List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for the draft watchers. Is Moraes just a no go now? His stock has plummeted, but seems like he would provide that outside run and class that we need. Did he fall victim to being pushed out of a stacked Vic metro midfield, and could he be a potential value pick at 23 if he slides? What's the knock on him from a WCE perspective?
I still rate him. Did get pushed out of the VicM midfield and needs to work on a couple of things like his ball drop but I’d expect he’d be in the conversation for pick 23 if available but I do think he’ll go earlier.

A question for the draft watchers. Is Moraes just a no go now? His stock has plummeted, but seems like he would provide that outside run and class that we need. Did he fall victim to being pushed out of a stacked Vic metro midfield, and could he be a potential value pick at 23 if he slides? What's the knock on him from a WCE perspective?

I don't think he has done a lot wrong, more so that others have emerged and overtaken him in the pecking order.

Some of us were talking up the depth of this draft cohort 12 months ago and ridiculed with the .... yeah, yeah..... that same old chestnut fallacy that " next years draft cohort is always better".

Well rolling forward 12 months and I think those skeptics would begrudgingly concede, that the claim of a very deep draft cohort in 24, was in fact a good call.

I see Moraes going in the early to mid second round and that will be outstanding value for money for such a talented kid.

A lot confuse the terms a super draft and a deep draft.

IMO a super draft can only be labeled as such 5-7 years after the event, whereas a deep draft is pretty easy to identify prior to the draft.

Make no mistake the 2024 draft cohort runs very deep, positionally probably short of ruck prospects, but pretty much every other positional group is well stacked.

Last edited:
Draper’s composure worries me in some of his videos. Seems to panic a bit, and also a bit prone to getting rag dolled (against men tbf).

Love his speed and will to chase and tackle, but I’m not as sold on him as I was earlier.

Need to listen to AFL nation on SEN 20 minutes prior to tonites games.

When discussing merretts godfather offer and what would Harley demand someone asked the question right now warner or reid if you had to choose. Then while commenting that it's interesting Warner's demand will come next year someone intimated that the nest 2 weeks will be interesting regarding Warner moving or not.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

IMO..Draper and Smillie on par and the rest a notch ahead.

Draper and Smillie have gone missing for parts of the year and Smillie has a higher ceiling
Draper can't kick... But other than that is pretty good

Smilie.. I like... bit like a Dave Mundy...
What ? He is a very neat kick for an inside mid . Drop punts it most of the time so no snaps out of clearance or just thumping it forward .
From videos it seems he seems to have trouble hitting the short 15m passes... Seems awkward for him

Willie Rioli. What a star!! Sob Sob Sob

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to listen to AFL nation on SEN 20 minutes prior to tonites games.

When discussing merretts godfather offer and what would Harley demand someone asked the question right now warner or reid if you had to choose. Then while commenting that it's interesting Warner's demand will come next year someone intimated that the nest 2 weeks will be interesting regarding Warner moving or not.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can’t help but feel that if Swans win the flag, Warner will be gettable this year. No unfinished business Dev style and he can go and chase the bag.

Can’t help but feel that if Swans win the flag, Warner will be gettable this year. No unfinished business Dev style and he can go and chase the bag.
Yeah probably looking at $1m less just next year if he stays and probably around $800k every year after.

If it’s this year and it’s Freo, will be interesting where that leaves Bolton and how that plays out.

If it is this year I am trying to split 3 with 6 and 9 - maybe 23 going back.

Give Sydney 6 and Hawks F1.

Take 9, 13 to the draft and bring in Warner.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back