List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
As background, here is the 2023 All Australian Team for the Under 16's

I have colour coded those players that are in a Northern Academy and also coloured the 2 Tassie prospects that may or may not be Tassie bound or at least it is a buyer beware given the expansion team
1726031969468.png

Note a few things

1. This is not the top 20 but a carnival based team
2. There will be obvious changes as the boys start to become men
3. The view of the Futures Game this year will tell us plenty
4. There are 11 Northern Academy prospects and 2 Tassie prospects out of the 22
5. We will find out the rules for the new points and bidding system soon - it has to be before trade period starts

So when thinking about trading a future R1, bear these high end prospects that will likely see one of the most compromised drafts we have ever seen.

The good news is that there is a strong WA crop including 3 West Coast prospects - Charlie Banfield (FS) and 2 NGA prospects Wes Walley and Koby Evans.

In terms of WA talent, Cody Curtin is a Claremont prospect (younger brother of Dan) and is showing he can play KPP at both ends and he is a genuine KPP not like Dan who is more like an oversized flanker. See how he goes in the next 12 months and based on recent form, he could well be a R1 prospect. Fred Rodriguez is another possible R1 prospect - a Souf Freo prospects who is a genuine midfielder.

I have also included the draft profiles of the AA team that was published last year - word document attached

Attachments

• 2023 AFL-U16 Al Australian Team with Profiles.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 8
13/15 + 30 for Barrass (Hawthorn)

Baker + 10 + 21 + 39 for 3 and 30 (Richmond)

48 for Darling (North)

Use 48 on Champion bid, take 10, 13/15, 21, 23, 39 to draft

Just a quick guess?
throw up team america GIF

Vomit Throw Up GIF by Foo Fighters

Denver Granger-Barrass has been overlooked to replace Frost. It shows you how little value he has at the Hawks and in no way shape or form should be included in the Tom Barrass trade.

Denver is highly likely to be delisted this year and at best, he might be worth a train on chance. The issue I understand to be that he cannot build a tank.

Ralphy at it again, it seems. Unable to break the paywall on this one, but there's no way anyone is paying a fourth year player 2 million a year. Now if you were to tell me that was his post free agency money and had a Brownlow and multiple All-Australians to his name then sure.

Ralphy at it again, it seems. Unable to break the paywall on this one, but there's no way anyone is paying a fourth year player 2 million a year. Now if you were to tell me that was his post free agency money and had a Brownlow and multiple All-Australians to his name then sure.

From the Article:

The question is whether Harley Reid will slingshot past all of those players by the time he hits his fourth season in 2027.

He is locked into a three-year mandatory deal that means he is criminally underpaid.

Industry figures believe that to lock away Reid for a fourth season the Eagles would need to pay him $2 million in that year.

He would be the AFL’s first $2 million man.

Rivals attempting to lure him back across the country are already coming up with outlandish figures, but a $2 million deal for 2027 would see him earning $3 million over his first four years.

That is only what he is due given his star power and marketing power.

From the Article:

The question is whether Harley Reid will slingshot past all of those players by the time he hits his fourth season in 2027.

He is locked into a three-year mandatory deal that means he is criminally underpaid.

Industry figures believe that to lock away Reid for a fourth season the Eagles would need to pay him $2 million in that year.

Rivals attempting to lure him back across the country are already coming up with outlandish figures, but a $2 million deal for 2027 would see him earning $3 million over his first four years.

Not completely out of the question depending on how he develops. A weapon and a marketing dream.

Agreed, we have to ask.

Option 1 we get assistance

Option 2 we don’t, and the AFL has to explain why (will be ‘won a premiership in the last decade, showed improvement, blah blah) - but we also get to share our reasons for the request (on field performance, multiple concussion retirements of first round draft picks, significant downgrades of first and second round picks due to PP’s, academy and compo picks - resulting in the first pick of R2 being #30 last year, 22 the prior year).

At the very least we force their hand with it being much harder to get a leg up in the future (I.e. Richmond, and Nth again. Probably GC too).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given our premature loss of venables (first round pick in a good while before the decline) as well as willie Rioli. I believe we are in a fair position to ask for it.

From the Article:

"Industry Figures"

So probably himself and some other journo.

It's pretty insulting to Harley to be honest.

"Look at how all these loyal Cats taking pay cuts to keep the team together"

"Harley, who I have never met, is not doubt a mercenary and will sell himself to the highest bidder. Eagles will need to pay the most money ever to keep him"

I'd love the Hawks' future first. Their success this year is based around systems, not elite talent. But systems can be worked out, elite talent less so. Would be great to have a pick in the teens this year and see them potentially fall away next year, giving us a strong hand to get Warner and another top 10 pick.
Young teams sometimes have a high performing season before they are ‘ready’ due to various factors mentioned like a good draw and no expectation.

2008 Hawks won the flag then missed finals 2009. 2018 Dees made a prelim then finished 17th in 2019. More experienced premiership sides like Cats and Pies have had the classic premiership hangover also.

Freo would’ve expected to land Pies pick 16-18 this year but ended up with 6 for Schultz. However were on the other end in the Luke Jackson trade, finishing 5th in 2022 and then 14th in 2023.

Hawks F1 is a bet worth taking, the expectation is that its end of first but could quite possibly end up as a top 10 if they struggle to back up next year. Although seems like they should continue their good run with Barass and Battle joining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said there are 5 options in consideration for pick 3.

Can't see us trading 3, Barrass pick if it keeps going further, would be the Baker offer.
The thing i learned from watching Matty Clarke for years is you get more from what he doesnt say and his body language when he doesnt want to reveal his hand on a question.

When asked about Bo Allan he was extremely quick to move on and didnt say much and that tells me he is very much in the eagles planning

The thing i learned from watching Matty Clarke for years is you get more from what he doesnt say and his body language when he doesnt want to reveal his hand on a question.

When asked about Bo Allan he was extremely quick to move on and didnt say much and that tells me he is very much in the eagles planning
No offence but if Bo Allen was in last year draft. I'd still pick Clay Hall ahead of him

As background, here is the 2023 All Australian Team for the Under 16's

I have colour coded those players that are in a Northern Academy and also coloured the 2 Tassie prospects that may or may not be Tassie bound or at least it is a buyer beware given the expansion team
View attachment 2107651

Note a few things

1. This is not the top 20 but a carnival based team
2. There will be obvious changes as the boys start to become men
3. The view of the Futures Game this year will tell us plenty
4. There are 11 Northern Academy prospects and 2 Tassie prospects out of the 22
5. We will find out the rules for the new points and bidding system soon - it has to be before trade period starts

So when thinking about trading a future R1, bear these high end prospects that will likely see one of the most compromised drafts we have ever seen.

The good news is that there is a strong WA crop including 3 West Coast prospects - Charlie Banfield (FS) and 2 NGA prospects Wes Walley and Koby Evans.

In terms of WA talent, Cody Curtin is a Claremont prospect (younger brother of Dan) and is showing he can play KPP at both ends and he is a genuine KPP not like Dan who is more like an oversized flanker. See how he goes in the next 12 months and based on recent form, he could well be a R1 prospect. Fred Rodriguez is another possible R1 prospect - a Souf Freo prospects who is a genuine midfielder.

I have also included the draft profiles of the AA team that was published last year - word document attached
Gotta keep that F1 in our back pocket in case it turns into Sharp or maybe even Duursma.

Hawks F1 is the interesting one, if we get it. Try and trade into this draft or could get one of Sharp/Duursma and Curtin next year along with our 3 FS/Academy tied kids.

Nice watch for next year

Gotta keep that F1 in our back pocket in case it turns into Sharp or maybe even Duursma.

Hawks F1 is the interesting one, if we get it. Try and trade into this draft or could get one of Sharp/Duursma and Curtin next year along with our 3 FS/Academy tied kids.

Nice watch for next year
I'm personally hoping we pick up Cody Curtin as KPD with a late first rounder.

An elite KPD is a need. He's hopefully a better defender then Curtin which is a low bar

OR

Matty Clarke is pissed off with those biased Vic media stating we happily slide back to get WA talent. He is hardly likely to be wanting to talk about any of the prospects. You might as well say he did not mention bidding on Lomard meaning unless the Suns do us a deal, we are going to bid. I would personally wait until trade week has been finalised before you start planting unfounded rumours on our board.

How about you do something useful and tell that silly little prick Jon Ralph that we are probably not going to trade for Baker. That then means we are not landing Graham. I suggest will have a very limited number of players we would spend pick 3 on and it is not Liam Baker. Bookmark this one if you want.

If you want a club to screw over, then look at your list team are doing the right thing and spending time with Freo and the Suns.

Nice try Ralphy.

Ever consider that maybe he moved on so quickly was because he doesn't know much about him cos we ain't interested?

No offence but if Bo Allen was in last year draft. I'd still pick Clay Hall ahead of him
And thats fine

I wouldnt know Allan if he fell on my head but i have watched Clarke maybe 100 times in his career at Richmond
Im just going on the answer he gave in the interview

How about you do something useful and tell that silly little prick Jon Ralph that we are probably not going to trade for Baker. That then means we are not landing Graham. I suggest will have a very limited number of players we would spend pick 3 on and it is not Liam Baker. Bookmark this one if you want.

If you want a club to screw over, then spend your list team are doing the right thing and spending time with Freo and the Suns.

Wow take it easy man your blood pressure will hit sky high

But Re pick #3 , Pyke & Clake now not dismissing it is probably fueling the likes of Ralph , Edmund & Morris even more
think the eagles bosses need to take a more reserved approach if you want that to happen

I just don't think Allen would be on our radar. Johnston looks like our Cole replacement and ginbey/Hough are our med/small defenders. The only player in that range we'd be keen on is travaglia, and we'd prob have our wing earmarked for him. Westcoast need pure midfielders not Midfield hybrids

But Re pick #3 , Pyke & Clake now not dismissing it is probably fueling the likes of Ralph , Edmund & Morris even more
think the eagles bosses need to take a more reserved approach if you want that to happen
Don't stress mate, you did nothing wrong

think the eagles bosses need to take a more reserved approach if you want that to h giving it as much airtime as it deserves. If they had to dismiss every stupid idea
I think pyke and Clarke just giving Ralph's comments as much airtime as it deserves if they had to dismiss every ******ed statement they'd be going on forever.

All coach's are deliberately say as little as possible not to give away any position, which the vic media turn into 'wc are trading pick 3'

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back