List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The classic one everyone forgets, and granted he is a good player (and hindsight helps with what Waterman did this year) is we were trying to trade up to get Cadman rather than down to get Ginbey/Hewett.

We only did the split pick after it was obvious GWS were getting ahead of us and taking Cadman.

For all of the teeth gnashing around here about Ginbey being a HB rather than mid, and Hewett struggling to get on the park, imagine if we had yet another KPF on our list

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we took Cadman no way we take Archer

Can the Baker supporters explain what footballing attributes they see that makes him worthy of trading a top 3 pick down or even just pick 23?

His main attributes are speed and agility which are generally the first to go with age. He’s got the absolute best out of his ability due to being plugged into a system that essentially relied on players scrambling the ball forward at all costs with minimal regard to precise disposal.

This year he attended over a third (35%) of CBAs for an average of one centre clearance a match at the feet of a ruckman averaging over 30 hit outs a match.

He has a kicking efficiency of 56% and a disposal efficiency of 65% which is the last thing we need running out of the backline or going into F50.

He’s kicked 14 goals for the year and with Ryan, Long, Brockman and soon Champion on the list the forward line is the last third we need to reinforce.

Where is the need for a high priced 27 year old 173cm utility, particularly in a deep draft?

Johnson over chesser for 1 .

Ginbey and Hewett are fine .

Brander WTF were we thinking

Venables?

So many left field first round picks that went against the grain and group consensus.
Johnson’s hardly been tearing it up. If we had him on the list instead of Chesser, people would be calling him a bust.

I think the pick downgrade only works if it’s 3 to 6 and the Eagles feel you could throw a blanket over the kids in that range. It gets more speculative once you’re down to 9 or 10. If we think we’re getting a kid at 6 largely as good as 3, plus Baker, we’ll be doing alright.
Yep has to be 6, in front of Saints. As they'll likely get extra first rounder (absolutely ridiculous BTW).

But only if the deal gets done.

I agree getting in those 3rd round and 4th round picks would be very useful.
My trades for the offseason:

Jack Darling for 40 from North.
Petch for 47 from Richmond
Barnett for Pick 42 from Adelaide.
Barras and future 2nd for Picks 14 (Could change even more probs will), F1, and 30.
We could even trade 3 down to Adelaide on draft night if they are desperate for Sid Draper which I would if it to happen it would look like 3 for 4 and 25 but I would prefer for us to pick Sid but that is just an option to generate more picks.
That in the end leaves us with picks:
3 Sid Draper
14 Tobie Travaglia
23 Alix Taura
30 Noah Mraz
40 Hamish Davis (must get him)
42 Kale Gerynn
47 and 59 suck up in Champion bid.
Probably rookie draft a good state ruck to fill the void of our bad rucks
This is where I'm currently at,

3 - finn/langford/draper
8 - lalor/travaglia/lingsay/berry
23 - peatling
40 - dennis/ofarrel/mraz
49/59 - malakia bid

Get 13-15 and Hawks f1 from barass and offer it to essendon for pick 8. Pick 40 from darling. Get peatling and pick 49 from our pick 23. Gerryn looks awesome, only concern he's not tall enough to ruck and we have ample kpf. If miss out on peatling maybe davis or baker. Another 4th rounder from petch for knobel or dev

Can the Baker supporters explain what footballing attributes they see that makes him worthy of trading a top 3 pick down or even just pick 23?

His main attributes are speed and agility which are generally the first to go with age. He’s got the absolute best out of his ability due to being plugged into a system that essentially relied on players scrambling the ball forward at all costs with minimal regard to precise disposal.

This year he attended over a third (35%) of CBAs for an average of one centre clearance a match at the feet of a ruckman averaging over 30 hit outs a match.

He has a kicking efficiency of 56% and a disposal efficiency of 65% which is the last thing we need running out of the backline or going into F50.

He’s kicked 14 goals for the year and with Ryan, Long, Brockman and soon Champion on the list the forward line is the last third we need to reinforce.

Where is the need for a high priced 27 year old 173cm utility, particularly in a deep draft?
I think another mature age player L.baker/J.peatling at the expense of our R2 wouldn't be the end of the world if it unlocks/protects HR9 further. I'd like to think we should have 2 very good picks inside top 15, we could prob spare 23 for a role player idk just my thoughts

I think another mature age player L.baker/J.peatling at the expense of our R2 wouldn't be the end of the world if it unlocks/protects HR9 further. I'd like to think we should have 2 very good picks inside top 15, we could prob spare 23 for a role player idk just my thoughts
Peatling I can understand where he fits into our setup and how he can unlock the strengths of other players. The point to the post was where does Baker fit? There are plenty of low/no cost mature age players we can bring in. Why specifically Baker?

I'm not sure about Baker... Good player but doesn't really have a defined position... Is he a back pocket or forward flanker... Or tagger...

Bit of a risk to get him at a high trade price without really knowing what to do with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peatling I can understand where he fits into our setup and how he can unlock the strengths of other players. The point to the post was where does Baker fit? There are plenty of low/no cost mature age players we can bring in. Why specifically Baker?
Barass' trade value has amplified with Hawks ability to free up sicily/weddle/hardwick could you argue if we bring in baker duggan/Hough/ginbey can rotate through the Midfield without throwing out to much of our structure.

I've told you, he's been linked to North.
FFS.

Darling would conceivably improve a number of Vic clubs including Collingwood.
Collingwood currently have a broken down Dan McStay and a passed his use by date Brady Mihocek as their kpfs.
Frequently use WHE as a fill in. Not that funny at all.

Barass' trade value has amplified with Hawks ability to free up sicily/weddle/hardwick could you argue if we bring in baker duggan/Hough/ginbey can rotate through the Midfield without throwing out to much of our structure.
You could make that argument for any mature body. Dev, Graham etc anyone that’s low or no cost. Why Baker specifically? If the insinuation is we fits into a HBF/mid rotation then we arrive back at the rubbish kicking efficiency. Exactly what we have all been complaining about coming out of D50 all year and what we don’t need.

I'm not sure about Baker... Good player but doesn't really have a defined position... Is he a back pocket or forward flanker... Or tagger...

Bit of a risk to get him at a high trade price without really knowing what to do with him.
Cripps replacement who can also chop out in the middle or down back if we have injuries. Like Jayden Hunt, he'd be there to fill a role while the kids come on.

Cripps replacement who can also chop out in the middle or down back if we have injuries. Like Jayden Hunt, he'd be there to fill a role while the kids come on.
Excellent comparison but difference being Hunt was free of draft capital. Would anyone have traded pick 23 for him or split pick 3? Parfitt (different role) is free of draft capital, Graham is free of draft capital and we still have Cripps for another year with another batch of free agents at the end of next year

The catastrophising over a theoretical trade by a known numpty Victorian journalist for a player who has yet to announce his intentions so seek a trade, let alone nominate us is next level

Take a Bex and have a lie down some of you. There’s 4 weeks to go before the trade period starts so save your melts until something actually happens

The club hasn’t said anything much at all other than to say they want to bring in as much talent as possible using all the levers available to them with a priority on using high end draft picks. Sounds like a solid base strategy

And using the post by WCE_phil as a guide, there’s work being done behind the scenes to achieve those goals. If they’re ambitious, they may not eventuate but at least we’re having a throw at the stumps

Judge the trades when they happen, who knows we might be pleasantly surprised

The catastrophising over a theoretical trade by a known numpty Victorian journalist for a player who has yet to announce his intentions so seek a trade, let alone nominate us is next level
Not sure if that included my original post but the point is not the nuances of the trade the point is asking what people see Baker actually bringing into the system. Peatling for example is obvious. Baker is not. At least to me.

“Leadership”, “hardness” etc are all things we can find at low or no cost if we’re just looking for a body to protect younger players.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back