List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
even if we pick up another ruckman, its mostly BF wishful thinking that Bwill would be on the trade block or even wanted by another club.
Collingwood asked about him earlier in the season, there’s probably a handful of clubs that would be interested I think it’s more to do with what his value is. briztoon thinks he’s late 1st, some say a token pick but most here seem to think around pick 40 is about right. Best result would probably be a player trade.

I do agree with your second point that it’s unlikely we’d push him out, but stranger things have happened.

On reflection Petrucelles season was pretty average. It went under the radar a bit i reckon.

Particularly after his "strong" finish to last year finding his niche as an onballer, which low and behold ended up being a flash in the pan purple patch with no substance.

Much like his entire career unfortunately.

2024 summary from his 16 games (AVG)
10.7 disposals
2.1 tackles
3 clangers
& Booted 11 goals.

The kind of player we really needed to step up as he's in that prime age bracket were trying to acquire more of.

We've invested the past 7+ years into him and counting, but he still can't lock down a spot. He's one of those players who aren't AFL quality but stick around for longer than they should due to more pressing issues with the list elsewhere.

He's 26 next year and better have an impressive season, or he'll be part of the next cull.
Prepare the culling knifes.

The blokes pretty limited.

Wash handsCollingwood asked about him earlier in the season, there’s probably a handful of clubs that would be interested I think it’s more to do with what his value is. briztoon thinks he’s late 1st, some say a token pick but most here seem to think around pick 40 is about right. Best result would probably be a player trade.

I do agree with your second point that it’s unlikely we’d push him out, but stranger things have happened.
Don’t drag me back in to this shemozzle.

Stephen Colbert Oops GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

With the caveat that our coaching, S&C and medical were subpar, I think the biggest mistake post-2018 was thinking that midfield was going to cut it.

2018 from a midfield perspective was a flash in the pan. Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Gaff and Sheed (Naitanui), had never demonstrated consistent midfield dominance bar those few weeks in September. All either inconsistent, perennially injured or not elite. Ironically, given his demise, Gaff was arguably the only bankable member.

That team was held up by the forwards and the backline. In many ways Melbourne, with its weak forward line and similar trajectory is the bizarro version of us.

This lead to overpaying for Kelly and playing him in the wrong position and a belief that if we just get the Best 22 on the park it would work itself out.

It's imperative that we don't make the same mistakes this time. We need rolled gold, A grade midfielders before anything else.
We've had a sub par midfield for a decade +, it's been papered over whenever we had a fit Nic Nat. It just showed his complete and utter dominance. Thinking upon it, i think he's probably my favourite all time eagles player because of that. And the fact i'm a failed, broken down ruck.

Not the point of the post and don’t think we need to preface every trade scenario post with “provided we have cover for player A”. Knobel, Reidy, Soldo and Eastland are all players who we’d be looking at.
You mentioned trading BWilliams being traded, not me. Why put it in your post then? Is no one allowed to comment on it?

I’m a bigger fan of Chess than most on here but even I can admit his footy IQ is rubbish. His athletic profile is most suited to the wing but he doesn’t know which contest to commit to or where to position himself forward of the ball. The best he’s looked is with ball in hand running through the corridor from D50. I’d have him and Ginbey on the same summer program with a view to playing mainly HBF with some chop outs at the coal face.

Hopefully after spending more time with the ball coming to them, both might improve their reading of the play to the point they can play further up the ground.

We missed Freijah last year so Lindsay from the draft and O’Driscoll via cheap trade should both be on our radar for that wing role this year. Jack Ough at 194cm might also we worth considering with a late 2R/early 3 picks that we may acquire for Darling or BWilliams.
I like Hugh Boxshall from Claremont, elite runner, tough and good skills. Been producing very solid numbers in the WAFL and was very good at the champs!

Reckon we could get him past 40 in the draft too. He's potentially this years Freijah.

I like Hugh Boxshall from Claremont, elite runner, tough and good skills. Been producing very solid numbers in the WAFL and was very good at the champs!

Reckon we could get him past 40 in the draft too. He's potentially this years Freijah.
Agreed. There’s some very good WA options likely to be there after pick 40 or even slip through to the rookie draft and Boxshall is one of them. I also like Dennis and Artemis so I’d love to get some picks in that range. Offer Bailey up with Darling and some salary and see if we can get all three of Norf’s later picks.

*provided we have a suitable ruck depth replacement.

Agreed. There’s some very good WA options likely to be there after pick 40 or even slip through to the rookie draft and Boxshall is one of them. I also like Dennis and Artemis so I’d love to get some picks in that range. Offer Bailey up with Darling and some salary and see if we can get all three of Norf’s later picks.

*provided we have a suitable ruck depth replacement.
You hate bailey more than old mate jez hates chesser

Also just need players who don’t pick and choose when to play at their best. When they all do, we’re finals quality. Unfortunately that happens too infrequently
We didn't beat 1 top 8 team this season . Hard to say we are finals quality when that is the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadly speaking I think Hamish is likely to be picked higher but I’d much prefer use pick 40 on Ough than 23 on Davis. I think he’s be a good fit for us and in future could go through midfield more prominently.

Whilst not a winger Zak Johnston would be another who should be under consideration for us if we got a hold of a pick around 40.
Speaking of Johnston, Harvey had a good year and I can see him playing as a winger.

You hate bailey more than old mate jez hates chesser
I don’t hate Bailey at all, he’s tried his guts out playing a different position to the one he spent most of the preseason training for and has stayed fit. I admire him hugely but as I’ve been saying since the preseason I just don’t see a role for him in the team going forward. We’re stacked for KPFs, two of which have good ruck craft and Bailey is never going to be a #1 ruck.

If he did move on I’d wish him every success and whilst I don’t think there’s a squad spot for him with us I’d never question his commitment to the team and hope that wherever he lands he develops into a best 22 player with a defined role.

Big difference between saying a player is a spud and saying there’s no role for him. Grundy is not a spud but there wasn’t a role for him.

As a what ? An uncompetitive ruckman who can’t play forward… yep they would be lined up out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is competitive as a ruck for periods in games. Just not the full time ruck.

And he has improvement left in him as alot of rucks peak as they get close to 30.

One of the toughest positions to play. And very, very few can play it.

But criticising or downplaying the worth of developing rucks isn't hard. Because it takes time for them to peak.

Looks like you've written him off so be it. Time will tell if other clubs agree with you.l or not.

We didn't beat 1 top 8 team this season . Hard to say we are finals quality when that is the case
That’s because the players choose not to compete. What I meant was a midfield of Yeo, Reid, Kelly is finals quality but getting the three of them to perform at the same time is a rarity compared to those midfields in the top 8

The AFL said they wouldn't implement the new bidding rules because teams had planned 12 months ago even though it was in the works last off season

As amateurish as the AFL is they wouldn't make that mistake again .
True, but we did beat both Fremantle and Melbourne when they were up and about, they just fell away later.

Given the fact that our rucks are probably our weakest link, I’d say there is zero to **** all chance of us trading out BWilliams.

Bit of an oxymoron post this one.

Our weakest link is Williams, so DON'T trade him? Okeydoke.

Fact is, it was pretty obvious he was totally lost as a forward when Flynn played. Any idiot could see that was going to happen.

When he rucks solo he plays his best footy but still battles out of his weight and makes spud oppo rucks look like prime Dean Cox. We can't allow it to continue.

Flynn has been incredibly disappointing, but Williams really has no long term future in this side IMO. Unless the club buries it's head in the sand and carries on conceding the ruck taps.

Then there's Barnetts development, gee whiz. Our rucks really are the worst part of our list right now, and that's saying something given it's been our pedestrian midfield for a long time.

To another club Williams has quite a good highlights package, he's an athletic specimen and gets his hands dirty. For a club with a better midfield, he could work, or a club backing themselves to get more out of him as a forward than we have.

He's most definitely worth something IMO.

The AFL said they wouldn't implement the new bidding rules because teams had planned 12 months ago even though it was in the works last off season

As amateurish as the AFL is they wouldn't make that mistake again .

You’d hope not

The AFL flagged the changes to the points system at least 2 months ago and that was after an extensive overall review

We are now less than a month away from trade week commencing and the points/bidding system still is yet to be announced.

The AFL have form in being tardy with this sort of thing - the salary cap for 2023 for example wasn’t set until late 2023, after the season had finished. Players got backdated pay rises as a result

So whilst I expect the new system to be released in the next 3 weeks, I’ll not be surprised in the slightest if it isn’t

Bit of an oxymoron post this one.

Our weakest link is Williams, so DON'T trade him? Okeydoke.

Fact is, it was pretty obvious he was totally lost as a forward when Flynn played. Any idiot could see that was going to happen.

When he rucks solo he plays his best footy but still battles out of his weight and makes spud oppo rucks look like prime Dean Cox. We can't allow it to continue.

Flynn has been incredibly disappointing, but Williams really has no long term future in this side IMO. Unless the club buries it's head in the sand and carries on conceding the ruck taps.

Then there's Barnetts development, gee whiz. Our rucks really are the worst part of our list right now, and that's saying something given it's been our pedestrian midfield for a long time.

To another club Williams has quite a good highlights package, he's an athletic specimen and gets his hands dirty. For a club with a better midfield, he could work, or a club backing themselves to get more out of him as a forward than we have.

He's most definitely worth something IMO.

Williams does win centre bounce taps. And around the ground early in games before he runs out of petrol later in games and taller rucks start to dominate. They don't get shorter when smaller rucks like Bailey get tired.

So Bailey does win taps. Watch the first quarter v Xeri.

His issue is winning more tap to advantage. Improving the hurt factor when he does win a tap.

Sounded like the frame work is already done on the points. I think it was even mentioned on the special Gettable episode that 3000 pts taken out of the system and the last picks points going from 220 to 70 from memory.

Teams would probably have it but might not put it out to the public due to getting everyone confused in this period

I don’t hate Bailey at all, he’s tried his guts out playing a different position to the one he spent most of the preseason training for and has stayed fit. I admire him hugely but as I’ve been saying since the preseason I just don’t see a role for him in the team going forward. We’re stacked for KPFs, two of which have good ruck craft and Bailey is never going to be a #1 ruck.

If he did move on I’d wish him every success and whilst I don’t think there’s a squad spot for him with us I’d never question his commitment to the team and hope that wherever he lands he develops into a best 22 player with a defined role.

Big difference between saying a player is a spud and saying there’s no role for him. Grundy is not a spud but there wasn’t a role for him.
All good mate was just taking the piss, I like the majority of your opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back