List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw the book at either Hawthorne or geelongs player development coach and recruiters.
Relying on recruiting talent for picks, or sitting on the bottom for years for talented picks is a suboptimal, and dated approach

MWT had a couple of Eagle talking points.
Jayz put forward the
Hawks 13* and F1
For
TB and F2.

All seemed to agree this is where it will go.

Jack Darling at least 2 year deal on the table from the Roos. F4 mentioned if we don’t chip in, pick in the 30s if we do (way too much m). JayZ questioned why the Roos would even go down this path. He then went all Vic Journo nuffie and Said if he can’t get a game at the Eagles (missed like 1 game) why would he get a game at the Roos. Well because our key position are so much better than theirs.
Ralph: “both sides (Eagles and Hawks) have leverage. F**king idiot. At least Clark pretends to be objective.

Darling and the 200k salary to North for pick 40. Sounds like Parker to Norf is also on the cards. They may also ask for pick 40 but maybe prefer future selections for their NGA next year.

Sounds like we want picks, also I'm not sure we can realistically hold Barrass to his contract if we cant get a deal done, we've very clearly pushed him out. I mean technically we could? I can see that Hawks may have a slither of power in the trade too?

We will get their first rounder and Hawthorn will also offer their future second imo we need to be pressing hard for their current second rounder instead (Collingwood's pick) because they will likely make finals next year too and apparently there are plenty of high end academy and father/sons expected similar to last year.

Sounds like we want picks, also I'm not sure we can realistically hold Barrass to his contract if we cant get a deal done, we've very clearly pushed him out. I mean technically we could? I can see that Hawks may have a slither of power in the trade too?
You're right....We may as well just give him up for pick 122. Maybe chuck in 3 as a sweetener.

MWT had a couple of Eagle talking points.
Jayz put forward the
Hawks 13* and F1
For
TB and F2.

All seemed to agree this is where it will go.

Jack Darling at least 2 year deal on the table from the Roos. F4 mentioned if we don’t chip in, pick in the 30s if we do (way too much m). JayZ questioned why the Roos would even go down this path. He then went all Vic Journo nuffie and Said if he can’t get a game at the Eagles (missed like 1 game) why would he get a game at the Roos. Well because our key position are so much better than theirs.

Given our F2 will probably only be 4 spots behind the hawks F1 Id prefer if we can make it barass + F3 for 2 first rounders.

We will get their first rounder and Hawthorn will also offer their future second imo we need to be pressing hard for their current second rounder instead (Collingwood's pick) because they will likely make finals next year too and apparently there are plenty of high end academy and father/sons expected similar to last year.
Of course we can hold Barrass to his contract. We can also field offers from nine other Victorian clubs.

It is up to the Hawks to make an offer we deem good enough to release Barrass from the remaining three years of his contract. It’s that simple.

If Hawks don’t pony up, we just go to Barrass and tell him we will need to trade him to someone else if he wants his pay rise. He will quickly find someone else, we get the deal done and Hawks are out in the cold.

After all, there are 10 teams in Victoria right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hawks don’t pony up, we just go to Barrass and tell him we will need to trade him to someone else if he wants his pay rise. He will quickly find someone else, we get the deal done and Hawks are out in the cold.

After all, there are 10 teams in Victoria right.

Honestly shocked Carlton haven’t entered the race, their cap is tight but they could still afford him and they have pick 11.

Speaking of Jack Macrae he is very much a great comparison to Langford in this draft .

Tall inside mid , smart left footer with average pace .

Given our F2 will probably only be 4 spots behind the hawks F1 Id prefer if we can make it barass + F3 for 2 first rounders.
Hawks have a risk of an injury year or a down year like the Cats last year and Pies this year ect.

I think the F2 is fair. Compo picks to go in there and maybe even our own priority picks if all turns to crap next year. NGA and Academy’s as well

Like f we can’t hold him to his contract.

If he wants more money, then he also won’t care who pays up. He may have his preference now, but hired guns go where the smell of money there is.

Or go back to existing contract. He may have a tough choice to make.

Hawks have a risk of an injury year or a down year like the Cats last year and Pies this year ect.

I think the F2 is fair. Compo picks to go in there and maybe even our own priority picks if all turns to crap next year. NGA and Academy’s as well
There's going to be a lot of academy and nga kids in the middle of next years first round.

From Fox Footy:

BARRASS TRADE DETAILS REVEALED

West Coast Eagles superstar Tom Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn, but how will a deal get done?

According to the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark, Hawthorn will need to give up two first round picks to secure the star Eagles defender.

“They want two first round picks the Eagles. I know that sounds like a lot for a 28-year-old key defender, he’s going to be 29 by the start of next season, but the Hawks are in a tricky position here for two reasons,” Clark told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“A, he’s contracted which gives West Coast the upper hand and B, because of the Hawks’ rise their first-round picks keep shuffling back. By the time we get the Academy picks, the father-son, the free agency compensation, that could slide right back to 18, 19, 20 plus potentially,” he said.

“That on its own we know is not going to satisfy West Coast for Tom Barrass who is one of the best key defenders in the competition.

“This is what’s going to happen. West Coast is going to ask for two first round picks. The Hawks’ first this year and their first next year and then potentially give a second round back. Hawthorn’s first round pick next year essentially becomes West Coast’s second round pick which will be early in the 20s, a bit of a pick slide but the part which will irk Hawthorn fans and Hawthorn list management chiefs is two first round picks, that’s a lot on the surface. Optically that’s good for West Coast because he’s a contracted player.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph though the trade was too much from a Hawthorn perspective.

“It’s too much because West Coast want him off their books. They want to get into the draft early on and Hawthorn’s desperate for him and they’ve got players like Calsher Dear in the 50s, Nick Watson’s going to be a gun, and they brought in players like Ginnivan and that deal itself is going to neutralize,” he said.

“So, both sides will have leverage, if you’re Hawthorn you’re getting that deal done because as much as we all love Sam Frost, you’re bringing in this interceptor that turns you into an even better and maybe the best defence in the competition.”

xxxxxxx

Please somebody translate what the hell Jon Ralph is talking about there?

That’s just confusing.

It’s too much for Hawthorn to pay because the Eagles ‘want him off their books’? - something pretty much only he has now suggested surely? I think the Eagles are happy with Barrass on the books on the contract he signed, just not on a longer, more expensive contract, which they are well within their rights to do, given it has 3 more years to run.

Hawthorn are desperate for him because they’ve got Calsher Dear and Nick Watson and…Ginnivan? and that will ‘neutralize’ the deal? What does that mean?

It’s too much but they will do it because they’ve drafted well (I think?)…. but also both sides have leverage?

That's because Bevo is an idiot and either plays him out of position or as the sub.Macrae is still an absolute gun.
I wish that was true. He's a liability in the middle these days, with the game getting faster and him getting slower. I think Bevo's a nutter in a lot of regards too, but Macrae is past it. Even his kicking which used to be sublime has deteriorated.

He's been one of my favourite non-Eagles players to watch last decade, so I believe this with a bit of sadness. Hopefully he does turn it around at another club cos I'd love to be wrong here.

That Jack Carroll highlight vid was pretty decent tbh.

Odd player, strange gait, but penetrating left foot and appeared to be a good combo of inside/outside.

Wouldn't kick up much of a fuss parting ways with our 4th rounder (59) to get him. OOC from my understanding and with more responsibility and game time it wouldn't be surprising to see him continue his upwards trajectory.

Carroll, Dev, certainly helps our list profile.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back