List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
because $$$
Yep, already 24, he would want some decent coin and he can 100% see himself straight into our midfield. Not sure he will be at the Dogs or Pies, even though that’s what they will sell him.

Hopefully mates with Flynn to as he was only a year behind him in their academy and would’ve played some VFL together

if we manage to get a future 1st from Hawthorn. Should we try and sell our future first for say pick 5 or 6 of this draft. As we have Banfield and Walley as likely first rounders next year as NGA and father son, could be beneficial to use a last 1st rounder on one of these guys. Go into draft with picks 3, 5/6 and around 13-16 for hawks first this year. Get say Draper, Lalor/Langford, Bo Allan for first 3 picks. Then 23 can use for Baker take it or leave it pick.

The draft is so interesting this year.

All the top end mids are relatively even but all have slight question marks too.

Here's how I'd currently rank the options available to us. I think Levi Ashcroft would be my number 1 (if he was available).

1. Jagga
2. Reid
3. Draper / Langford
4. Lalor
5. FOS / Smilie

I think Jagga's production is just too hard to ignore. Pure midfield pig. Only worry is his size.

With Jagga likely gone at 3, Murphy Reid is the one I wish we'd be able to pick up. Though can't see it unless he has a change of heart about leaving Victoria.
In think they are our perfect 2 for us at 3.

Would love for us to trade the Hawks F1 (if we get it) for GC pick 12.

Draper/Langford
Travaglia/Lindsay
Berry
23-Davis?
Plus Champion

Would be an elite group (Could also hold the Hawks F1 and hope they were a flash in the pan and get Duursma and Curtin next year)

Let’s Cook Clark

if we manage to get a future 1st from Hawthorn. Should we try and sell our future first for say pick 5 or 6 of this draft. As we have Banfield and Walley as likely first rounders next year as NGA and father son, could be beneficial to use a last 1st rounder on one of these guys. Go into draft with picks 3, 5/6 and around 13-16 for hawks first this year. Get say Draper, Lalor/Langford, Bo Allan for first 3 picks. Then 23 can use for Baker take it or leave it pick.
No one is giving us pick 5/6 for Hawks F1 next year. You also don't give up F1's till you see where Banfield and Walley end up up. If we have ours and Hawks F1 before them both next year, would end up with four very good players.

Can’t see us getting that high but GC 12 or maybe Lions 13* should be on the radar. Lions probably need to get some point back this year through so Richmond probably the better suitor

Last edited:
Graham would struggle to make 10/18 teams in this league, waste of time pick up.

As would many others currently on our list. No one is suggesting Graham is a particularly exciting recruit but he’d probably be in our best 15-25 players and gives us a little bit more experienced depth

He comes at no trade cost and a modest salary cap hit which we’re struggling to spend anyway

I’d rather it was a 3 year deal we offered because ideally by 2028 when he turns 30 he’s been pushed out of the best 22 by younger players

TLDR - he improves our list at little cost

If after all is said and done we staring at a big wad of cash is 6 year 6 mill deal for Perryman that big of a issue?

At some point we gotta make a bloody move that isnt 2 Richmond nobodies

Interesting definition of “nobodies”, they’ve both won two premierships, finished top two in the B&F, Baker’s a current vice captain…

As would many others currently on our list. No one is suggesting Graham is a particularly exciting recruit but he’d probably be in our best 15-25 players and gives us a little bit more experienced depth

He comes at no trade cost and a modest salary cap hit which we’re struggling to spend anyway

I’d rather it was a 3 year deal we offered because ideally by 2028 when he turns 30 he’s been pushed out of the best 22 by younger players

TLDR - he improves our list at little cost
4 year deal. Front load contract so can cut him after 3 if required and not much dead money on our cap.

If we can somehow bring in Peatling, Garcia and Carroll (heck I'd be stoked with 2 out of the 3) I think that would go a long way to enhancing our rebuild.

Parfitt a perfect age and profile for us as well as a FA.

These type of moves would also allow us to be a bit more speculative on our pick 3 whether we use it or trade it to get some more top 20 draft hits.

It's also why we need to be trying to get a priority package from the AFL, those must be traded future 2nd and 3rd round picks can be used on those first three players (plus our own future picks)
Without the AFL leg up, I would happily bring in Parfitt as an UFA and one player we would need to trade for (Peatling my priority out of your 3).

I would love the handout that Norf received - after our R2 and R3 which would be more than enough to get maybe 2 contracted players.

Lets say hawks pick ends up as pick 14 to 18 next year (pushed back to due to f/s and academy and compensation so could be further) we could do what we did in i think 2017 and move that first rounder and get an abundance of second rounders which could also help us match academy picks. This could be something I would consider next year.
Pick e.g. 14 to 18
For
2nd rounders one in the 25 to 30 and one in the 30 to 35s along with a third rounder and a future 3rd rounder to help with bids on Wes Walley, Koby Evans and Banfield who could be an important part of our rebuild so in that case our draft hand next year could be e.g
3 - 5
21 to 23
25 to 30
30 to 35
39 to 42
40 to 45
and a late 50s to 60 pick.
Bring in basically 1st rounder 3 2nd rounders 2 3rd rounder's and 1 4th.
I wouldn't mind keeping hawks f1 incase curtin is avaibale and if thats the case i wouldnt do what I did above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to really put top value on pick 3 and only use it for say a Warner play. Even then, I think that would be more likely next year. I cannot see a world where I would support using it for a trade and getting 6 + Baker.

Just think about how Cats will get a top 10 pick for Smith and Hawks a top 10 pick for Barrass. Both are reasonable trades (Barrass in contract so high and a high ceiling on Smith but out of contract).

Yes the top 3 to 5 prospects are even but the next 7 or 8 are also very good. I like what eaglevision posted in trading 3 + 12 for 6 + 9 + 10 (assuming Tigers get 6 for Bolton and 9 + 10 for Bolton/Baker). I doubt Tigers do it but that would be my stance.

Take to the draft 6 + 9 + 10 + 23 and either a second pick this year from Hawks or slide add their R1 at the expense of one of our future picks. I would think that 6 will get one of the top end mids (more like Langford or Smilie or Lalor) and then at 9 and 10, 2 of TT, Lindsay, Tauru or Berry.

What some posters need to get their heads around is that whilst the likes of Parafitt, Carroll and Graham may not be world beaters, they are better quality footballers than some of the guys that will be delisted or traded out.

Trew, Baker, Witherden and Rotham will be replaced by some of the options listed above to draft in.

Sure they are not spectacular upgrades but they are upgrades never the less.
Carroll has more impact in games than Trew, therefore IMO that’s a list improvement.

You need to both improve you list in top end talent and also improve your lists bottom end talent.
Any players that are UFA and are a list upgrade, are a free hit opportunity that should exploited.

Many here bitched and moaned when we added Hunt to the list and he has been a cheap and mature very handy upgrade.

His addition was a smart piece of business.

Came with a mature body, on a modest contract, as a role player and improved our list.
Can we please have some more of this type of player to replace our spuds.

List improvement and upgrades come in many different forms.

Last edited:
Can’t see us getting that high but GC 12 or maybe Lions 13* should be on the radar. Lions probably need to get some point back this year through so Richmond probably the better suitor
I mean say our future first and 23 for baker and Richmond pick 6 acquired from Gold Coast. Richmond would already have like pick 1,9,10 or whatever by selling Bolton and already having pick 1 so maybe keen to get another first rounder next draft as well.

I mean say our future first and 23 for baker and Richmond pick 6 acquired from Gold Coast. Richmond would already have like pick 1,9,10 or whatever by selling Bolton and already having pick 1 so maybe keen to get another first rounder next draft as well.
Why give away any future picks? As soon as you do that you're taking Warner (however unlikely) joining us the following year off the table.

The hope is that our F1 and Hawks F1 forms the basis of a Warner trade if needed. if not we use the picks.

Why give away any future picks? As soon as you do that you're taking Warner (however unlikely) joining us the following year off the table.

The hope is that our F1 and Hawks F1 forms the basis of a Warner trade if needed. if not we use the picks.
Getting Warner could be a pipe dream and next years draft could be poor in comparison to this draft. These are all things our recruiting team need to think about.

Our list is in ZERO position to be giving away first and future first rounders. The list is DYING for young gun players.

What some posters need to get their heads around is that whilst the likes of Parafitt, Carroll and Graham may not be world beaters, they are better quality footballers than some of the guys that will be delisted or traded out.

Trew, Baker, Witherden and Rotham will be replaced by some of the options listed above to draft in.

Sure they are not spectacular upgrades but they are upgrades never the less.
Carroll has more impact in games than Trew, therefore IMO that’s a list improvement.

You need to both improve you list in top end talent and also improve your lists bottom end talent.
Any players that are UFA and are a list upgrade, are a free hit opportunity that should exploited.

Many here bitched and moaned when we added Hunt to the list and he has been a cheap and mature very handy upgrade.

His addition was a smart piece of business.

Came with a mature body, on a modest contract, as a role player and improved our list.
Can we please have some more of this type of player to replace our spuds.

List improvement and upgrades come in many different forms.

The consideration isn't whether Parfitt and Graham replace the guys that are getting delisted (Baker, Rotham, Witho), it's who they replace in our best 22.
If the argument is that they're coming in as that 15-25th best player, then a 4 year contract seems poor business in a developing side. We'd expect our existing youth as well as those drafted this year and next to start filling those positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back