List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnett is so bad that his form this year is on par with what he produced as an 18 year old. Hope for him and us he comes on but going to he a massive **** up if he produces shite next season. In fact next year he would need a massive year where he starts dominating at wafl level so we can justify keeping him on the list.

At this stage Barnett looks like a dumber and less athletic version of Bailey Williams
Another ROB special spud, plenty of them around.

Another ROB special spud, plenty of them around.
I don't think that's fair.
Barnett was the stand out underage ruck in 2022 just as much as Dodson is this year.
If people are now writing him off (which IMO is still too early to do) I think that's more down to development rather than the selection at the time he was drafted.

So if Hawks lose next round can we get pick 14 for barrass that's still good.

Any pick above 14 just ride the to the grand final because then they will offer future pick f1

If Brisbane progress this week, and Hawks lose to Port, Hawks finish 6th no matter who wins out of Bris v GWS/Swans next week.
So Hawks get 13, loser of Bris vs GWS/Swans gets 14
Agreed but I said if Carlton win, not Brisbane. So if Hawks and Brisbane both then lost next week Hawks would finish 5th (pick 14) and Carlton would finish 6th (pick 13).

If hawks pick is 14-18 I’d be chucking a f2 with Barass and asking for them to give us ward and their first.

Then I’d bundle 3+ hawks f1 and hope that’s enough to trade for an uncontracted Liam baker.

Actually though I’d hope we pick Draper and then travaglia, Lindsay or berry.

Would also pick up Jack Avery in rookie draft for key position depth he’s still young I rate him better than a bazzo.

Barnett for soldo would be nice

Overpay peatling get him over here

23 for baker I guess but would rather walk him through psd

Try and upgrade on our worst 10 players that’s where the improvement will come from

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jack Avery isn't playing Kpd

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clean slate for Pyke and Clarke currently but the Barrass outcome will be their first really important and measurable footy KPI. It’s an opportunity to get an important trading win for the club with a sought after player in contract. Freo have shown what can be achieved by being difficult negotiators with the Schultz and Weller trades. I’m looking forward to seeing how the new guys play this.
Not sure you want us to be what Freo have done. Yes they got 2 for Weller but they have also lost Acres, Neal, Hill, Henry, Lobb and Logue by playing hard arses. They extracted good currency on a couple but ended up coughing up too much with Hogan.

The sense was we were weak with Brockman and overpaid the Hawks because we are soft at the table. Let’s see how it goes with the Hawks on Barrass this year.

No chance we get two first rounders for Barrass. Hawks will not offer it even if they win the flag, they'd sooner walk away.

Fine. We have a 3 year contract with Barrass.

13/14 on its own won’t cut it. When it was looking 8-10 it was borderline, they need to add substantially to it now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez didn't we dodge a bullet with English. I was very keen on picking him up, happy to admit I was wrong. 206cm and gets bodied easily. No idea what has happened to him.

Nothing happened, he's always been like this. He just racks up alot of cheap ball (which I'm not sure you want a ruck doing) so people see the possie stats and think he's a good ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the Hawks will win it this year.

I'm with Keys.
Tell them we want pick 10 and its up to them how the do it.

If they can't, shop him around for the best deal.
Turning barass into a high pick is pretty easy as long as you have good relationships with other clubs.

Essendon have a very good nga prospect and a horrible draft hand.

Essendon give 8
Essendon receive 13 + 31(barass deal)

They move back 5 spots but get extra points for kako. Westcoast get a chance to draft a top tier player still.

Westcoast go to the draft with 3, 8, 23, 59

Turning barass into a high pick is pretty easy as long as you have good relationships with other clubs.

Essendon have a very good nga prospect and a horrible draft hand.

Essendon give 8
Essendon receive 13 + 31(barass deal)

They move back 5 spots but get extra points for kako. Westcoast get a chance to draft a top tier player still.

Westcoast go to the draft with 3, 8, 23, 59
TB would want to have to go to that club and that club would want to have to give him the contract he wants.

There is talk the Dons want out of this draft due to the Kako situation if they can’t trade up. So it would be on the Hawks to trade up to the Dons pick if that is the case

Surely now even the Victorian media can't twist themselves into saying Barrass is worth Hawthorn's 1st round pick.

And it seems to confirm that Scott Burns and Sam Mitchell's time with us helped a bit towards the 2018 Premiership.
Of course they helped.

Don’t forget Simmo did get us to the 2015 GF and Mitchell wasn’t at the club. He came in and got the skill level up and implemented a game plan that no one was really doing.

New coach should bring new standards and new game plan and that will help a lot. Along with drafting the best young talent in the land and recruiting players that fit a need. Those players are out there just need the list manager to identify them and get them to want to come. Money shouldn’t be an issue with our cap situation.

Hawks missed out on a lot of their targets last year as it wasn’t seen a destination club. 12 months on now they have 2 and maybe a 3 one on the hook. 2 of them only cost salary cap.

TB would want to have to go to that club and that club would want to have to give him the contract he wants.

There is talk the Dons want out of this draft due to the Kako situation if they can’t trade up. So it would be on the Hawks to trade up to the Dons pick if that is the case
My ideal scenario:

-Tb goes to hawks
-Hawks give 1st and 2nd (13 + 31)
-West coast offer 13 + 31 as a live bid on draft night 1 to Essendon

Essendon get pick 13 and kako (Without WCE Essendon would have kako and pick 28)

Worpel is the Hawks 2nd best mid. Go get a couple of mids that will crack in and have some upside (Peatling and Garcia). Plus pick 3 + 13*

Coach to get accountability.

Last two finals proved it’s not all about the ceilings of players but also players that will do a job and play a role. Hawks list is far less superior to the Dogs on talent but well drilled, belief, generally playing team first and having dip. (Foot skills helped as well)
What hurts even more is 3/4 of this board wanted Worpel at his pick, of course ROB and his team went for Ainsworth and the rest is jistory.

Martin, Humphries, Worpel, Kelly (should have been taken first time rather than traded for), Richards instead of Brander - We were very lucky to still get Allen.

It goes on and on

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back