List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly forgot about this. Even if we don't get one or multiple priority picks (which based on recent precedent we should) then at the very least we should be making a fuss about not applying to dissuade priority picks from being handed out in future.
In short, we should either get them or set our own precedent to prevent future teams from getting them.

Are we going to wait for a 4th consecutive five wins or under season before we put our hand out?

Was interesting listening to Cal talk about the pick one offer from Melbourne last year.

Pick 6,11 & 42 plus pick 5 this year.

I guess for me the interesting part is that if Harley ever did leave i doubt we ever get that kind of offer again. Hopefully he loves it over here and forms a good footballing relationship with his teammates and new coach.

Hawks lose a prelim and the Saints get band 1 for Battle. Richmond get 6 for Rioli and 10 and 11 for Bolton. We overpay for Graham to generate pick 22 compo over pick 40.

WCE in: 10, 11, 16, HAWKS F1, Baker
WCE out: 3, F2, Barrass

Rich in: 3, HAWKS F2
Rich out: 10, 11, Baker

Hawks in: Barrass, WCE F2
Hawks out: 16, F1, F2

9am on day 1 of the trade period. Knock off early and pop in at Jesters on the way home.
team america vomit GIF

Matt Clarke/Gettable summary.

Darling most likely gone according to Cal.

WC sound keen to split if they can to get multiple picks in the top 20.

Clarke didn't sound overly confident in getting Baker.

WC looking at about 5 players for pick 3 should they hold.

Chasing a number of player's in the trade/FA period. We all knew that.

We'll probably get a KPD in the draft. Didn't outright say that, but that's the impression.

Twomey raised Rotham as possibility for Essendon should Laverde leave.

Also pretty firm on Liam Ryan not being traded.

Sounds way too open to trading pick 3 for my liking tbh

Was interesting listening to Cal talk about the pick one offer from Melbourne last year.

Pick 6,11 & 42 plus pick 5 this year.

I guess for me the interesting part is that if Harley ever did leave i doubt we ever get that kind of offer again. Hopefully he loves it over here and forms a good footballing relationship with his teammates and new coach.
If Harley is at the Dees they probably would’ve won a few more games too so a little hard to judge.

Harley
For
Curtin/Tholstup/Lalor (maybe TT if Melbourne won two more games with Harley)

Hawks lose a prelim and the Saints get band 1 for Battle. Richmond get 6 for Rioli and 10 and 11 for Bolton. We overpay for Graham to generate pick 22 compo over pick 40.

WCE in: 10, 11, 16, HAWKS F1, Baker
WCE out: 3, F2, Barrass

Rich in: 3, HAWKS F2
Rich out: 10, 11, Baker

Hawks in: Barrass, WCE F2
Hawks out: 16, F1, F2

9am on day 1 of the trade period. Knock off early and pop in at Jesters on the way home.

Let's break it down (after F/S and NGAs)

3, F30, Barrass

for

13, 14, 20, F20 and Baker.....

Nah.

Matt Clarke/Gettable summary.

Darling most likely gone according to Cal.

WC sound keen to split if they can to get multiple picks in the top 20.

Clarke didn't sound overly confident in getting Baker.

WC looking at about 5 players for pick 3 should they hold.

Chasing a number of player's in the trade/FA period. We all knew that.

We'll probably get a KPD in the draft. Didn't outright say that, but that's the impression.

Twomey raised Rotham as possibility for Essendon should Laverde leave.
I read most the same way. Would add I reckon he would love a coach in place asap as part of his recruitment pitch.

Extended interview will be worth a listen that they normally release a few days later.

They’ve had the easiest fixture in the AFL and are definitely overachieving, it’s not out of the question that with a much harder fixture and being the hunted rather than the hunter that they have an underwhelming 2025. Similar to Fremantle when they made finals a couple years ago and then missed the 8 altogether the next season.

I don’t think Hawthorn will slide that far but can definitely see it being a top 12 pick again.

I don’t get how anyone wouldn’t be happy with two firsts, even if we give a 2nd back. The reality is Barrass is nearly 29 years old and it’s clear we want him to go, as it’s mutually beneficial.

We’d be doing very well to get two top 15ish picks for him, even if we’re giving up a top 25 pick back next year.

Hawks F1 could also be used for the Suns pick 12 this year.
Saying they've had the easiest draw is just wrong.
Sure they got Ade, North and Richmond twice, but they also got GWS, Geelong and Collingwood twice.

They finished 7th at the end of the home and away season so you think they will miss the 8?

They've got a gun coach, a heap of kids and will add 2 A grade defenders.

So you think getting picks 15 and 16 say and giving a pick around 21 for a contracted KPD is a good deal?

That's just madness IMO.

We're in the box seat for once.
Tell the Hawks it's pick 10 or we shop him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can try . Adelaide is also after lukosious and neale-bullen both contracted .

They will need to give up something of value for them then have picks for welsh father/son pick .
Lukosious will be Adelaide's f1 that'd suit GC. If we can guarantee langord or osullivan at pick 4, we should definitely consider doing a pick swap with adelaide 3 into 4 and getting ideally 27 or 42 back

Not sure about predictions of Hawks sliding down, their young team gets another pre-season under their belts and they add Barrass and Battle to their backline. Coming into 2025 they will be a stronger team.

While the difference between Hawks F1 and our F2 might seem minimal, once you add in FA compo's and other dilutions, it would not be unreasonable to expect it to be a 6-10 pick difference. E.g. We finish 14th F2=pick 23, Hawks finish 4th F1=pick 15-16. Then add the dilution mechanisms and its not an insignificant upgrade.

If they do falter (miss top 8) and we rise out of the bottom 4, that could blow out to 10-15 spot upgrade.
New players, particularly key position ones, can upset your balance.

Saying they've had the easiest draw is just wrong.
Sure they got Ade, North and Richmond twice, but they also got GWS, Geelong and Collingwood twice.

They finished 7th at the end of the home and away season so you think they will miss the 8?

They've got a gun coach, a heap of kids and will add 2 A grade defenders.

So you think getting picks 15 and 16 say and giving a pick around 21 for a contracted KPD is a good deal?

That's just madness IMO.

We're in the box seat for once.
Tell the Hawks it's pick 10 or we shop him.
Collingwood missed the eight. So that's a pretty handy draw.

From what was said preference is to hold pick 3
But would like multiple picks in top 20 but so does every other club
so unlikely we spilt
Baker sounds unlikely
Peatling was very circumspect on, quietly confident

I don’t know how he doesn’t know where Bolton is at with both clubs? Shouldn’t he know? I am hoping it was just batting it away.

Would have preferred he said two first round picks for barrass. Did not like clurey thing. Didn’t rule it out.

Where is pieman! At least he would say what we wanted to hear….or nothing.

Darling saying what he should have said about barrass- commitment to jack and upcoming preseason.

Ryan expects to stay

Rotham no idea

Harley Reid discussions all year. Very confident of building right system to ensure he is comfortable. Sounded bullish.

Waterman close to new deal.

Allen - talking about extending most of year. Sounds like Allen wanted to know about direction of club but ok with where Allen sits. Sounded confident.

Baker choosing Freo will be another example of this club being saved from itself. Which, sadly, has resulted in some of the best off field outcomes for us over the past few years.

My gut feel is that Baker will only announce his club when he knows the trade deal is effectively agreed.

EAGLES WANT TWO FIRST ROUNDERS!!!

I like how this stupid headline is constantly banded around for Barrass like we're taking the piss and absolutely "ripping off" Hawk's.

When the reality is those "firsts" are barely going to be firsts to begin with. Certainly not top end selections.

This year's pick is what, 14-18 now? Whilst next year's first could be anywhere from 14-18 again given Hawthorns likely trajectory. Meanwhile we're apparently handing over our F2 in this scenario, which could be around pick 20.

So what, pick 14-18 plus a downgrade of their draft pick next year by 6 odd places, for a contracted vice captain in Tom Barrass?

Only way it doesn't work out for Hawthorn is if they wet the bed next year and buck the trend of what everyone thinks and miss finals. Which is even more unlikely with Barrass in their side.

It's a pretty flaccid trade for WCE if you ask me.

Agreed. It grabs headlines but in actual fact is a pretty poor trade for us.

The slither of hope would be the Hawks regressing next year. At the moment they are killing it with their gameplan and momentum (less-so raw talent). Reasonable chance their gameplan could get found out over the offseason and its easy to lose momentum quickly. They sort of remind me of the Pies last year when they got hot and clubs were scrambling to match their gamestyle - and they didnt have a super talented list. After the offseason they got found out abit more.

So I think there's a half reasonable chance Hawks could slip back out of the 8 next year. May sound silly now but nobody would have dreamed last year's premiers would do that this year.

From what was said preference is to hold pick 3
But would like multiple picks in top 20 but so does every other club
so unlikely we spilt
Baker sounds unlikely
Peatling was very circumspect on, quietly confident
Felt the same with Peatling and not sure why. Flynn and Peatling came through the academy together so hopefully some sort of connection there.

Asked about Clurey, Graham, Peatling ect but nothing about Garcia. That intel seems to have cooled. Port to WB might be where he is heading.

Last edited:
Really not a fan of Hawks 1R + F1 with our F2 going back. That's stupid. Hawk's two first-rounders is honestly fair considering they will both likely be later selections. Sending back a F3 is fine, but our F2 undervalues Barrass.

Having said that, I do really want Hawthorn's F1. As others have pointed out, a slide down the ladder is certainly possible for Hawthorn next year. Although for that same reason, they will understandably be reluctant to give it up, but tough cookies. If they want our star KPD to help them win a premiership, they need to pay up.

TBH, I'd even prefer their F1 and Collingwood's 2R pick this year over the two first-rounders with our F2 going back. At least we could get lucky next year if Hawks have a bad run, and now their 1R pick has likely slid out of the TT/Allan/Lindsay range anyway.

Frost injury probably brings to the front of their mind the need for KPD depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back