List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't correct anyone's maths
I don't really care where he finished in their best and fairest, just provided a comparable player from our team which is apparently different.
And I don't think I've ever said he was just an average footballer, I just don't want him at the price we'll have to pay Richmond, given his age and where our rebuild is at.
I understand the hesitation, I share some of it to an extent, I don't like the idea of getting all these young blokes in now and by the time they hit 21ish there's no senior leadership around them, especially in the midfield.

Pick 23 in this draft carries more weight than a typical draft though.

Finely poised.

Would you feel satisfied if that pick 23 was

a) a future second ?

or

b) pick 29/30 instead?

I didn't correct anyone's maths
Hmmm.
Well that's 3 or 4 years of his 30's
Is he the type of player who's still useful at that age given the way he plays and his size? I'm just not convinced he's worth pick 23 for us, at this point in time.
Not sure they are recruiting him for those years as the priority, it’s probably the 27-30yo to help us get better now and still be a leader in his later years to the then prime 23-25 year old Hewett/ Ginbey/ HR/ Sid*/ Sharp

Scott Jones is a great state level ruckman but he can't step it up further to the next level. Is too slow and nowhere near fit enough to get to contest to contest at AFL level. Doesn't get enough of the ball or free his midfielders up generally either.

Max Knobel being much more athletic whilst having the height to match him destroyed him in the H+A season.
He does look a bit limited athletically. I guess my point was that he outplayed Reidy who some are saying we should try and recruit.

I still think just whack some weight on Bailey and see how he goes. He’s can potentially play as well as any of the other candidates being thrown around.

Spend our draft picks on other areas.

I understand the hesitation, I share some of it to an extent, I don't like the idea of getting all these young blokes in now and by the time they hit 21ish there's no senior leadership around them, especially in the midfield.

Pick 23 in this draft carries more weight than a typical draft though.

Finely poised.

Would you feel better if that pick 23 was

a) a future second ?

or

b) pick 29/30 instead?
Have a feeling our future second is a good pick unfortunately. If we somehow had 29/30 without losing any of our current picks and we keep whatever first rounder we get for Barrass I wouldn't mind so much using it on Baker. I don't think it's enough for Richmond though.
I do agree that we probably need a couple of senior guys at some point, I just don't think its now and I don't think it's Baker. I think give it a couple years or so and we can trade for some senior players to plug the holes when we're back on the way up.
Bank the young talent now and get your Redden, Chick, Stenglein types down the track.

The Gold Coast fans I've seen have all said they're in 'win now' mode and appear to be all for pushing picks back into next year's draft. There is certainly an opportunity to leverage this using our F1. I don't think it would be 6 AND 12 seeing as the Suns appear to be all in on Rioli but it could be as simple as 6 + 26 for our F1. Maybe 46 as well or 20 instead of 26.

That would leave us with 3, 6, 13, 23, 26 this year but either Hawks' F1 or our F2 as our best pick next year, likely meaning no Warner (unless we did it this year with the above hand).
Remember next year Future Future trading comes in.

This will open up a lot of trades.

Petracca isn't leaving BC his camp thought it would be introduced this year and they could get it done, but the AFL scuttling it.

So in 2025 we could offer our 26 and 27 F1st for warner.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does look a bit limited athletically. I guess my point was that he outplayed Reidy who some are saying we should try and recruit.

I still think just whack some weight on Bailey and see how he goes. He’s can potentially play as well as any of the other candidates being thrown around.

Spend our draft picks on other areas.

Yet he will never play as good as Scott jones who agreed won’t get another look on a list…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My other exceptionally left field suggestion
Our F1, Darling and $800,000 for NM Pick 2.
We'll finish bottom 3 again so the F1 could be 1, 2, or 3 so effectively a pick swap and they get Darling and his first year free. I'd even give them 59 to get it done.
2, 3, 13, 23 is a great hand. Maybe then offer GC 3 for 6 & 20.
Go to the draft with 2, 6, 13, 20, 23. Use 20 on Baker.
Lots of permutations, we don't even know what the TB deal will end up? If we get 13, and an F1 or more likely, an f2 then we can use the Hawks f1/f2 in any trade offer.
Why would someone take that risk, no matter how small, for Darling and cap space they don’t need?

Plenty thought the Hawks would be bottom 3 also

A team of children wont get anywhere. Baker for the right price is a must (second rounder). The age profile fits perfectly.

Graham however offers very little.
Graham only costs you salary as he’s a free agent.

Baker costs you a pick as he’s contracted.

For a team that has very few high end picks, and should have plenty of salary cap over the next few years, Graham makes much more sense.

For those interested in the ruck merry go round, it’s being reported Soldo will move to St Kilda while Tom Campbell will join Melbourne (his fourth club) as a DFA after being delisted by the Saints earlier.
Has anyone told Soldo that Rowan "One of the best solo rucks in the game" Marshall plays for St Kilda?

If Soldo goes to St Kilda it'll be further proof for my theory that most ruckmen are only that tall because of the energy saved not growing a brain.
It's the extended length between brain and body that dumb them down

TAP BALL GOOD. RAAAA. TAP BALL. JUMP. RAAAAA

SOLDO. BIG. SOLDO. STRONG

Graham only costs you salary as he’s a free agent.

Baker costs you a pick as he’s contracted.

For a team that has very few high end picks, and should have plenty of salary cap over the next few years, Graham makes much more sense.
Graham also costs a list spot and I expect there to be some great options late in the draft

Graham also costs a list spot and I expect there to be some great options late in the draft
In the admittedly unlikely event that Rotham gets a FA offer that triggers Band 5 compensation, Graham would cost us pick 42 as we’d lose the Rotham compo by taking Graham as a FA

Yeo and Gov are too old to generate a first or second rounder. Of the rest, Barrass and Allen, maybe Waterman have value. Love to hear who "easily" generates high picks other than those I listed.
Allen, Barrass and Waterman all capable of generating first round picks. Given the post I was responding to seemed astounded that Richmond could generate three first round picks, this shows it’s not too difficult. Also Harley Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back