List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It grabs headlines but in actual fact is a pretty poor trade for us.

The slither of hope would be the Hawks regressing next year. At the moment they are killing it with their gameplan and momentum (less-so raw talent). Reasonable chance their gameplan could get found out over the offseason and its easy to lose momentum quickly. They sort of remind me of the Pies last year when they got hot and clubs were scrambling to match their gamestyle - and they didnt have a super talented list. After the offseason they got found out abit more.

So I think there's a half reasonable chance Hawks could slip back out of the 8 next year. May sound silly now but nobody would have dreamed last year's premiers would do that this year.
Could also flip the F1 to Suns or Lions pick this year. Will be some buyers so not sure what else would be added.

Sooooo....

A priority Pick is off the table for us this year?

Seems to be ZERO discussion around it.

I've been led to believe we will be asking the question, or at the very least should/expected to be.

I've been led to believe we will be asking the question, or at the very least should/expected to be.

If we do not ask the question and put forward a well thought out case, it would be utter negligence. We have been a shambles and no better than North - who received a package last year (and the year before?).

So Clarke gave away very little today.

He said we were going to explore many options including trade and FA.

He said we are going to prioritise the draft

When asked about splitting pick 3, I heard that he would look at options.

It matters very little what he said on Gettable. The real conversations are happening in the Marvel suites with the other clubs. That is likely to be happening right now.

On Baker, he seemed very much uncertain. In reading his body language on negotiations, I would say that it looked genuine. If I could whisper into his ear on how to get 2 senior mids to the club, it would be:

- forget the 23 for Baker and generate band 2 for Graham

- Instead go for Peatling with a much lesser outlay (like a F2 with a R3 this year and a F3 coming back) and overpay for Perryman to get GWS band 2)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the others that Clarke gave very little away in the interview. Pretty much ROB level of straight bat. So all that’s left is for us to speculate on body language and reading between the lines.

On that note, I did like how he singled out “rebounding defenders” who have moved up the draft board. Hopefully we actually get one…

Was interesting listening to Cal talk about the pick one offer from Melbourne last year.

Pick 6,11 & 42 plus pick 5 this year.

I guess for me the interesting part is that if Harley ever did leave i doubt we ever get that kind of offer again. Hopefully he loves it over here and forms a good footballing relationship with his teammates and new coach.

Add in Van Rooyen and that deal would of been pretty tempting.

You have to ask the question but, with Richmonds draft hand this year, what would they offer for Harley now? Could set us up for the next 10 years.

Are Dees fans dark at Jackson for picking the Dockers over Us? Ultimately could of netted Harley as well.

Elite mids (keep Pick 3 you w***ers)
Rebounding defenders (reckon good to elite ones should be available with Barrass pick(s) as mids and KPF will probably go higher)
KPD (reckon good ones will be available after our second rounder, and we have a good track record)
Match Champion bid

Bring in trade targets around that. If we can't without compromising the above, so be it.

It's not rocket science. Get it done.

- Instead go for Peatling with a much lesser outlay (like a F2 with a R3 this year and a F3 coming back) and overpay for Perryman to get GWS band 2)
The extra bonus points in this scenario are a) we say **** Richmond and dont give them any more leg up than they are already getting in this draft and b) the Band 2 compo for GWS will come after our Pick 23 (which if we gave up for Baker wouldnt make much diff anyway but refer to point a).

If we do not ask the question and put forward a well thought out case, it would be utter negligence. We have been a shambles and no better than North - who received a package last year (and the year before?).

Agreed, we have to ask.

Option 1 we get assistance

Option 2 we don’t, and the AFL has to explain why (will be ‘won a premiership in the last decade, showed improvement, blah blah) - but we also get to share our reasons for the request (on field performance, multiple concussion retirements of first round draft picks, significant downgrades of first and second round picks due to PP’s, academy and compo picks - resulting in the first pick of R2 being #30 last year, 22 the prior year).

At the very least we force their hand with it being much harder to get a leg up in the future (I.e. Richmond, and Nth again. Probably GC too).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The extra bonus points in this scenario are a) we say **** Richmond and dont give them any more leg up than they are already getting in this draft and b) the Band 2 compo for GWS will come after our Pick 23 (which if we gave up for Baker wouldnt make much diff anyway but refer to point a).

Band 2 is end of 1st round.

So before our pick 23.

Band 2 is end of 1st round.

So before our pick 23.
I thought it was next after R2 pick. So it will be pretty damn close to a band 1 for GWS if they make the GF (which I think they will). That will be a veeerrry tempting offer for them.
So if I have this right (and I probably dont) Band 2 = end of 1st rd and band 3 is a pick immediately after your Rd2? That would mean that Richmond wouldn't get a lot of value from the upgrade from B2-B3, it would essentially mean (ignoring compo picks and as they currently stand), they get pick 21 to go with their pick 22 rather than 22 to go with their 21?

Last edited:
If the Bombers did show interest in Rotham, could we/would we chip in some of his salary to improve the compensation pick? Band 3 is still pretty decent given where we finished.

And then leave Graham to stay at the Tigers given he would cancel out that compensation pick.

I thought it was next after R2 pick. So it will be pretty damn close to a band 1 for GWS if they make the GF (which I think they will). That will be a veeerrry tempting offer for them.
So if I have this right (and I probably dont) Band 2 = end of 1st rd and band 3 is a pick immediately after your Rd2? That would mean that Richmond wouldn't get a lot of value from the upgrade from B2-B3, it would essentially mean (ignoring compo picks and as they currently stand), they get pick 21 to go with their pick 22 rather than 22 to go with their 21?

Correct.

Richmond's band 2 is pick 19.

Band 3 is pick 22 this year due to the end of 1st priority picks North traded.

If the Bombers did show interest in Rotham, could we/would we chip in some of his salary to improve the compensation pick? Band 3 is still pretty decent given where we finished.

And then leave Graham to stay at the Tigers given he would cancel out that compensation pick.

No. We can't cover a free agents future earnings. That would be the fox running with the hounds manipulating the compo pick.

More than clubs already do.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back