List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamp Reaction GIF

So does anyone actually think we are going to get anyone of worth or are we gonna come up short for Baker, Carroll, Garcia, Peatling, Perryman, Cumming, Robertson. Swift, Notte, Weedon, McInnes??

This whole rattling cages and the super secret high calibre player we’re courting sounds great for the big footy masses but does anyone actually think anything is going to happen?

So does anyone actually think we are going to get anyone of worth or are we gonna come up short for Baker, Carroll, Garcia, Peatling, Perryman, Cumming, Robertson. Swift, Notte, Weedon, McInnes??

This whole rattling cages and the super secret high calibre player we’re courting looks great in print but does anyone actually think it’s going to happen?
Are you implying we should ban Phil (or Phil's dad) from this board if he doesn't come through?

Are you implying we should ban Phil (or Phil's dad) from this board if he doesn't come through?
The only thing I’m implying is that players we’ve been rumoured to have interest in are re signing or shunning us (Busslinger, Peatling) and to this point no one has even indicated they’re even remotely interested in joining us. Yes, there are players still playing but even Baker won’t give a solid answer indicating it depends on who we hire as Head Coach. If estimates are correct we should have a ahitload of cash in our cap for next year. Gaff and Barrass alone will see to that and yet it doesn’t seem to be doing very much for us so far.

To say my hopes are not high is an understatement.

This whole rattling cages and the super secret high calibre player we’re courting sounds great for the big footy masses but does anyone actually think anything is going to happen?

I think we’ll get 2, maybe 3 players traded/FA in.

Unlikely any ‘big fish’ though.

Gut feel, Baker, Graham, Dev. (And, this won’t be popular here and I hate it, think that Hawks F1 will be used for Baker, probably with something coming back).

No inside info, just a random prediction.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Williams does win centre bounce taps. And around the ground early in games before he runs out of petrol later in games and taller rucks start to dominate. They don't get shorter when smaller rucks like Bailey get tired.

So Bailey does win taps. Watch the first quarter v Xeri.

His issue is winning more tap to advantage. Improving the hurt factor when he does win a tap.

Controlling how/when/where he loses is also critically important (and absolutely undercoached).

His best game IMO was against Gawn, and he played more defensive as a ruck. Helped the mids control and predict where the ball would be post stoppage restart.

So yeah, we all want an elite ruck who wins hitout counts and dominates the to advantage column. But if we can’t find that, we need our battlers to provide predictable consistency to our mids and other stoppage players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man to think it was only weeks ago that we all creamed ourselves when reports came out a talent like pickett wanted to come to wce.

People need to get over stuff and understand we are the girls on the bachelor that don't get a rose

Dev isn't coming lol

Last edited:
Anyone able to unlock the codesports article regarding WC willingness to trade JD?

The left-field trade of West Coast’s Jack Darling to North Melbourne now looms as a real possibility as Alastair Clarkson and the Kangaroos list management team look to add a heavy injection of experience to their young team.
Darling, a 32-year-old veteran whose 298 AFL matches sits him second behind only Shannon Hurn on West Coast’s games-played list, has one year of a contract to run at the Eagles and would be set to earn about $800,000 in 2025.

It is understood the Eagles had planned to honour that deal, but are very open to the idea of Darling joining the Kangaroos for a late draft pick with them picking up part of his salary.

Jack Darling could finish his career at North Melbourne. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Jack Darling could finish his career at North Melbourne. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Darling’s North Melbourne deal would be for more than one year but would involve performance triggers, a source told CODE Sports.

Clarkson has been open about his want to add experience to a team that has a lot of young talent but lacks older bodies and structure in key-position posts.

Is West Coast right to trade Jack Darling?​

Yes
No
Cast your vote

Top Performers
Jesse Hogan
Goals

Tom Green
Disposals

Luke Ryan
Marks

Matthew Rowell
Tackles

North have leaned heavily on the goalkicking ability of Nick Larkey in the past two seasons. Larkey kicked 71 goals in 2023, but the next best at the club was Jaidyn Stephenson’s 26. Paul Curtis (30 goals) ranked second to Larkey’s 46 majors in 2024.

Darling’s goalkicking output has diminished gradually over four seasons from 42 in 2021 down to 22 in 2024, but his role has become more unsettled this year due to the emergence of Jake Waterman in attack.

North wants to partner Darling with Nick Larkey in attack. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

North wants to partner Darling with Nick Larkey in attack. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Waterman, Oscar Allen, emerging youngster Jack Williams and 2023 draftee Archer Reid give the Eagles more than enough tall options to feel comfortable letting Darling go in the twilight of his career.

At North, his place in the structure would be potentially as important as his goalkicking output.

North played defender Toby Pink as a makeshift forward at times this season — placing pressure on hybrid forwards Paul Curtis and Cam Zurhaar to also play tall.

Darling’s potential departure does however add another layer of uncertainty to the Eagles players waiting on their contract fates, with as many as eight players in limbo.

Part of the uncertainty is caused by the fact that there is no senior coach in place, with the club believing it should wait for Adam Simpson’s successor before passing judgement on some of the more marginal calls on the list.

The emergence of players such as Jack Williams has given West Coast more options when considering Darling’s future. Picture: Josh Chadwick/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

The emergence of players such as Jack Williams has given West Coast more options when considering Darling’s future. Picture: Josh Chadwick/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
The selection of the coach could also affect West Coast’s ability to bring players in.

More Coverage​

Jack’s back: Veteran Eagle ‘here to stay’ despite selection pressure
While Andrew McQualter — understood to be one of the top four candidates under consideration — would not automatically get the job because of his relationships with Richmond pair Jack Graham and Liam Baker, a McQualter appointment would certainly not hurt the Eagles hopes of luring the Tigers premiership pair.

Most Eagles insiders have McQualter and Geelong assistant Steven King as the two favourites for the job.

If one or both of Graham and Baker came it could trigger an extra delisting or two among the Eagles uncontracted players with the club expected to start making cuts in the middle of next week.

UNCONTRACTED EAGLES - AND WHERE THEY ARE AT​

Alex Witherden (25): He played 18 games in 2024. Adam Simpson had confidence in him but he did spend time in the WAFL late in the season. Fifty fifty.
Jamaine Jones (25): Played 11 games this year, 13 last year and was out of favour at the selection table for much of the year. If the Eagles cut deep he is unlikely to survive.
Josh Rotham (26, pictured below): Has managed 13 games in each of the last three seasons. He is an unrestricted free agent. His height (193cm) and mobility offer some appeal but people close to him believe he should see if there are other opportunities.

paragraphimage-0_3Vu8dnEf0.jpg

Zane Trew (22): He played seven games, showed promise in a couple but never quite grasped the opportunity. Likely to go.
Coby Burgiel (20): Yet to debut. He played 12 games of WAFL this year after an injury riddled 2023 which ended with hamstring surgery. Cutting a second year kid would be brutal but he is vulnerable.
Jai Culley (21): Came back from a knee reconstruction, played three AFL games and 14 in the WAFL. Was thought to be in talks over a fresh deal but nothing has been confirmed yet. Big body with a good attitude but a query on his speed.
Jordyn Baker (20): Has played 31 WAFL games over the past two seasons as one of the club’s NGA prospects, May not have done enough to retain his spot.
Luke Edwards (22): He played 12 games this season and has supporters at the club but there are question marks as well. Not quick and has been injury prone over four seasons which have produced 37 games. May depend on how deep the cuts go.

Man to think it was only weeks ago that we all creamed ourselves when reports came out a talent like pickett wanted to come to wce.

People need to get over stuff and understand we are the fat girl at parties nobody want to touch.

Dev isn't coming lol
Why would we possibly want Dev? Is a scrub.

I … don’t recall that happening at all.

I dont know what has been discussed for the last 30 pages.

But JK was travelling with us for work this week, and I was told Darling is done. He was disappointed he couldn't make 300 for the eagles.

So I guess we'll see what happens?...

Jack Martin delisted, nothing about Carroll yet…..

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back