List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always a fun read when Asterix gets triggered by oppo posters.
Anyway, I thought body language/triggers was Phil's Dept, although he's possibly busy getting Peatling over the line.
That seems to happen to me alot for some reason
yesterday i was walking past a Neighbours house and the dog started barking like he wanted to bite my head off
strange what triggers things. Ho Asterix is ok ?

Anyway, I thought body language/triggers was Phil's Dept, although he's possibly busy getting Peatling over the line.
I think Phil did it for interrogating the draftees and family as to their willingness to move unearth the hidden injuries, etc. I've done a load of negotiating and lead teams on deals but more on the commercial aspects in picking the deal and walk away points.

What sets me off? Silly little pricks like Jon Ralph and Sam McClure for a starter. Then posers who bring their points to our board who think they are smart, clever or something else.

I feel it is my unofficial role to provide an appropriate welcome.

ASTERIX_PUNCH.gif

"Industry Figures"

So probably himself and some other journo.

It's pretty insulting to Harley to be honest.

"Look at how all these loyal Cats taking pay cuts to keep the team together"

"Harley, who I have never met, is not doubt a mercenary and will sell himself to the highest bidder. Eagles will need to pay the most money ever to keep him"
Harley puts bums on seats and sells merchandise, our home games wouldn't have been well attended if we hadn't drafted him. None of the other high picks in that draft have the ability to do that. He needs to be rewarded.
If you want quality you have to be prepared to pay for it.
Even paying him $2m for year 4 still only averages $750k, and we've been paying Darling
$800k per season.
With the salary cap increasing over the next few years we should smash the Victorian clubs out of the park
and offer him a 5yr $12.5m contract that can also be increased at the same rate the salary cap increases.
We've all seen what he can do as a 19 year old, he brings people to their feet imagine the roar from the crowd when he is at his peak.
In 5 yrs time, he could also be the games first $3m year player.
Would love to see him as the Eagles captain raising the 2029 premiership cup, would be even better
if it was against the Dockers.
Pay the Money !!!!

I heard Phil is offering an all expenses paid post-season trip to Whore Island to possible recruits.

If they accept then we don't want that kind of feral player at our club.

If they refuse then we don't want that kind of WEAK player at our club.

I'm not exactly sure how it works honestly.

Looking at the so called HUN AFL Rich 100

We have 7 of the top 100 which is not far off 1/18th. However you need to look at the details.

The 7 are as follows (with ranking given)
Kelly - 9th and now on the more back ended years through to 2025. Another year to go and I will refrain from re-opening the Kelly trade debate.
Oscar - 44th and his pay increased as he was captain.
Yeo - 52nd which for our dual B&F winner, seems about right. He is staying but likely on less money
Barrass - 58th and claiming to be underpaid. He has requested a trade to Hawks.
Gaff - 67th and has since retired
Darling - 77th which is more a statement of past glory than current output. He is tipped to go to Norf
Gov - 84th so damned appropriate for the best KPD in the competition. He is staying

So going into 2025, we have possibly only 4 of the above on the list with Gov and Yeo likely to be overtaken with other A grade talent elsewhere contracted to stay at their club.
As our list stands today, we have 49% of our list 22 or under meaning they are likely to be on less than average salaries.

1 more year for Kelly and Gov
Yeo - who really knows but I am guessing about the same as before meaning not benefiting much from increased CBA
Oscar about to hit his free agency years and it will be interesting to see how robust he is in 2025. Simpson's lasting legacy was playing him in the ruck him too early. Have we stuffed up his body meaning there are question marks now on his durability (and can he ever go back to the CHF role or will he only play FF)

Using the lower end of the range the HUN have released, with likely trading Barrass and Darling plus retirement Gaff, we are freeing up $2 million in cap space. The cap in 2024 was $15.8 mln and goes up to $18.4 mil in 2027.

Apart from Harley, I am yet to see another A Grade talent on our list that is likely to be in the rich 100. By 2027, I can only think of Oscar as another player worthy of the big $$$. By 2027, another $2 mln comes out of our commitments with Gov turning 36, Yeo turning 35 and Kelly turning 24 and all likely to be off the list or on much smaller deals.

It is very, very unlikely we'll be sending a second rounder back to the Hawks in our demand for two first rounders. It literally makes no sense we would do that, it's basically just a few spot pick swap.

Maybe just maybe we'll pass on a 3rd rounder but daresay it's two firsts for Barrass and that's it.

OR

Matty Clarke is pissed off with those biased Vic media stating we happily slide back to get WA talent. He is hardly likely to be wanting to talk about any of the prospects. You might as well say he did not mention bidding on Lomard meaning unless the Suns do us a deal, we are going to bid. I would personally wait until trade week has been finalised before you start planting unfounded rumours on our board.

How about you do something useful and tell that silly little prick Jon Ralph that we are probably not going to trade for Baker. That then means we are not landing Graham. I suggest will have a very limited number of players we would spend pick 3 on and it is not Liam Baker. Bookmark this one if you want.

If you want a club to screw over, then look at your list team are doing the right thing and spending time with Freo and the Suns.
Blair Hartley is their list manager(Head of talent) anyway. Clarke was their National Recruiting Manager.

Would be like us saying Duane Massey was pulling the strings for all our previous trades.

Richmond supporters conveniently ignore this in their trolling however. or they simply have NFI about their own list management team.

It is very, very unlikely we'll be sending a second rounder back to the Hawks in our demand for two first rounders. It literally makes no sense we would do that, it's basically just a few spot pick swap.

Maybe just maybe we'll pass on a 3rd rounder but daresay it's two firsts for Barrass and that's it.

Really hope so but surely we'd have to send something back given Barass seems all but gone. Unless we can establish that he'll happily come back if no trade is done.

A third seems fair but no doubt Hawks will press for a second.

From Fox Footy:

BARRASS TRADE DETAILS REVEALED

West Coast Eagles superstar Tom Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn, but how will a deal get done?

According to the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark, Hawthorn will need to give up two first round picks to secure the star Eagles defender.

“They want two first round picks the Eagles. I know that sounds like a lot for a 28-year-old key defender, he’s going to be 29 by the start of next season, but the Hawks are in a tricky position here for two reasons,” Clark told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“A, he’s contracted which gives West Coast the upper hand and B, because of the Hawks’ rise their first-round picks keep shuffling back. By the time we get the Academy picks, the father-son, the free agency compensation, that could slide right back to 18, 19, 20 plus potentially,” he said.

“That on its own we know is not going to satisfy West Coast for Tom Barrass who is one of the best key defenders in the competition.

“This is what’s going to happen. West Coast is going to ask for two first round picks. The Hawks’ first this year and their first next year and then potentially give a second round back. Hawthorn’s first round pick next year essentially becomes West Coast’s second round pick which will be early in the 20s, a bit of a pick slide but the part which will irk Hawthorn fans and Hawthorn list management chiefs is two first round picks, that’s a lot on the surface. Optically that’s good for West Coast because he’s a contracted player.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph though the trade was too much from a Hawthorn perspective.

“It’s too much because West Coast want him off their books. They want to get into the draft early on and Hawthorn’s desperate for him and they’ve got players like Calsher Dear in the 50s, Nick Watson’s going to be a gun, and they brought in players like Ginnivan and that deal itself is going to neutralize,” he said.

“So, both sides will have leverage, if you’re Hawthorn you’re getting that deal done because as much as we all love Sam Frost, you’re bringing in this interceptor that turns you into an even better and maybe the best defence in the competition.”

xxxxxxx

Please somebody translate what the hell Jon Ralph is talking about there?

That’s just confusing.

It’s too much for Hawthorn to pay because the Eagles ‘want him off their books’? - something pretty much only he has now suggested surely? I think the Eagles are happy with Barrass on the books on the contract he signed, just not on a longer, more expensive contract, which they are well within their rights to do, given it has 3 more years to run.

Hawthorn are desperate for him because they’ve got Calsher Dear and Nick Watson and…Ginnivan? and that will ‘neutralize’ the deal? What does that mean?

It’s too much but they will do it because they’ve drafted well (I think?)…. but also both sides have leverage?
Needs to take a nap on some tram tracks that bloke

Really hope so but surely we'd have to send something back given Barass seems all but gone. Unless we can establish that he'll happily come back if no trade is done.

A third seems fair but no doubt Hawks will press for a second.

Why would we? He is on a long term contract and they've committed to him. Not up to us to be fair to them. They need to pay up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing i learned from watching Matty Clarke for years is you get more from what he doesnt say and his body language when he doesnt want to reveal his hand on a question.

When asked about Bo Allan he was extremely quick to move on and didnt say much and that tells me he is very much in the eagles planning

He also specifically said Hawthorn was Barrass' "ideal" option, which says there is either other club(s) we are also scoping out or he is trying to make Hawthorn think there are other option(s).

The implication is that it is our F2, which I agree is unlikely.

However, if we were to find a (predicted) late F2 then I think we would happily do the deal.

I.e 14, F1 for TB + GWS(or Geel/Port/Syd/Bris) F2

Would our F2 get a later F2 plus something in the 30-40 range this year? Maybe.

Would dropping 23 back to say 30-35 be worth a late F2? Maybe

Or could we get one as part of the Darling trade? (Maybe we have to add our F3 or F4).

I am always wary when they say ‘a F2’ without specifying that it must be ours, as there is a massive difference in value from 22 to 40 (expected future pick).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I heard Phil is offering an all expenses paid post-season trip to Whore Island to possible recruits.

If they accept then we don't want that kind of feral player at our club.

If they refuse then we don't want that kind of WEAK player at our club.

I'm not exactly sure how it works honestly.
the Whore Island Paradox™

The implication is that it is our F2, which I agree is unlikely.

However, if we were to find a (predicted) late F2 then I think we would happily do the deal.

I.e 14, F1 for TB + GWS(or Geel/Port/Syd/Bris) F2

Would our F2 get a later F2 plus something in the 30-40 range this year? Maybe.

Would dropping 23 back to say 30-35 be worth a late F2? Maybe

Or could we get one as part of the Darling trade? (Maybe we have to add our F3 or F4).

I am always wary when they say ‘a F2’ without specifying that it must be ours, as there is a massive difference in value from 22 to 40 (expected future pick).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah **** Hawthorn. They get no picks. We're not a charity.

I hope we give Harley $2m.

He's the best thing in the AFL worth watching let alone at WCE where he is daylight ahead.

He's worth it.

Plus it's not my money so who cares.

The Saviour

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we give Harley $2m.

He's the best thing in the AFL worth watching let alone at WCE where he is daylight ahead.

He's worth it.

Plus it's not my money so who cares.

The Saviour

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I mean I'd rather we keep him on less coin and still keep him satisfied.

But I get your point - we should be doing everything possible to keep him, he's worth the NN treatment.

From the Article:

The question is whether Harley Reid will slingshot past all of those players by the time he hits his fourth season in 2027.

He is locked into a three-year mandatory deal that means he is criminally underpaid.

Industry figures believe that to lock away Reid for a fourth season the Eagles would need to pay him $2 million in that year.

He would be the AFL’s first $2 million man.

Rivals attempting to lure him back across the country are already coming up with outlandish figures, but a $2 million deal for 2027 would see him earning $3 million over his first four years.

That is only what he is due given his star power and marketing power.
I’m sure this has been answered a million times but I can’t find a good source for it.

Why are we only able to discuss Reid’s deal in the context of his fourth year, eg a one year extension, but rival clubs are able to reportedly table these multi- million, multi-year deals?

Has the change to three year default contracts for top picks led to us only being able to offer him a fourth year, and then we can go big on a fifth year onwards as a seperate extension?

West Coast don't normally give much away publicly when trading, Kelly might be the one in recent history that everyone knew was happening.

Be like 2002 Chick and Hedland all over again the public won't know and Freo will do the big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back