List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should be looking to trade Baily Williams. He's not a full-time ruck (which we need). And as a forward/ruck, he's arguably been overtaken by Jack Williams. And as a pure forward, he's competing against Allen and Waterman. He's surplus to requirements.

And he's a Victorian, so there's a chance he'd agree to a trade if he got back home.

I feel like he'd be a solid pick-up for some clubs, given he's just turned 24 and racked up 70+ games experience.

I think we should be looking to trade Baily Williams. He's not a full-time ruck (which we need). And as a forward/ruck, he's arguably been overtaken by Jack Williams. And as a pure forward, he's competing against Allen and Waterman. He's surplus to requirements.

And he's a Victorian, so there's a chance he'd agree to a trade if he got back home.

I feel like he'd be a solid pick-up for some clubs, given he's just turned 24 and racked up 70+ games experience.
Yep he would fit Melbourne very nicely.
So would darling too

It feels obvious we will try get a experienced defender once Barrass goes, mainly to be backup and lead the WAFL team. Tom Clurey seems to be the name mentioned so far. Feel we are better off though with Jacob Blight. Proven and younger. If we need some experience in defense for the WAFL side then lets give Clurey a big contract to join the WAFL team instead of using a list spot

I think Petch would also be of interest to a very slow Carlton midfield and he might be better off in a different system.

From what I’m told Hawks offered R1 and F2 and WCE said they’d rather the F2 be a player or the Pies 2R this year as to not delay development by a year. 12 and 30 I’d be ok with.

I like Parfitt and Graham but on 2 year deals on relatively good money with a trigger for a 3rd. Not happy at all the proposed 4 years for Graham.

Someone mentioned Blight for Culley, I think that’s fair. I also think Richmond are going to ask for Maric as part of a Baker deal, he can go straight to Cockburn with Shai.

Peatling, Sheldrick and Garcia would all be good additions for the right price (although I still think Garcia has signed) and Dev would need to be feee of charge.

Petch at Carlton does make sense from a needs perspective.

Swap for Jack Carrol?

Owies would be an upgrade on any small forward we have atm,

Pasini from SD ex Port Adelaide rookie , looks fit and playing very well in defence would be a handy player to help replace Barrass , Barrass is a star player though .
Will Collins as an attacking half back is in great form also and might get redrafted possibly .
Selwood from Peel , tough competitor looks physically capable of playing AFL also .

Pasini is a must nearly though , cheap in draft capital .

It feels obvious we will try get an experienced defender once Barrass goes, mainly to be backup and lead the WAFL team. Tom Clurey seems to be the name mentioned so far. Feel we are better off though with Jacob Blight. Proven and younger. If we need some experience in defense for the WAFL side then lets give Clurey a big contract to join the WAFL team instead of using a list spot
Yes blight is what we need more than e.g Carrol

Attachments

• 1725149437996.png
    1725149437996.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 69
It feels obvious we will try get a experienced defender once Barrass goes, mainly to be backup and lead the WAFL team. Tom Clurey seems to be the name mentioned so far. Feel we are better off though with Jacob Blight. Proven and younger. If we need some experience in defense for the WAFL side then lets give Clurey a big contract to join the WAFL team instead of using a list spot

Get him playing WAFL. If the wheels fall off with injury he can come in as a MSD pickup on a six month deal to firm up the backline.

Pasini is a must nearly though , cheap in draft capital .
Good mates with Riley Garcia too. ;)

I like Jake as a footballer but suspect he's a touch too small for a KPD role at AFL level. Having said that I think his WAFL profile says 194cm so maybe not...

Tom Clurey is contracted for 2025 so if we brought him across it would need to be as an AFL listed player

Port would need to be sending him to us with a late pick for taking his contract off their books. Didn’t play a single game for them this year

He’s not a particularly attractive option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could manage the following from trade period I’d be reasonably happy.

Trade out :
Barrass for pick 13 and Hawthorn F2
Darling and pick 59 for picks 40,64

Trade in :
Graham as a FA
Baker for our F2
Peatling for Hawthorn F2

Leaves us with five picks (3,13,23,40,64) to take to the draft but no R2 pick for 2025. We’d need to delist 6 players to use all those picks, 7 if we wanted to also use pick 3 in the rookie draft

Other options/possibilities :
Out -
Ryan’s name keeps popping up. Think it’s unlikely but if he asks to be traded and we can get a pick in the 20’s or an early to mid F2 then it’s worth considering

Petruccelle might be of interest to Richmond given their outs and if we were able to get one of their R3 picks (currently 39,41,47) or an F3 I’d take it

In -
Garcia or Sheldrick would be my next preference if we miss Peatling. Maybe one of them in addition to Peatling but I’m not quite sure what we’d have trade wise.

Robertson is an alternative backup plan to the above who we might be able to get cheap with something like a swap of F3 picks with Brisbane

Parfitt, like Graham, is a free hit as a FA and at 26 is just young enough to be in the age group we are short in. If we don’t succeed in getting more than one of Peatling, Sheldrick, Garcia or Robertson then he could be handy depth on a 2 year contract

Blight has yet to sign a new contract with Richmond. At 23 years old he’d be handy KPD depth if he wants to come home to WA. Maybe we could do a straight swap for Petruccelle or Burgiel

Once trade period is over and picks are set after what shapes as one of the busiest trade weeks ever, we can look at the benefits of splitting picks or combining picks to move up

And then deciding whether or not to recontract the likes of Witherden, Trew, Burgiel and Baker. Assumes Rotham, Jones and Edwards are cut whilst Livingstone, Culley and Rawlinson are retained
Good summary of options/hopes

Whilst I love Harley starting in the guts each week, he desperately needs help. He also needs time as a forward target because we got ourselves a brilliant burst player, not an endurance beast. Unfortunately the Pieman has left us with Yeo being the only hardened inside mid. Kelly will be better on a wing or hff with occasional mid time. Hewett now looks a real worry and will take a fair time to get AFL ready if his foot can heal. Sheed is cooked. Ginbey looks best off the hbf

So we must go to market.

In terms of trading for midfielders, my preference in order
1. Peatling - main board says we have largest offer and Hawks F2 sounds ok (I’d be asking for a R3 back this year if possible)
2. Sheldrick - a F3 is my start point but might be a able to do better with a F2 if they can give us a pick in the 40’s now
3. Robertson - provided a swap of F3, I’m happy and would offer inside grunt and defensive mid
4. Parfitt - FA and has decent pace and we offer more likely starting than Cats
5. Graham - again FA but sense his lack of pace will piss me off in 3 years time

I actually don’t see Baker as a full time mid. I think he is a good player but he likely plays a utility role with stints running as a mid. If Tigers want to much, we need the AFL to cough up a FA band 3 and overpay for Graham. I’d like to explore Baker for Petruccelle plus ?? It could be Baker plus their R3 for Petch and our R2.

i get the love for Maric but if we could get Baker for Maric plus a F3, would you do it?

I like the Darling and pick 59 for picks 40,64. J Williams development this year has been great as has the form of Archer later in the season. I’d be prepared to chip in some salary to make it Darling for 40 and 64.

Petch at Carlton does make sense from a needs perspective.

Swap for Jack Carrol?

Owies would be an upgrade on any small forward we have atm,
I haven’t seen enough of Carroll to comment but something along those lines or a F2 with our F4 going back. Although their board has regularly mentioned him as delist material this year.

Also wouldn’t rule Carlton out of a play for Barrass if negotiations with Hawks stall. We could pay a huge portion of his salary with 11, F1 and maybe Carroll as steak knives coming back for our F3 and Barrass.

Tom Clurey is contracted for 2025 so if we brought him across it would need to be as an AFL listed player

Port would need to be sending him to us with a late pick for taking his contract off their books. Didn’t play a single game for them this year

He’s not a particularly attractive option
Yeah suspect we would have to do the opposite but then doubt Blight would join our WAFL shamozzle

194cm ...how tall is McGovern?
We've never figured that out haha.

I'm thinking mainly his first few years after drafting, good chance Jake has filled out since then. Pre-draft he always reminded me in playing style of Adam Hunter.

What would it take to get Blight across?
I’ve been taking on the Richmond board. He is out of contract as he only had a 6 month deal. Apparently according to gettable wce have a 2 year deal on the board and Richmond only have a 1 year. I have been talking on there board and I reckon pick 59 and or f4. He is what we need.

Feel the below is our delist list

Gaff, L.Edwards, Witherden, Jones, Rotham, Barass, Darling, Burgiel, Jamieson

9 main list spots

I think we grab 4 mature aged players and take 5 picks of like pick 3,12,29,40,67 type deal.

4 players we get will be Liam Baker , Jack Graham, James Peatling and Blight/Clurey . Kinda feel Sheldrick will stay out with Sydney for 1 more season

Don't mind the idea of some combination of Culley + Petrucelle + picks for Baker + Blight + picks. I think Culley deserves a shot at AFL level but more likely as a forward than a mid. Petrucelle would be a solid 2-3 year rental while their kids come on. Baker lands with us for a much more palatable cost than what Richmond want. Blight is older than Bazzo but a little competition doesn't hurt.

Don't mind the idea of some combination of Culley + Petrucelle + picks for Baker + Blight + picks. I think Culley deserves a shot at AFL level but more likely as a forward than a mid. Petrucelle would be a solid 2-3 year rental while their kids come on. Baker lands with us for a much more palatable cost than what Richmond want.
i get the love for Maric but if we could get Baker for Maric plus a F3, would you do it?
If I take all emotion out of it, Petruccelle, Maric and Culley for Baker, Blight and Kaleb Smith I could stomach but giving Maric a tap on the shoulder after his commitment and public comments would be gut wrenching.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back