List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
News and rumours in the stickied post have been updated after a bumper day of Eagles headlines. Also includes a wrap up of Matt Clarke's Gettable interview - nice to see Peatling named explicitly.

Steven King - 202cm
Jarrad Schofield - 180cm
Andrew MacQualter - 179cm
Liam Baker - 173cm

If the rumours around Baker waiting to see who we pick as coach are true, we should hire Kingy to tower over him until he is so intimidated that he cowers in a corner as warm urine trickles down his legs.

He picks Cockburn and suffers through 5 consecutive heartbreaking finals exits.

Pick 3 wins multiple Brownlows and Pick 23 multiple Norm Smith's.

I have little issue with us paying Harley a lot for his fourth year, on the proviso that it is part of a front ended contract (preferably long).
We shouldn't be bandying around $2M offers for a single additional year.
I wouldn't do a front ended contract...he may do a brad hill or lobb and request a trade when hes on less dough

What deal did Mac Andrew just sign / agree to?

What is Harley worth in year 4? 2027?
Mac signed/agreed to a $12M 9 year deal, approximately $1.3m/yr. Harley would be worth 2 to 3 times that in 2027
How can a impoverished club like GC pay that sort of money. They would have forked out a packet to get Hardwick as well.
I guess it must be coming out of the $32m they get from the AFL. West Coast get about half that.
GC are a financial basket case propped up by the AFL since inception. They should be liquidated, the AFL would find it highly embarrassing if they had to write off the millions of dollars they've poured in to GC.
Enough is enough ,they must be made to stand on their own two feet.

Look the general view is we aren't exactly rushing for a single year extension and in return rewriting Harley Reid contract.

We can wait until end of second year. If he still wants to sign a single year then it is very transparent what he is trying to do that's rewrite his third year contract. Then gtfo out of here after fourth year.

It's too transparent that I don't think Harley is ruthless enough to do that. By the end of second year he won't **** us over he will just sign a long term contract or gtfo

The list management team understands this hence the wait and pyke saying let him think it through.

Ironically, having Harley Reid for a single additional year where he takes the hits and shields our youth may be more valuable then him leaving asap/us getting better draft picks

Longer contract harley >>>>> shorter contract harley >>>> No Harley/Better draft picks
cocaine-cocaines-a-hell-of-a-drug.gif

As draftee names keep popping up I watch their highlights on my mobile.
Being short sighted,old and deaf it’s hard to distinguish who’s who in the zoo.
Then I had the brainwave to get utube up on my 86” tv and watch them there .
So?? I’m a slow learner! Get F**ked!
Watched a few. Draper is an absolute standout.Real ball magnet in tight ! Why would you even contemplate splitting P3 if you could get a player like him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As draftee names keep popping up I watch their highlights on my mobile.
Being short sighted,old and deaf it’s hard to distinguish who’s who in the zoo.
Then I had the brainwave to get utube up on my 86” tv and watch them there .
So?? I’m a slow learner! Get F**ked!
Watched a few. Draper is an absolute standout.Real ball magnet in tight ! Why would you even contemplate splitting P3 if you could get a player like him?
Yeah I honestly hope that the rumours aren’t true and we don’t split pick 3. Sid Draper looks like that missing piece in our midfield so to split the pick just so we can get later picks and/or baker just makes no sense. Baker is going to add very little

Had an issue that wasn’t football related that meant he couldn’t get on the park. Would be a fantastic fit at WCE, the Bulldogs are going after him too.
Stare Staring GIF

Relating to the draft, two big names to keep an eye on in the 2nd round are Moraes and Gross.

Theses two by no means have had bad years, yet limited chances to showcase their ability in big games could likely see them fall into the 2nd round.

Both Gross and Moraes are natural mids who have developed more forward craft this year.

Gross particularly reminds me a bit of Wardlaw with his style of play.
I’d go as far to say grossly underrated.

I feel like this year is quite unique in that there are a lot of decent to good players who are out of contract and testing the waters. What makes it super unique is that a lot of these players are in the 22-28 year old bracket that were incredibly light on

If we can do things right or at least half right, we should really be able to add some good players to our team which should see us reasonably competitive

Mac signed/agreed to a $12M 9 year deal, approximately $1.3m/yr. Harley would be worth 2 to 3 times that in 2027
How can a impoverished club like GC pay that sort of money. They would have forked out a packet to get Hardwick as well.
I guess it must be coming out of the $32m they get from the AFL. West Coast get about half that.
GC are a financial basket case propped up by the AFL since inception. They should be liquidated, the AFL would find it highly embarrassing if they had to write off the millions of dollars they've poured in to GC.
Enough is enough ,they must be made to stand on their own two feet.
Wait, are you suggesting that the GC not be allowed to use the salary cap?

With regards to Mac's deal, the way the gap is rising, his $1.3m in the back end won't be in the top 50-100 salaries for the year in the league.

Can someone answer these two questions.

How is Gross different from Phoenix Hargrave? Both seem like battlers. Hargraves has done well in a stacked SA side featuring campo twins, sharp and Draper. Almost similar stat line

How is Gross and Hargraves different from Clay Hall?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back