List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

With darling gone they could look at gerryn at 23 and send Archer to chb under gov. Pretty sure will scho was impressed by dennis so that'd mean westcoast are into him.

3 fos/draper
13 Lindsay
23 gerryn
40(darling) dennis
59 champion
I's put Lalor as an option at 3 as well. If he slips to 13 we would be mad not to take him.

odds we see a tall bolt up the order a bit? seems to happen most years. would norf go in on armstrong @2 or split? could see the crows or the dees pulling the trigger also.

Now that some of the dust has settled I wouldn’t mind seeing the following outcome.

Wouldn't mind adding a random trade or two to bring in an extra 2nd/3rd round picks.
Would also consider dealing with Freo if they wanted to move up, 13&40 for 17&27.(might get us Lindsay and Oliver?)

In:
6, 12, 13, 40, HF1, Warner, Baker, Peatling. (Graham FA)

Out:
3, 12, 23, WF2, WF3, HF1, Barrass Darling.

Draft:
6 - Lalor, Langford, Reid, Draper, FOS, Smith, Smillie.
13 - Tauru, TT, Trainor, Lindsay.
40 - Best available.
56 - Champion. Screenshot_20240918_085257_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240918_083853_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240918_091131_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240918_085530_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240918_085652_Chrome.jpg

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Depth in that second round looks pretty juicy to me. I'm only trading that currency this year as part of a package for an elite player.

Additionally, I'm trading out F2 & F3 picks to get another pick in the 2R this year, knowing the current view on the value of future picks is low. If we take more young kids this year and find ourselves underperforming again next year without draft currency then the position for AFL draft assistance surely becomes a certainty - Free Hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth in that second round looks pretty juicy to me. I'm only trading that currency this year as part of a package for an elite player.

Additionally, I'm trading out F2 & F3 picks to get another pick in the 2R this year, knowing the current view on the value of future picks is low. If we take more young kids this year and find ourselves underperforming again next year without draft currency then the position for AFL draft assistance surely becomes a certainty - Free Hit.
Trade those future picks out and you might struggle to bid match and get discount on our NGAs and FS next year

Going more off Twomey's phantom, something like this appears to be where things are at:

#1 RICH - Smith
#2 BRIS - Match bid for Ashcroft
#3 NM - Langford
#4 WCE - Draper
#5 ADE - FOS
#6 MELB - M. Reid
#7 GC - Smillie
#8 STK - Lalor
#9 ESS - Tauru
#10 FREO - Allan
#11 COLL - Armstrong
#12 CARL - Travaglia
#13 WB - Trainor
#14 GC - Match bid on Lombard
#15 WC - Berry? Hotton? Lindsay? Hynes? Dodson?

Personally really hoping someone like Travaglia gets through but thanks to stupid Hawthorn and their stupid run their pick is likely to see us selecting from the next bracket of players. Honestly don't know who to take in that range! Berry would make sense but we will be adding Champion later in the draft, too. Lindsay a safe bet. Hynes for x-factor... If this is how it pans out, it will be very intriguing to see who we go with.

Vic Metro flight risks I have are:

Murphy Reid - very much a mummies boy
Taj Hotton - was suspect and now in rehab makes me want to avoid him
Luke Trainor - he has been dropping hints in media sessions about Norf and Doug Wade's grandson and -----

Good to see such rich Vic Country prospects to choose from

Lewis Young is alright but I think if we’re hunting for some ready made key defensive depth we should ask the Suns about Caleb Graham.

Played 27 games over 2021 and 2022, signed a four year deal and then hasn’t gotten a game since, stuck behind Collins and Ballard.

Still contracted through to 2026, Gold Coast are short on list spots and looking to bring in Rioli, potentially Martin and who knows who else. They might be tempted to just get him off the books.

Vic Metro flight risks I have are:

Murphy Reid - very much a mummies boy
Taj Hotton - was suspect and now in rehab makes me want to avoid him
Luke Trainor - he has been dropping hints in media sessions about Norf and Doug Wade's grandson and -----

Good to see such rich Vic Country prospects to choose from

Now is this just the cynic in me?

But aren’t they all from the - Sandringham Dragons, Private School, Bayside suburbs cohort……. FMD - entitled or what?

Cal is not the best talent spotter but he is the best networker so I take his rankings seriously as he has recruitment and list managers giving input

I suggest posters stop worrying about F/S and Academy prospects as they will continue to be met in 2024 with later points. Here is Cal's ranking minus those not available in the open pool
1726628732243.png
I do not want to slide back from 3 UNLESS it is with a 6 and 9. Would Richmond do it? If they get a big enough haul of R1 they may want to jump early on pairing of their gun mids. A pairing of say Smith and Langford or Smith and Reid may be desirable. I suggest with Cal ranking Langford at 2 (1 after Levi) is that the Tigers are interested. He always likes to validate himself on his rankings.

For those against the slide, questions is would you prefer

Stay - FOS or Draper or Lalor
Slide - Smillie or Draper PLUS Tauru or Travaglia

If it was to fall out that way, I am taking the slide. Add to that a Berry or Lindsay at the Hawks bid and Oliver or Gross at our R2

We could walk away with Draper, Travaglia, Lindsay and Gross all inside 25. 2 balanced mids plus a small forward who can run through the midfield and an attacking half back who can also play an outside leading mid/wing role.

I am thinking we have enough developing talls to wait for one later or try to sell off the Hawks sweetener (whatever it may be) to get a KPDer this year. There are plenty later in the draft.

He was ranked at 9 in July and then 7 in August. Seems to be a pretty consistent range for him. Posters here are very keen on him but haven’t seen him ranked top 5 anywhere else

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back