List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah not wrong, it's probably worst case scenario, but also not exactly far fetched either.

With Hawthorn on a successful run most clubs can only dream of and pushing hard into finals.. it could be the gap between how much they want/need Barrass and our asking price just widens.

It's not like them being successful should suddenly change what we're willing to part with our contracted vice captain for.

That said, if it does pan out that he stays, with our lame draft hand we'd have to really get creative with building our list. Moneyball approach. Got cash spare but no picks.

Get that moron Dev over for a late pick for starters, then see what teams are squeezed for salary and see if we can take a player plus a pick off someone, ala Bowes to Geelong.

Other than that, we'd have to just focus on what DFA's are available.
Man if we could snag a salary dump a team for a Pick and player like Geelong did would be mint, still irks me that they snagged that trade and only sent back a 3rd rounder, classic Gold Coast mismanagement.
We'll probably have to ask Brisbane about Dev again, hopefully go after few more stop gap players, we're notoriously quiet on who we are chasing which is good, keeps the media muppets at bay somewhat but sucks that we're kept in the dark prior or even during trade week.
Agreed need to somehow Moneyball some trades to get us rolling again, Hawks have pretty much done it with some trade ins and late picks, watching them last night hoping if we don't balls up the upcoming trade periods/ player development and all facets we will be on the same trajectory.

English in action
Ocean Sea GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Think you’re getting Burns muddled up with Hickmott

Scott Burns applied for the senior coaching position in 2013 being an assistant at the club under Worsfold. Left after missing the job so never worked with Simpson

Hickmott was the backline coach in 2015 who helped with the Weagles Web and was then midfield coach in 2018.

Mitchell was a first year midfield development coach in 2018
Could've sworn Mitchell was stoppages and something else.

We need to target mids who run hard each way. TK and Yeo are witches hats after turnovers. Ditto Reid who's a kid and should be excused. Baker has the dog in him, works his ass off to win the ball back. He'd be a great get for culture alone. Could be the best option for the Barrass pick.
If Sydney get the flag and The Chad wants to return throw the sink. I'd do 3 and our future 1st in a heartbeat and assume we'll be challenging the 8 next year with him and Baker on board. No guarantees any of these kids are ever going to operate like he can. I'd play the long game via the draft too but at this stage we need results now.

Think you’re getting Burns muddled up with Hickmott

Scott Burns applied for the senior coaching position in 2013 being an assistant at the club under Worsfold. Left after missing the job so never worked with Simpson

Hickmott was the backline coach in 2015 who helped with the Weagles Web and was then midfield coach in 2018.

Mitchell was a first year midfield development coach in 2018

Could be... I thought Burns was the one who came up with the style of playof controlling the ball with accurate kick/marks & when we didn't have the ball putting pressure with zoning (the "web")... but am happy to admit I could be mistaken.

Could be... I thought Burns was the one who came up with the style of playof controlling the ball with accurate kick/marks & when we didn't have the ball putting pressure with zoning (the "web")... but am happy to admit I could be mistaken.
It was Hickmott who came up with the 'web'.

Schofield explained it a few weeks ago on his pod.

Matt Kennedy looked very annoyed on the bench. Not the first time they have messed around with him as the sub/or subbed him out.

Would we go after him if he was available?
Off field he's a bit of a God botherer
IMG_1825.jpeg

Played every game for them, in every position. Raced to the game from the birth of his kid yesterday.

Subbed after 40 minutes because the game had imploded and Vossy had to get another ruckman on.

You’d be ropable. Probably ends up being nothing but could be an interesting flashpoint.

Dev with 34D and 11 clearances in the VFL. He's played 2 AFL games all year, with the last being in round 3.

Meanwhile Lions are about to add Levi Ashcroft (Academy's - Listen to Brizkents podcast if you'd like to learn about them) kicking him even further down the pecking order.

He was supposedly "stuck behind Jarrod Lyons" and that's why he couldn't lock down an AFL gig, only Lyons is also stuck playing VFL with him, so there you go.

Still another year left on his contract but we'd be absolutely mad not trying to get him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2104611

Played every game for them, in every position. Raced to the game from the birth of his kid yesterday.

Subbed after 40 minutes because the game had imploded and Vossy had to get another ruckman on.

You’d be ropable. Probably ends up being nothing but could be an interesting flashpoint.
Too slow to go with Brisbane's mids around the park. We've got 2 of them already in Yeo and TK.

Dev with 34D and 11 clearances in the VFL. He's played 2 AFL games all year, with the last being in round 3.

Meanwhile Lions are about to add Levi Ashcroft (Academy's - Listen to Brizkents podcast if you'd like to learn about them) kicking him even further down the pecking order.

He was supposedly "stuck behind Jarrod Lyons" and that's why he couldn't lock down an AFL gig, only Lyons is also stuck playing VFL with him, so there you go.

Still another year left on his contract but we'd be absolutely mad not trying to get him in.
I see more upside with him over Graham.

I see more upside with him over Graham.

No reason why we can’t have both

Graham is a FA and Brisbane would probably be happy with Robertson off their books so a late pick this year or next likely gets it done

Both would be an improvement to the likes of Trew, Edwards or Culley through the midfield

No reason why we can’t have both

Graham is a FA and Brisbane would probably be happy with Robertson off their books so a late pick this year or next likely gets it done

Both would be an improvement to the likes of Trew, Edwards or Culley through the ter watching Hawthorn reboot the clinical ball movement from the Clarkson era against the dogs, where does Robertson fit in to that?
I never rated Priddis for the same reason. Yeah you got the ball all day, but what happened when you got it?

Yeah but who is he replacing?

Jon Ralph is stating that our pick 3 in return for Liam Baker and a top 10 pick is on the table. I think this is an awful idea , essentially we would be helping Richmond rebuild faster than we would be helping ourselves by handing them picks 1 and 3 . Having Baker would be nice but not at the cost of missing out on missing out on a Finn O'Sullivan , Sid Draper or Jagga Smith. We split our pick 2 a few years back for Ginbey and Hewett and the Jury is still out on that deal ( could have had Harry Sheezle). Maybe at best give them pick 23 this year or WC apply for an end of first round assistance pick and give them that ? ...... Thoughts ?

Jon Ralph is stating that our pick 3 in return for Liam Baker and a top 10 pick is on the table. I think this is an awful idea , essentially we would be helping Richmond rebuild faster than we would be helping ourselves by handing them picks 1 and 3 . Having Baker would be nice but not at the cost of missing out on missing out on a Finn O'Sullivan , Sid Draper or Jagga Smith. We split our pick 2 a few years back for Ginbey and Hewett and the Jury is still out on that deal ( could have had Harry Sheezle). Maybe at best give them pick 23 this year or WC apply for an end of first round assistance pick and give them that ? ...... Thoughts ?
Depends on how we rate the top 10 - if we consider it to be fairly even, then I imagine we'd look at it closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back