List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bakers a good player but i doubt either us or freo are going to bend over backwards for him. I think the deal hinges on what Richmond get for shai because they know they have zero leverage with him(baker). If rich get overs like 9 + 10 for shai they will prob let us get Baker for cheap if not he'll end up at freo. I find it a bit weird now that baker hasn't nominated either freo or us, to me that says a lot. I think we can rest easy knowing 3 and 13 are completely off limits (as it should be) in any trade for baker much to Ralph's disappointment

i'm firmly in the '3 is untouchable' camp but beveridge on trade radio saying we still think bolton is a possibility. wondering what that could look like.

3 + Hawks F1 for bolton, baker and 6?

Port replacing Houston with Cumming and a first rounder (what they get in trade for Houston) wouldn’t be the worst result for them if Houston is set on leaving
Except Cumming got on the park 6 times this year including 2 finals!! Meanwhile Houston played 22 and would have been more if not suspended.

If, and a big IF, Cumming gets his body right, a great piece of business. Time will tell

Am I the only one who doesn't want anything to do with Matt Kennedy?

Kennedy is a list clogger of the highest degree. Fold the club if we go there.

I'd rather Sheed taking midfield minutes than this plodder, and I want Sheed leading the huddles at WAFL games. Kennedy is missing games through injury as much as Sheed too it seems.

Not only are his career stats in general worse than Sheed's, Kennedy is not one spoken about for his leadership or capacity to mentor younger players on the track. At least Sheed is spoken really highly of by his teammates about his footy brain and mentorship. I understand the free agent with leadership appeal in Graham, but Kennedy would cost draft picks and bring nothing of the sort.

What can Kennedy do that we wouldn't get from younger kids on our list with some potential for improvement? I know a lot of people here have written off Culley since his ACL but surely even these folks would see more potential to improve than someone like Kennedy. Give me the fourth rounder with some potential to develop instead of this potato.
Kennedy played 23 games this year for a finals team, is better than many of the players we'll be delisting, and will be cheap. Not likely that we'll be going after him with Baker likely to join but if we were to pick him up for say an F3, that would be a solid move.

So now Jon Ralph is saying that 2 x R1 for Barrass + F2 gets done.

Optics look like too much but it is really a slight pick slide in 2025 and the Hawks R1 this year is not enough

Now we can watch the slimy little trurd start writing that pick 13 is the answer to Baker getting done. You can take the punt out of Punt Road but he is still a punt
All the upside is with us. We can use the pick or trade it. Can we do better? Possibly. But I'm taking it and running.

Ralphy's motive however would be to get Richmond's hands on Hawthorn's F1, which we may well do if it came as Hawthorn F1 for Baker + 29 (3, 13, 23, 29 this year without compromising next year's hand).

Last edited:
Kennedy played 23 games this year for a finals team, is better than many of the players we'll be delisting, and will be cheap. Not likely that we'll be going after him with Baker likely to join but if we were to pick him up for say an F3, that would be a solid move.

Whilst it’s true Kennedy played 24 games this year (which is a career high eclipsing the 17 he played in 2022), Carlton were smashed by injuries so he arguably played more games than would otherwise have been the case

He’s also 27 so at the high end of the mid range age bracket we’d like to boost

Not saying we shouldn’t ask if he’s interested in a move but there’d be others ahead of him if we can get them

Except Cumming got on the park 6 times this year including 2 finals!! Meanwhile Houston played 22 and would have been more if not suspended.

If, and a big IF, Cumming gets his body right, a great piece of business. Time will tell
He has been reliable injury wise prior to this year. It happens. Hopefully he's right going forward as he's a good player to watch.

Whilst it’s true Kennedy played 24 games this year (which is a career high eclipsing the 17 he played in 2022), Carlton were smashed by injuries so he arguably played more games than would otherwise have been the case

He’s also 27 so at the high end of the mid range age bracket we’d like to boost

Not saying we shouldn’t ask if he’s interested in a move but there’d be others ahead of him if we can get them
Kennedy has the following issue at Carlton. Cripps, Hewett, and even Newman are all vying for similar roles, as the slightly slower crash and bash player. They can't play them all in the midfield, that's why Newamn get shuffled to half back, and Kenenedy forward. He wouldn't have that issue in our midfield if we get rid of the plodders, and he goes in there to be a hard nut.

Riley and Cal mentioning again today clubs rate picks between 5-10 pretty much equal to picks 1-4. It's a shame about Murphy Reid otherwise i honestly think we would slide back from 3 to 6 for Baker assuming that's what GCS pay for Rioli. There's still a chance it could happen if we're really keen on Lalor but it seems unlikely. To slide back from 3 to 6 one of FOS, Draper, Langford or Lalor would have to be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want Sheed to play Inside Mid instead of Kennedy which is his preferred position?

Kennedy has also played all over the ground this year and quite well.

Oh and he also played all 24 games this year which is the same as Sheed of course.
I want neither, if you bothered to read properly. One plodder on the list is enough. Why do we need another?

He's not played well, he's a fringe player who clearly doesn't have the backing of coaches to follow any specific role in the midfield: so he gets the last spot on a flank when they wanted a big body or the sub vest. He's had multiple chances to play his "preferred position" at two clubs and never got to do either cos he is not good enough at it.

If you wanna ignore the various injuries he's sustained across his whole career that's fine too I guess.

All the upside is with us. We can use the pick or trade it. Can we do better? Possibly. But I'm taking it and running.

Ralphy's motive however would be to get Richmond's hands on Hawthorn's F1, which we may well do if it came as Hawthorn F1 for Baker + 29 (3, 13, 23, 29 this year without compromising next year's hand).
Not a bad offer - Baker + 29 for Hawks F1.

If we think the Hawks will be top 4, a very good deal. I rate this year's draft higher than next year but that may change.

That said, I like the idea of death riding the Hawks with a F1

I want neither, if you bothered to read properly. One plodder on the list is enough. Why do we need another?

He's not played well, he's a fringe player who clearly doesn't have the backing of coaches to follow any specific role in the midfield: so he gets the last spot on a flank when they wanted a big body or the sub vest. He's had multiple chances to play his "preferred position" at two clubs and never got to do either cos he is not good enough at it.

If you wanna ignore the various injuries he's sustained across his whole career that's fine too I guess.

The sad thing is that our list and midfield is in such a dire state that he could still add something. By rights, if we were half decent, he wouldn't.

Kennedy has the following issue at Carlton. Cripps, Hewett, and even Newman are all vying for similar roles, as the slightly slower crash and bash player. They can't play them all in the midfield, that's why Newamn get shuffled to half back, and Kenenedy forward. He wouldn't have that issue in our midfield if we get rid of the plodders, and he goes in there to be a hard nut.
Kennedy is the slow bullocking bull on the inside. That means he and Cripps do not go well together. It is really a choice of Kennedy or Cripps and that is never going to go well for him.

If we got Kennedy, that could free up Yeo to be the attacking defender off HBF and would also mean we can get away with only 2 talls in defence. A clearance team of Harley, Kennedy and Kelly would be OK. Not great but OK. I am expecting we get someone like him or Graham or Parfitt. With Ginbey looking better down back and Hewett questionable, we need a stop gap.

Of course St Kilda are into Jack Macrae.

St Kilda is the destination club for players being put out to pasture.
Always lol when a player nominates St Kilda as their preferred destination as you immediately know that they have no interest in winning flags or being at a successful club.

I'd rather Sheed taking midfield minutes than this plodder, and I want Sheed leading the huddles at WAFL games. Kennedy is missing games through injury as much as Sheed too it seems.

Not only are his career stats in general worse than Sheed's, Kennedy is not one spoken about for his leadership or capacity to mentor younger players on the track. At least Sheed is spoken really highly of by his teammates about his footy brain and mentorship. I understand the free agent with leadership appeal in Graham, but Kennedy would cost draft picks and bring nothing of the sort.

What can Kennedy do that we wouldn't get from younger kids on our list with some potential for improvement? I know a lot of people here have written off Culley since his ACL but surely even these folks would see more potential to improve than someone like Kennedy. Give me the fourth rounder with some potential to develop instead of this potato.

If we could someone offload both Darling AND Sheed it would be our most successful offseason since 2017.

The sad thing is that our list and midfield is in such a dire state that he could still add something. By rights, if we were half decent, he wouldn't.
No doubt we'd be more competitive taking on a bunch of delisted spuds, it's dire. But we're looking to build the next premiership list, we can't take every spud that'd make our list of spuds slightly less spudier right?

Here's my wishlist preference; all of these players would offer something more in the midfield than what we're delisting, but we'll be damned if we take more than one:

Clear AFL level improvement:
  • Peatling
  • Baker (obvs without overpaying)
Borderline 22 / WAFL-level support:
  • Graham/Parfitt (as free agent)
  • Garcia
  • Dev
  • Kennedy
  • Seb Ross

No doubt we'd be more competitive taking on a bunch of delisted spuds, it's dire. But we're looking to build the next premiership list, we can't take every spud that'd make our list of spuds slightly less spudier right?

Here's my wishlist preference; all of these players would offer something more in the midfield than what we're delisting, but we'll be damned if we take more than one:

Clear AFL level improvement:
  • Peatling
  • Baker (obvs without overpaying)
Borderline 22 / WAFL-level support:
  • Graham/Parfitt (as free agent)
  • Garcia
  • Dev
  • Kennedy
  • Seb Ross
The problem is though, unless we start to improve, it may be hard to attract top line talent through free agency and trades and to retain what talent we have. So we need to improve incrementally.

Kennedy is a better mid than Baker or Parfitt or anybody else even vaguely linked to us.
Hes 27, hes 190cm, and hes only on the outer at the blues because they have too many inside mids and they want him to play HFF which he isnt interested in.
He should be right at the top of our list next to Peatling as a defensive inside mid

So simmo just revealed on SEN Melbourne that half way through the year, "A grade players were calling the club asking to come to us to play with Harley". Wouldn't elaborate.

Go get em Phil!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure how we add an A Grader, even if the wanted to come, without giving up our first rounder. Unless it's Warner, i'll pass and take the kid that will be good for 10+ years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back