List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
WCE were only 1 of 2 clubs who didnt have all players signed to contracts that raised in line with the salary cap. I can find out the other but from memory it wasn't Freo.
Confirm it is Essendon - HUN had a long article about us and the Drug Rats and the CBA increase with implications

Has anyone had any further tidbits of information re Carlton's Jack Carroll?
Out of Contract, 15 games this year, left footer, good skills and footy IQ, still only 21 years of age, with I believe good upside, tough to crack into Carltons midfield.
What would a trade look like if SEN Peter Vlahos is correct that he might be looking for a trade back to WA?

Career average probably isnt the best way to compare what they are worth now. Bailey Smith started his career very well but has completely stagnated. Boltons AFL player rating of 15.1 last year playing only 50% in the middle is extremely extremely good. When Smith played in the middle in 2022 his rating was only 11.7. Not to mention Smith hasnt played at an above average level for two years.

19 games, Ave 23.5 disposals, 3.5 clearances, 350 metres gained as a 22yo in 2023. At the Eagles we dream of players stagnating that much 🤣

I get he was better in 2021 and 2022 (his 2022 is pretty much better than any season Bolton has produced) - and that he is coming off a major injury, but he is a very very good player yet to hit his prime (turns 24 in Dec).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

19 games, Ave 23.5 disposals, 3.5 clearances, 350 metres gained as a 22yo in 2023. At the Eagles we dream of players stagnating that much 🤣

I get he was better in 2021 and 2022 (his 2022 is pretty much better than any season Bolton has produced) - and that he is coming off a major injury, but he is a very very good player yet to hit his prime (turns 24 in Dec).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Didn't Bevo start jerking him around in 2023 as well.

Seriously getting players out of Bevo's hands will do them wonders if they aren't his fav's.

Out of Contract, 15 games this year, left footer, good skills and footy IQ, still only 21 years of age, with I believe good upside, tough to crack into Carltons midfield.
What would a trade look like if SEN Peter Vlahos is correct that he might be looking for a trade back to WA?
I would certainly hope WC are having those discussions, and I’m almost certain they would be, exactly the sort of player we should be looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doesnt have good skills, hes a poor kick like a duggan

I value our current 2nd round pick 23 on draft night to be around pick 28. At 28 it's sort of in the middle of nowhere and i think we can leverage it better (if peatling/baker cant be traded with first imo). If adelaide can land Cummings for nothing they'd prob be more than happy to take our pick 3 and give us their pick 25 to move up one spot assuming they are keen on draper.

Crows= 3
Wce= 4 + 25

Play hard ball and get Hawks 13 and f1 for Barass, and we agree to pay Tom's 3 remaining years out.

Hawks= Barass
WCE= 13 + Hawks f1

Instead of GC getting rioli they get Noble at a significantly lower price and still get the running half back flanker. 23 + 25 similar point index to pick 6 and we chuck in Hawks f1 which will be very appealing to GC. At pick 6 rioli is terribly overated, we can get them the same points plus the future first tied to Hawks.

GC get= 23(WCE) + 25(adelaide) + hawks f1
Wce get= pick 6

WCE= lose 3(draper) and Barass
WCE= goes to the draft with 4, 6, 13, 59

Add a couple more 4th rounders from petch or darling to bring in a kpb and malakai

doesnt have good skills, hes a poor kick like a duggan
Thanks for your opinion, obviously lost all his skill when he entered the AFL

While still quite light, the smooth moving left-footer has terrific poise and provides great value going forward with his skill execution on the move
Carroll is particularly effective by foot, as he can hit targets with ease on his favoured left side and open up the game on the end of carving moves out of congestion. He is the kind of player who you want to be delivering the ball inside 50, as he is often able to lower his eyes and hit-up leading targets.

Conversely. they were 1-6 to start the season, went 13-3 (2 of those loses were by 2 points and 1 point) to end the season, and have now won a final.

Maybe they are just good.
Have had a fair bit go their way though. Not really many injuries to key players during the season.

Really curious to see how they finish the year because they still lack some genuinely elite players and are getting by on system and team mentality, which is sometimes enough to be fair, but falls apart when you get figured out and your player quality gets exposed.

More often than not you’ll run into an equally well drilled side that have more match winners.

Still think they regress next year.

Hawthorn reportedly have plenty of cap space so suggestions that we might be able to improve our trade return by paying some of TB’s salary aren’t likely to eventuate

They’ll be wanting to keep as much of their draft hand intact as possible and have no need to dilute it to gain cap space they don’t need

If we somehow manage to get their R1 and F1 without anything going back we’ll have done brilliantly

The minimum we should get is their R1 plus 30 or F2 so anything short of that would be disappointing

Thanks for your opinion, obviously lost all his skill when he entered the AFL

While still quite light, the smooth moving left-footer has terrific poise and provides great value going forward with his skill execution on the move
Carroll is particularly effective by foot, as he can hit targets with ease on his favoured left side and open up the game on the end of carving moves out of congestion. He is the kind of player who you want to be delivering the ball inside 50, as he is often able to lower his eyes and hit-up leading targets.
Have you seen him play for Carlton, he has a very awkward kicking action and seems to favour the handball. He Doesnt look like a player that will improve our squad much. He was around pick 40 in his draft and can see why wasn't taken early as he doesnt seem that good or any better than what we already have and players we are likely to delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back