woman's Day?
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

More red herrings please for the lurkers...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back