List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Hayes would be a great late get or rookie listing. Remembering how good he was during state games

Claremont colts dominant in WA, Sandringham dominant in Victoria.

What is the equivalent toffs club in the SANFL? Do their juniors dominate the U18 competition?

Must be something to do with the footy programs in place at the PSA and APS schools. Significant opportunities for these privileged kids with ex AFL players/coaches in footy roles at these schools.

Barras F2 for 13 F1

Hawks F1 and 3 for 6 9 and baker.

Darling for 58.

6 9 13 23 58 59

6 Lalor/Smillie/landford. One will slide.
9 trevaglia
13 Lindsay/allen
23 Tauru/Whitlock
58/59 champion bid or a slider and champion

Draft 5 kids
Graham and baker.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty unlikely Tauru will be there at 23. Would need to use pick 9 or 13.

I'm curious as to what North's plans are this year. They need KPP's yet this draft is loaded with mids, which they already have a heap of. It feels like an awkward year for North to hold pick 2.
Hey Barrybran, I come in peace, its only the second time I've come onto an opposition board, so this is different, our plans; well we are getting a key forward in this draft, I'm pretty sure its going to be the first round or second round, but which one, that is the question we are all debating amongst ourselves. I do get the "North are gunna take another midfielder, aren't they"?

But I guess people have to remember with Tarryn Thomas gone, we have one more position vacant if we want to go there again. With Will Thursfield in charge of our recruiting, I have no doubts as the players we select in this draft as I have a huge opinion of Will and Brady's choices will be what we really need to complement our young team. Because this draft is indeed rich in potential and quite deep in talent, my preference would be to split our pick 2 {if we can} and get say something like two picks in the top 12, now I know lots of people have said and will say, not going to happen, this draft is so even, why would you do it?

I'll tell you why, to try and get one of Jagga, Sid, Sam, Finn, Josh or Harvey, and since Richmond will choose one of these players at pick one, it narrows the list by one spot. Also with the tigers potentially having quite a few picks in the top 15 this year with the picks they will get for the players that are leaving, they could end up having one hell of a draft hand come draft night, and that list could well shorten even more.

I think there are going to be many changes in what teams pick in this draft and selections as well as other questions. Will St Kilda get a pick right after their own pick when Josh Battle goes to Hawthorn? Do the tigers if they get all these picks go for the jugular and try and get picks 1 and 2? Would they just be satisfied and take their first round talent regardless?

I think this is without doubt the most intriguing draft I have ever seen + the fact nearly all supporters haven't got a clue as to who they are going to take, now they might have a small list or idea but everyone seems to be in the "dark" so to speak. Sorry for the long post and to all you guys & girls supporters, all the best at the draft and hope you get the player / players that you wish for & best of luck for next year! :)

Don't mind it. Would be super aggressive as well. Can pretty much say goodbye to Warner though.
It is something I considered and a reason I wish we could have clarity on whether Harley is gonna extend or not. If he isn't then we trade him next year for picks to replace the F1 we trade away this year.
If he's staying, then, as you say, we have to bear Warner in mind. But then there is no guarantee he's coming. Also remember that it is expected that trading 2 years picks in advance is expected to be introduced in 2025. The life of a list boss is both complicated and difficult 😃

It is something I considered and a reason I wish we could have clarity on whether Harley is gonna extend or not. If he isn't then we trade him next year for picks to replace the F1 we trade away this year.
If he's staying, then, as you say, we have to bear Warner in mind. But then there is no guarantee he's coming. Also remember that it is expected that trading 2 years picks in advance is expected to be introduced in 2025. The life of a list boss is both complicated and difficult 😃
A lot will depend on if we get the Hawks F1, where they finish and whether our 2026 1st is looking like it will be in top 5 or not.

Looking into the future if Freo get Bolton this year they would be expecting to push top 4 which puts their first around where the Hawks might finish. They also have Toby Whan as a NGA prospect and at this stage he is looking like a possible top 20 pick. Their 2026 1st should also be quite low and Lucas Robinson is a NGA prospect and rated top 5 so they will need points to get him.

There is also the Salary Cap for Freo. With Jackson, Darcy, Amiss, Bolton, Serong, Treacy all signed up and Brayshaw to resign. Can they afford the offer Warner $1.2-1.5m a year.

The 2027 draft is also the Tasmania Draft so who know where each pick will end up. I would be shocked if many teams put any value in 2 year pick trading next year.

This is all of course conjecture.

Claremont colts dominant in WA, Sandringham dominant in Victoria.

What is the equivalent toffs club in the SANFL? Do their juniors dominate the U18 competition?

Must be something to do with the footy programs in place at the PSA and APS schools. Significant opportunities for these privileged kids with ex AFL players/coaches in footy roles at these schools.

Definitely the PSA schools impact, they're very competitive and staffed by a lot of ex AFL players

have produced a number of players

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back