List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Petch needs a fresh start in a different system that utilises his speed and overhead marking. With our list he’ll just float along next year without elevating his game nor being disastrously shit that would make his delisting a foregone conclusion.

Straight swap for Garcia or if not then Carroll would be ideal.
Would having a new coach not = new system?

Agree he's been used in the wrong capacity.

I've just finished 2 days of club by club meetings and the follow ups from that in Melbourne.

I can't give out details but there is at least one poster here who I personally told that the WCE no longer had the largest offer to Peatling before any media.

I'm busy until 2 tomorrow then have until Monday off.

Only a few weeks to go.

I can't give answers publicly, won't comment on the coach and will only give out limited info to those I personally trust privately.

As far as im concerned most of the crew who seem to rock up solely for the off season shenanigans can **** off.
All I want to know is are the Blues keen on Berry or Hotton at the draft and are the Eagles going to shaft us re Jack Carroll? Plz Phil I need some hope after the shambolic end to our season

the blade GIF by Warner Archive

With the caveat that our coaching, S&C and medical were subpar, I think the biggest mistake post-2018 was thinking that midfield was going to cut it.

2018 from a midfield perspective was a flash in the pan. Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Gaff and Sheed (Naitanui), had never demonstrated consistent midfield dominance bar those few weeks in September. All either inconsistent, perennially injured or not elite. Ironically, given his demise, Gaff was arguably the only bankable member.

That team was held up by the forwards and the backline. In many ways Melbourne, with its weak forward line and similar trajectory is the bizarro version of us.

This lead to overpaying for Kelly and playing him in the wrong position and a belief that if we just get the Best 22 on the park it would work itself out.

It's imperative that we don't make the same mistakes this time. We need rolled gold, A grade midfielders before anything else.
Large disservice to how good Shuey and Yeo were when they could stay on the park.

Both were top 10 midfielders at their peaks and both would have been close in 2019.

Was unfortunate that neither had a consistent run post 2019 until Elliot this year, which forced Kelly to go from #3 mid to #1. Confident we win at least another premiership if those two in particular were to stay fit.

Would having a new coach not = new system?

Agree he's been used in the wrong capacity.
Yes but everyone in the squad along with Petch will have to learn that new system from scratch. At a new club with an already developed and implemented system they would have identified Petch as a player they can plug into that system that utilises his strengths then Petch can just play his footy.

That’s why I think he is best served by a fresh start. In the right system I think he could actually improve his game and one thing you can’t teach is speed. Carlton for example I think he’d be a very good fit in an otherwise slow midfield and with aerial defenders focussing on Curnow and McKay he’d be a good chance to use his marking ability inside F50 for some handy goals as well as adding much needed speed to the midfield.

All I want to know is are the Blues keen on Berry or Hotton at the draft and are the Eagles going to shaft us re Jack Carroll? Plz Phil I need some hope after the shambolic end to our season

the blade GIF by Warner Archive

Involved in trade, player management, interview analysis and assessment, not drafting this year.

by the time the draft happens I will be overseas for a few months.

The only comment I can make on Carroll is that as a supporter I personally don't want him at the club at all.

As a Carlton supporter you happy with the 2 year draft and trade plan for the Holland brothers and Cowan?

Involved in trade, player management, interview analysis and assessment, not drafting this year.

The only comment I can make on Carroll is that as a supporter I personally don't want him at the club at all.

As a Carlton supporter you happy with the 2 year draft and trade plan for the Holland brothers and Cowan?
Look I think I'm fairly similar to you and many WCE fans re Carroll. I think he's a depth player. A fairly decent one and may end up being a best 22 player somewhere given he's a decent accumulator, a good operator in traffic and a decent runner. I think an interview with Carroll early in the year really summed up his footballing IQ/ability when he came in and played as a sub though. He said something along the lines of "it's always nice playing at AFL level with so many guns around you because if I get in trouble I can always just bomb it down to Charlie and Harry and they'll make something happen"

Sums up many members of our midfield to be fair, but for someone who's meant to present as a 'classy' player he's just as big a butcher as someone like Cripps who may fundamentally be a 'worse' kick, but is a far better decision maker and works under a ****load more pressure given he's got 10 blokes hanging off him most of the time. Won't be too upset losing Carroll, just hope we get something back for him to help with the Campo twin bids and its not a delist/PSD type arrangement.

Re the Hollands boys and Cowan...

I think my exact 'hypothesized' moves for the Blues that draft over on our board were to get Ollie in as that hard working winger and then trade for Elijah down the track as the more damaging player. I had said we should try and draft Cowan that year too as he looked amazing for Tassie off half back. They were pretty much my two favourite players in that draft for 'list needs' at the time and I had a massive draft boner for Elijah at the time.

I'm less convinced on Ollie atm given its been an up and down year to date for him but I think Cowan projects as a real gun going forward. Kicking may not be 'elite' but he's got penetration and he's awesome around the contest, in a few stints on ball in the VFL I've thought he's looked remarkably good in that role too.

Binns... Idk same as you. Elite runner, elite accumulator, mediocre user of the footy. He's actually made some real strides with that by become a surgical 15-20m kick like Samo Petrevski Seton... But as seen with SPS... That's really not much use to anyone when every team is trying to speed up their ball movement.

Overall pretty happy with that draft though. Never understood the Jakob Ryan interest though... Just never rated him and still don't. Much happier with Cowan.

Last edited:

Whore Island for draft week? Might join you if we end up trading pick 3 in a Baker deal

Look I think I'm fairly similar to you and many WCE fans re Carroll. I think he's a depth player. A fairly decent one and may end up being a best 22 player somewhere given he's a decent accumulator, a good operator in traffic and a decent runner. I think an interview with Carroll early in the year really summed up his footballing IQ/ability when he came in and played as a sub though. He said something along the lines of "it's always nice playing at AFL level with so many guns around you because if I get in trouble I can always just bomb it down to Charlie and Harry and they'll make something happen"

Sums up many members of our midfield to be fair, but for someone who's meant to present as a 'classy' player he's just as big a butcher as someone like Cripps who may fundamentally be a 'worse' kick, but is a far better decision maker and works under a ****load more pressure given he's got 10 blokes hanging off him most of the time. Won't be too upset losing Carroll, just hope we get something back for him to help with the Campo twin bids and its not a delist/PSD type arrangement.

Re the Hollands boys and Cowan...

I think my exact 'hypothesized' moves for the Blues that draft over on our board were to get Ollie in as that hard working winger and then trade for Elijah down the track as the more damaging player. I had said we should try and draft Cowan that year too as he looked amazing for Tassie off half back. They were pretty much my two favourite players in that draft for 'list needs' at the time and I had a massive draft boner for Elijah at the time.

I'm less convinced on Ollie atm given its been an up and down year to date for him but I think Cowan projects as a real gun going forward. Kicking may not be fantastic but he's awesome around the contest and in a few stints on ball in the VFL I've thought he's looked remarkably good in that role too.

Binns... Idk same as you. Elite runner, elite accumulator, mediocre user of the footy. He's actually made some real strides with that by become a surgical 15-20m kick like Samo Petrevski Seton... But as seen with SPS... That's really not much use to anyone when every team is trying to speed up their ball movement.

Overall pretty happy with that draft though. Never understood the Jakob Ryan interest though... Just never rated him and still don't. Much happier with Cowan.

Binns is an absolute butcher. I only asked on the Hollands and Cowan front as that was my work.

Whore Island for draft week? Might join you if we end up trading pick 3 in a Baker deal

The whole whore island thing has just become too much to try and explain and debunk. However yes after a short stop to do a tiny bit of work on my house just outside of Dunsborough i'll be in the Philippines managing my investments there and hopefully having a good time sea kayaking and a bit of resort time as it'll be past the normal end of typhoon season.

Binns is an absolute butcher. I only asked on the Hollands and Cowan front as that was my work.
Yeah not the best. Seen worse players flesh out an AFL career but wouldn't be banking on it atm.

A member of my family works for a VIC club but is stationed out in WA for them, mentioned the two WA teams and his own being quite keen on some lanky bastard called Clancy. Can't say I've watched much of him and don't pretend to be a reliable 'ITK' poster but take of that what you will.

The whole whore island thing has just become too much to try and explain and debunk. However yes after a short stop to do a tiny bit of work on my house just outside of Dunsborough i'll be in the Philippines managing my investments there and hopefully having a good time sea kayaking and a bit of resort time as it'll be past the normal end of typhoon season.
Hope your investment is on Boracay or Palawan.

Mainly Boracay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just finished 2 days of club by club meetings and the follow ups from that in Melbourne.

I can't give out details but there is at least one poster here who I personally told that the WCE no longer had the largest offer to Peatling before any media.

I'm busy until 2 tomorrow then have until Monday off.

Only a few weeks to go.

I can't give answers publicly, won't comment on the coach and will only give out limited info to those I personally trust privately.

As far as im concerned most of the crew who seem to rock up solely for the off season shenanigans can **** off.
Can’t we make the largest offer to Peatling? If he is going to be about money and opportunity, we should be the hardest to beat.

Might’ve just lost $1.5m off our books for next year alone with TB and Darling going.

I had hoped that Chesser would also be a wingman but his inability to read the play means he too often gets caught between the contests without impacting either
Chesser needs to play on HBF as the ball will come to him, he doesn’t need to find it.

Large disservice to how good Shuey and Yeo were when they could stay on the park.

Both were top 10 midfielders at their peaks and both would have been close in 2019.

Was unfortunate that neither had a consistent run post 2019 until Elliot this year, which forced Kelly to go from #3 mid to #1. Confident we win at least another premiership if those two in particular were to stay fit.
Agreed. Our underperformance in those years following 2018 can be summarised in the fact that we built an elite starting midfield in Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey and TK but they played something like 10 games together from 2020-2023. We never got to see how good that combination may have been if all healthy and able to play together and build chemistry. The rest is history and now we build again.

Chesser needs to play on HBF as the ball will come to him, he doesn’t need to find it.
How can we be sure though, in the last 3 years who has played the wing role effectively in our team? In fact apart from Gaff have we had a wingman flourish in Simmo's system? I think it's too tough to judge Chess in the wing role until we become a consistently competitive side that is playing a brand that aligns to way the game is played today.

How can we be sure though, in the last 3 years who has played the wing role effectively in our team? In fact apart from Gaff have we had a wingman flourish in Simmo's system? I think it's too tough to judge Chess in the wing role until we become a consistently competitive side that is playing a brand that aligns to way the game is played today.
100% agree, let’s see what a new coach can bring to the table. Chesser has had some very good moments, let’s see if he can expand on that under new guidance.

I’m a bigger fan of Chess than most on here but even I can admit his footy IQ is rubbish. His athletic profile is most suited to the wing but he doesn’t know which contest to commit to or where to position himself forward of the ball. The best he’s looked is with ball in hand running through the corridor from D50. I’d have him and Ginbey on the same summer program with a view to playing mainly HBF with some chop outs at the coal face.

Hopefully after spending more time with the ball coming to them, both might improve their reading of the play to the point they can play further up the ground.

We missed Freijah last year so Lindsay from the draft and O’Driscoll via cheap trade should both be on our radar for that wing role this year. Jack Ough at 194cm might also we worth considering with a late 2R/early 3 picks that we may acquire for Darling or BWilliams.

I’m a bigger fan of Chess than most on here but even I can admit his footy IQ is rubbish. His athletic profile is most suited to the wing but he doesn’t know which contest to commit to or where to position himself forward of the ball. The best he’s looked is with ball in hand running through the corridor from D50. I’d have him and Ginbey on the same summer program with a view to playing mainly HBF with some chop outs at the coal face.

Hopefully after spending more time with the ball coming to them, both might improve their reading of the play to the point they can play further up the ground.

We missed Freijah last year so Lindsay from the draft and O’Driscoll via cheap trade should both be on our radar for that wing role this year. Jack Ough at 194cm might also we worth considering with a late 2R/early 3 picks that we may acquire for Darling or BWilliams.
Who do you rate higher, ough or Hamish Davis? Both could be great on a wing

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chess will be viewed much more favourably here if he can fix his fumbling issues.

I personally view 2-touch (or even 3) players in the same category as those that can’t kick. It’s a momentum killer and always leads to more and more contests (which we suck at).

Given the fact that our rucks are probably our weakest link, I’d say there is zero to **** all chance of us trading out BWilliams.

Who do you rate higher, ough or Hamish Davis? Both could be great on a wing

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Broadly speaking I think Hamish is likely to be picked higher but I’d much prefer use pick 40 on Ough than 23 on Davis. I think he’s be a good fit for us and in future could go through midfield more prominently.

Whilst not a winger Zak Johnston would be another who should be under consideration for us if we got a hold of a pick around 40.

Last edited:
Given the fact that our rucks are probably our weakest link, I’d say there is zero to **** all chance of us trading out BWilliams.
Not the point of the post and don’t think we need to preface every trade scenario post with “provided we have cover for player A”. Knobel, Reidy, Soldo and Eastland are all players who we’d be looking at.

Not the point of the post and don’t think we need to preface every trade scenario post with “provided we have cover for player A”. Knobel, Reidy, Soldo and Eastland are all players who we’d be looking at.
even if we pick up another ruckman, its mostly BF wishful thinking that Bwill would be on the trade block or even wanted by another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back