List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty rough to give them their marching orders a day before the club champion awards. A couple of days wouldn't have hurt.
That being said, I have no issues with us delisting the rest of them and paying out Sheed unless there is interest from other teams.

The delistings announced today come as no surprise and more should be expected largely depending on our success or otherwise in attracting trade/FA targets

Wish JD all the best. Underrated and overly criticised for much of his career he gets to eke out another year or two at North. Makes sense for all involved

Would prefer 58 to 64 but at that stage of the draft it’s splitting hairs

I actually think delisting Jordyn Baker is a pretty poor decision. He's been just as consistent as Dewar in the WAFL mess over the last few seasons, and we've seen how well Tyrell has done coming into the seniors.

We are also nearly completely bereft of players who can offer real drive from the backline. I'd have delisted the likes of Witherden and Rotham (who never grew into that role) before Baker, who has some dash about him.

Maybe I'm overreacting because I'm irked by the fact he was never given a single chance at senior level.

Ultimately it goes down as an 'easy' delisting on paper. Reckon he goes on to have a good state career.

With Darling out the door and Gaff retired that gives us at least 1.5/6 million of cap space to play with now. And that's before the news of the other delistings.
Barrass too. Probably over 2 million dollars in cap space.

Don't think they will get rid of Sheed otherwise it will be too much.

I actually think delisting Jordyn Baker is a pretty poor decision. He's been just as consistent as Dewar in the WAFL mess over the last few seasons, and we've seen how well Tyrell has done coming into the seniors.

We are also nearly completely bereft of players who can offer real drive from the backline. I'd have delisted the likes of Witherden and Rotham (who never grew into that role) before Baker, who has some dash about him.

Maybe I'm overreacting because I'm irked by the fact he was never given a single chance at senior level.

Ultimately it goes down as an 'easy' delisting on paper. Reckon he goes on to have a good state career.

Decent WAFL player is probably his level

Would like us to keep him on at the Beagles if he’s interested with the carrot of a relisting if he improves

Decent WAFL player is probably his level

Would like us to keep him on at the Beagles if he’s interested with the carrot of a relisting if he improves
Realistically if he wants to improve enough to get another crack at an AFL career he should go to a different WAFL club.

Beagles is a graveyard for development.

We need to delist somebody, and is Baker projecting to be worthy of a best 22 spot for us? probably not

Better to keep the senior bodies who can provide leadership and cover(Witho not Rotham) than another teenager alongside the kids who we think actually have a future at AFL level.

Not every player on an AFL list gets a debut, thats not how it works

Feel sorry for any player delisted, but that's the industry.
Fairly certain the club gives some support in post AFL life.
Sumich has been interesting around Zane Trew, after saying 'he can sook it up a little after getting feedback'..paraphrasing.
Unsure if Suma has said his real position is defensive mid, though.
1 qtr v Patrick Cripps put that to bed.
Hopefully, for Trew, he gets picked up again AFL...don't really see it.
Saving that, hope he tears it up for Swan Districts, gets a Sandover & helps keep Peel out of another WAFL GF.

We need to delist somebody, and is Baker projecting to be worthy of a best 22 spot for us? probably not

Better to keep the senior bodies who can provide leadership and cover(Witho not Rotham) than another teenager alongside the kids who we think actually have a future at AFL level.

Not every player on an AFL list gets a debut, thats not how it works
I'm aware of that, it isn't puppydogs and rainbows. But I definitely feel Baker deserved a debut more than most given what he and Dewar endured during 2023 especially.

The cover argument is more than fair, I just feel as though I'd take a punt on a Baker rather than retain somebody who has proven to be below AFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically if he wants to improve enough to get another crack at an AFL career he should go to a different WAFL club.

Beagles is a graveyard for development.

Probably, but we need to build our WAFL depth which means recruiting/retaining as many players with WAFL ability as possible

My feelings on Zane Trew

Season 6 Episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm aware of that, it isn't puppydogs and rainbows. But I definitely feel Baker deserved a debut more than most given what he and Dewar endured during 2023 especially.

The cover argument is more than fair, I just feel as though I'd take a punt on a Baker rather than retain somebody who has proven to be below AFL standard.

I am with you in regards to Baker. I like him as a player, just needed another year in the gym, but has dash and skills.
I am disappointed in his delisting too.

Still haven’t quite hit the 10 changes Simmo predicted. But assume LEdwards will be medically retired.

Trew the stiffest of the three announced today but not unexpected after barely surviving last season.

Witherden and Rotham seemingly lucky (so far) but the latter reportedly has some interest as a UFA (surprisingly).

Jamieson a chance to get the Zac Langdon treatment? Sheed also doesn’t add much to the list for next season for mine. If his foot doesn’t come up for preseason I’d like him paid out too so we have a spot for the SSP period before the start of next year.

My feelings on Zane Trew

Season 6 Episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Had Noah Long not done his knee the retention of Zane Trew would have meant we missed out on Hutch in the MSD. It was a stupid decision then and it is still a stupid decision now.

In saying that thanks Zane, I did enjoy your breakout game and that time you punched your soon to be coach’s son in the guts.

All the best for the future.

Not happy with Trew going. Actually has the right attributes and toughness. Not enough opportunity.

Only reason I see to delist is because we will try to trade out Rotham for a pathetic type draft pick and perhaps redrafting Trew.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back