List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but what about his AFL fantasy scores when he does play?

That's the thing, even in Fantasy Football circles I don't think Marchbank has ever been remotely impressive or relevant, save his debut season. Am I wrong kent ArdentEagle?

Very odd comment.

It's be like an oppo board saying "Hey everyone, Josh Rotham has been delisted, I haven't seen much of him but in AFL fantasy he's a contributor..." 👀

With Dusty apparently in conversations with Gold Coast, is it possible media are getting their Coasts wrong, and the rumour(s) on this board of us maybe speaking to a big fish is actually Dusty! Rather then sign with Gold Coast and play against the heir apparent in Harley, he would rather play with him ;)

With Dusty apparently in conversations with Gold Coast, is it possible media are getting their Coasts wrong, and the rumour(s) on this board of us maybe speaking to a big fish is actually Dusty! Rather then sign with Gold Coast and play against the heir apparent in Harley, he would rather play with him ;)
They got their Martins wrong as well and we're actually talking to Jack

As many have said, I’d also happily take Dev for peanuts.

I think it worked out well it has taken a year. If he came last year, I daresay the coaches would have felt compelled to play him inside midfield and this may have impacted Harley’s role especially early in the season (conversely it may have helped ease the load).

In addition, him staying showed loyalty and a willingness and competitiveness to fight for his spot in a contending team (obviously didn’t work out).

Something token just to get him off our list to open up a list spot for the draft. Swap of fourth rounders.
Just wondering why he was offered and signed a new contract last year.
Looked like we were close to getting him last year but he decided to stay on a new contract (if I remember right)
Now he is basically a list clogger??

Was he expected to go to another level this year and didn't or was he just retained as an injury back up?

Just seems weird Brisbane could have let him go last year but for more than they would prob get now.

For everyone concerned about our ruck situation. They're just not that important

You either have an elite one that you drafted, or you need a solid one who can do their job relatively cheaply.

Right now we have neither, but doesn’t mean we should go out and pay a premium for them. Do need to find a way to get a reliable lump of a boy out there to just not lose every tap, which Flynn could yet prove to be.

Nothing earth shattering in here but a brief write up for those who just want a quick idea of what Hamish would bring to WCE if selected. I agree with their draft prediction of 30ish.

Just wondering why he was offered and signed a new contract last year.
Looked like we were close to getting him last year but he decided to stay on a new contract (if I remember right)
Now he is basically a list clogger??

Was he expected to go to another level this year and didn't or was he just retained as an injury back up?

Just seems weird Brisbane could have let him go last year but for more than they would prob get now.
Our coach said he expected Dev to leave last offseason, but something happened at the clubs’ award night and Dev decided to re-sign for two more years.

He played through finals last year with a broken wrist and didn’t tell the club at first. Had offseason surgery on it, and needed a second surgery at the beginning of the season, so missed his chance to get back in the team when we had all those ACL’s.

Been dominating VFL in the second half of the season, but there hasn’t been a spot for him in the senior team since he came back.

people here fomo so much over trade action of fringe depth upgrades it's crazy. unless they're a ufa or will cost bugger all i don't really want to hear about it at this point of the build.

Yeah, but people froth about draft selections also.

2nd rounders can end up AA or elite players, or delist fodder within a couple of years.

At the right price, a known quantity who incrementally improves the side immediately is the value play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Something token just to get him off our list to open up a list spot for the draft. Swap of fourth rounders.
So its a list and salary dump for Brisbane?
That suggests you should be compensating us with a draft pick, not us downgrading our 4th rounder for yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but people froth about draft selections also.

2nd rounders can end up AA or elite players, or delist fodder within a couple of years.

At the right price, a known quantity who incrementally improves the side immediately is the value play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great perspective. The draft is not the holy grail. Most of the guys on our list that posters sook about were drafted by the club. Which young fringe players could we have traded in with those picks instead that may have given us bigger improvement? The unknown is not always better. Especially when we are talking late picks for someone like Dev, speculative at best.

Why does jack darling deserves to make the 300 club? He has played trash for three seasons so he should be thankful he made the 250 club.. he has been carried the last 40 games at least.
If we were a club that wanted high performance rather than feel good touchy feely moments he should have been thrown out the door 2 seasons ago.. thankfully the guys that did his contract have gone

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As mentioned it's a good time for him to move on.
He was 2 games shy of 300, that's why in a sense it's a pity, but it's not a big deal?
I never mentioned anything about him staying on to reach 300, and I fully realise we have fine young players to replace him, which is why I'm okay with him leaving. I've also potted Jack in the recent past, along with Gaff and Simmo.

He is the clubs 2nd highest goalkicker 'of all time', behind JK - I presume you were fine with Jack when he was a club champion for many years, kicking lots of goals.
Fortunately we don't all share such cold heartless opinions of players (and ex coach), it doesn't cost anything to show a bit of empathy to a club great on his way out.

Last edited:
Robertson would be a good pick up for nothing. He's a gut runner that offers a strong presence around the ball, two qualities that we severely lack. With Ginbey playing half back a spot has opened up in the midfield for someone to play a more defensive role. He could also potentially play as a winger or be used as a tagger. Either way he's young and offers good depth and flexibility. He would offer more than most of our fringe targets bar Garcia.

No. We’re helping out a player get to where he wants to go.
This is the part that makes me question him, where he wants to go.
Surely if he really wanted to get back to Perth and play for West Coast he would have done it last year instead of re-signing for 2 more years. Sounds very confused as to where he wants to be or maybe he just felt loyalty to stay at Brissy.

Thought by now though he would be a pretty established player wherever he went, if memory serves me right he did alright in his draft year and was the captain of the WA state side.

Oh well hopefully he comes good and performs up to his potential, in the Blue and Gold of course 😁😁

So does anyone actually think we are going to get anyone of worth or are we gonna come up short for Baker, Carroll, Garcia, Peatling, Perryman, Cumming, Robertson. Swift, Notte, Weedon, McInnes??

This whole rattling cages and the super secret high calibre player we’re courting sounds great for the big footy masses but does anyone actually think anything is going to happen?

Be patient ThePuma #9 , I do know that we are actually trying to get some decent things done, but its still all very early in the whole process of, first the enquiry and then secondly the negotiating.

There is always a bit of a domino effect with some of these signings and player movements.

There are plenty of feelers out there for sure, but given that there are still six teams playing finals it's difficult to get any clarity on just who is genuine and who is doing an Oliver Twist.

And a few of those six teams hold some very significant pieces, in the Trade jigsaw puzzle.

We fans and plebs are always after instantaneous news on the developments.

Expecting some news at this point in time is akin to being flustered on the second night of the Trade Period, disappointed that no big trades have been done yet.

It's always difficult to dislodge quality players from their current Clubs, but that does not mean that we aren't trying.

No. We’re helping out a player get to where he wants to go.
Any actual intel that Dev wants out and actually wants to go to the Eagles.

It’s a trade that suits all parties. Should’ve happened last year but definitely should happen this year.

Weird there has been 0 reports about it besides the occasional link and that’s only from Journos putting 2 and 2 together.

Eagles have played their cards very close to their chest this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back