List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Macrae play gimp wing?

I’d take him on for a first round pick salary dump like the BODEs got with Bowes.

We need to play the salary floor, he can help out the youngsters and get another talented youngster in the draft.

No way I’d pay a pick out of our own pocket though.

I’d like to think the gimp wing is a relic of the past and we have two competent wingers that both attack and defend equally

Just watching gettable,
And Riley and Cal actually laugh when they said this - but they speculate Josh Rotham or similar could end up at Essendon as an unrestricted free agent. There’s no context, they laugh at Rotham. End of.

😬

About three minutes in.
Our new list boss is on the show, haven’t got that far yet

Just watching gettable,
And Riley and Cal actually laugh when they said this - but they speculate Josh Rotham or similar could end up at Essendon as an unrestricted free agent. There’s no context, they laugh at Rotham. End of.

😬

About three minutes in.

Gonna give it a watch after I'm done watching NXT, but I did catch the start and they said clubs are in Melbourne today doing a little bit of 'speed dating' of the sort to discuss player movement and such. Did catch the little snicker about Rotham to Essendon. Fair enough :tearsofjoy:

Gonna give it a watch after I'm done watching NXT, but I did catch the start and they said clubs are in Melbourne today doing a little bit of 'speed dating' of the sort to discuss player movement and such. Did catch the little snicker about Rotham to Essendon. Fair enough :tearsofjoy:
They weren’t laughing at Rotham, it was Cal’s little “Dons go whacko for Kako” that got the kids giggling.

Really not a fan of Hawks 1R + F1 with our F2 going back. That's stupid. Hawk's two first-rounders is honestly fair considering they will both likely be later selections. Sending back a F3 is fine, but our F2 undervalues Barrass.

Having said that, I do really want Hawthorn's F1. As others have pointed out, a slide down the ladder is certainly possible for Hawthorn next year. Although for that same reason, they will understandably be reluctant to give it up, but tough cookies. If they want our star KPD to help them win a premiership, they need to pay up.

TBH, I'd even prefer their F1 and Collingwood's 2R pick this year over the two first-rounders with our F2 going back. At least we could get lucky next year if Hawks have a bad run, and now their 1R pick has likely slid out of the TT/Allan/Lindsay range anyway.

Been discussed ad nause but is it just time to do away with contracts considering how many contracted players are effectively using free agency to leave and nominate their destination nowadays?

What’s the point in persisting

Apologies for the absence yesterday, I have another project taking priority but back tomorrow with a full slate of vids and plenty to catch up on from last weekend.

----

For any other player this would be worthy of a "Dominant Performance" tag, but for Jagga it was just a good solid outing. One point that I think needs to be emphasised here is that earlier in the year I and other draft watchers had two criticisms of Jagga's play. One, that he didn't apply as much defensive pressure as you would like to see from an inside mid. And two, that he sometimes lacked hurt factor with his possessions and would take the less damaging but safer option instead of going direct. In recent weeks it appears that he's taken this on board (perhaps his coaches were also giving him the same feedback) as the defensive side of his game in particular has improved dramatically. Not to mention he's now using his pace to break clear with attacking forward runs, and biting off much more attacking options by foot. He's even started to hit the scoreboard more frequently. There's very little left in his game to criticise any more.

EAGLES WANT TWO FIRST ROUNDERS!!!

I like how this stupid headline is constantly banded around for Barrass like we're taking the piss and absolutely "ripping off" Hawk's.

When the reality is those "firsts" are barely going to be firsts to begin with. Certainly not top end selections.

This year's pick is what, 14-18 now? Whilst next year's first could be anywhere from 14-18 again given Hawthorns likely trajectory. Meanwhile we're apparently handing over our F2 in this scenario, which could be around pick 20.

So what, pick 14-18 plus a downgrade of their draft pick next year by 6 odd places, for a contracted vice captain in Tom Barrass?

Only way it doesn't work out for Hawthorn is if they wet the bed next year and buck the trend of what everyone thinks and miss finals. Which is even more unlikely with Barrass in their side.

It's a pretty flaccid trade for WCE if you ask me.
Is it kinda like what we paid for kelly?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot on here seem to think Hawthorn's future first might end up being a good pick as they might slide due to a harder fixture and their system being worked out.

I have the opposite opinion.
I can't seem them not making top 4 next year.

I don't think they've been given enough credit TBH.
Apart from a bad loss in Geelong, in the last 15 rounds they've been destroying sides.

A 2 point and 1 point loss to GWS and Port which they both should've won.

Add Barrass and Battle to the side and they're a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see how we don't involve players in the Barrass trade. Hawks don't have the draft capital.

I don't know the players well enough but a Henry Hustwaite or Sam Butler would be worth a look in a deal. They are the extra 2nd rounders that makes it work.

Barrass + future 2nd for 1st Rounder (15-20) + Future 1st + Hustwaite.

Alternatively a three-way trade where Hawks send a pick or player to, say, Carlton, and we get Carroll. (Or Bulldogs/Garcia, GWS/Peatling, whoever)

Just watching gettable,

😬

About three minutes in.
Its worth me watching gettable just to see this

A lot on here seem to think Hawthorn's future first might end up being a good pick as they might slide due to a harder fixture and their system being worked out.

I have the opposite opinion.
I can't seem them not making top 4 next year.

I don't think they've been given enough credit TBH.
Apart from a bad loss in Geelong, in the last 15 rounds they've been destroying sides.

A 2 point and 1 point loss to GWS and Port which they both should've won.

Add Barrass and Battle to the side and they're a lot better.

They’ve had the easiest fixture in the AFL and are definitely overachieving, it’s not out of the question that with a much harder fixture and being the hunted rather than the hunter that they have an underwhelming 2025. Similar to Fremantle when they made finals a couple years ago and then missed the 8 altogether the next season.

I don’t think Hawthorn will slide that far but can definitely see it being a top 12 pick again.

I don’t get how anyone wouldn’t be happy with two firsts, even if we give a 2nd back. The reality is Barrass is nearly 29 years old and it’s clear we want him to go, as it’s mutually beneficial.

We’d be doing very well to get two top 15ish picks for him, even if we’re giving up a top 25 pick back next year.

Hawks F1 could also be used for the Suns pick 12 this year.

Clarke comes across well. Gave little as expected but felt like he has something up his sleeve.

I think we split pick 3 if there in an option going by that. Might not be a trade partner though.
He said there are 5 options in consideration for pick 3.

Can't see us trading 3, Barrass pick if it keeps going further, would be the Baker offer.

Cal saying he would be surprised if Darling (and Luke Parker) weren't at NM next year

Sad to see Darling go but probably for the best

Not sure about predictions of Hawks sliding down, their young team gets another pre-season under their belts and they add Barrass and Battle to their backline. Coming into 2025 they will be a stronger team.

While the difference between Hawks F1 and our F2 might seem minimal, once you add in FA compo's and other dilutions, it would not be unreasonable to expect it to be a 6-10 pick difference. E.g. We finish 14th F2=pick 23, Hawks finish 4th F1=pick 15-16. Then add the dilution mechanisms and its not an insignificant upgrade.

If they do falter (miss top 8) and we rise out of the bottom 4, that could blow out to 10-15 spot upgrade.

Matt Clarke/Gettable summary.

Darling most likely gone according to Cal.

WC sound keen to split if they can to get multiple picks in the top 20.

Clarke didn't sound overly confident in getting Baker.

WC looking at about 5 players for pick 3 should they hold.

Chasing a number of player's in the trade/FA period. We all knew that.

We'll probably get a KPD in the draft. Didn't outright say that, but that's the impression.

Twomey raised Rotham as possibility for Essendon should Laverde leave.

Matt Clarke/Gettable summary.

Darling most likely gone according to Cal.

WC sound keen to split if they can to get multiple picks in the top 20.

Clarke didn't sound overly confident in getting Baker.

WC looking at about 5 players for pick 3 should they hold.

Chasing a number of player's in the trade/FA period. We all knew that.

We'll probably get a KPD in the draft. Didn't outright say that, but that's the impression.

Twomey raised Rotham as possibility for Essendon should Laverde leave.
oh that Clarke

Sooooo....

A priority Pick is off the table for us this year?

Seems to be ZERO discussion around it.
I honestly forgot about this. Even if we don't get one or multiple priority picks (which based on recent precedent we should) then at the very least we should be making a fuss about not applying to dissuade priority picks from being handed out in future.
In short, we should either get them or set our own precedent to prevent future teams from getting them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back