List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on earth would Baker sign a 1 year deal?

He could get a career ending injury next year and he's stuffed.
He could’ve got a career ending injury this year and been out of contract now. What’s your point?

No one is saying he is going to sign a one year deal, I was just replying to a question of when would he be FA eligible. In case you haven’t realised 99% of posts on this board are exploring hypotheticals, mostly ones that benefit WCE.

But in the spirit of hypotheticals, I will throw some possibilities at your question of why would he ever extend at Richmond for 1 year.

Approaching the end of trade period and WCE and Freo are focused on other deals (Warner?) and interest in Baker cools as he is seen as a lower priority. It’s a stalemate and the PSD is looming. Baker doesn’t want to dog the Tigers but a trade is not forthcoming.

Richmond come to him and say “We have lost a lot of senior players and are concerned of a leadership void, we have heaps of salary cap to spend, would you stay for another year on huge overs to help steady the ship? Then you can assess next year as a FA and you have our blessing to go wherever is best for your career.”

Then WCE would embrace him with open arms the following year as a FA, costing us nothing.

Have players ever remained at their existing club after requesting a trade? Yes.

Is it likely to happen with Baker? No, so take a couple of deep breaths.

There is still another few weeks of random fan speculation before trade period even starts so pace yourself and try not to take things so seriously.

Phil I appreciate the majority of what you post but I respectfully disagree on this one

• I don't think he was seen as a huge reach. He was expected to go first round, grew a lot across the course of the year which obvs is a sign for additional potential once he learnt to use that additional body.
  • Carlton saw enough in him to pull the trigger at 14. Eagles recruiters failed to identify it. Of course its ridiculous to expect every draft pick is nailed, but it's also fair to say we failed to identify a local talent that others successfully identified. And when viewed in the context of all the other draft picks taken over a 5-6 year period, it's yet another that we got wrong.
  • Ultimately he only went 2 places later than sheed, so the argument that 12 other clubs passed on Cripps so he can't have been that much of a standout can also be applied to Sheed - 10 other clubs passed on him for a reason too.
  • Not bagging dom, he was a good afl player until his injuries. But he's gotten nowhere near Cripps level.
Malthouse and Wiley were in charge at Carlton at the time. Wiley definitely knew Cripp's ability better.

With list spots at a premium Sheed presents us with a dilemma.

The probable trades of Darling and Barrass plus the delisting of Jones, Trew and Baker has opened up 5 spots.

Then there is just 5 remaining uncontracted players - L Edwards, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel and Culley. Only Culley has been reported to be in negotiations for a new contract but nothing official has been confirmed

With no other trades out, that leaves a maximum of 10 spots - 9 if Culley gets a new contract. I’d also prefer we keep Burgiel for another year and send him to Doha to get his hammies sorted (McGovern said on ABC Saturday another group was going but didn’t say who)

We should be taking at least 5 draft picks, preferably 6. Bring in Baker and Graham and that’s 7-8 players before the likes of Carroll, Garcia, Parfitt or Robertson are considered

So do we payout Sheed to save a Burgiel or retain Witherden who despite his flaws provided more in 2024 than Sheed. Clearly he’s been hampered by his foot injury that he had operated on recently to fix the problem

Unfortunately we probably don’t know prior to trade week if that’s worked and may not even know by the time the draft rolls around.

So I think he likely gets kept with a decision to be made during preseason as to whether he can contribute for a full season. If he can’t then retire him and find a SSP player as his replacement

The probable trades of Darling and Barrass plus the delisting of Jones, Trew and Baker has opened up 5 spots.

Then there is just 5 remaining uncontracted players - L Edwards, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel and Culley. Only Culley has been reported to be in negotiations for a new contract but nothing official has been confirmed

With no other trades out, that leaves a maximum of 10 spots - 9 if Culley gets a new contract. I’d also prefer we keep Burgiel for another year and send him to Doha to get his hammies sorted (McGovern said on ABC Saturday another group was going but didn’t say who)

We should be taking at least 5 draft picks, preferably 6. Bring in Baker and Graham and that’s 7-8 players before the likes of Carroll, Garcia, Parfitt or Robertson are considered

So do we payout Sheed to save a Burgiel or retain Witherden who despite his flaws provided more in 2024 than Sheed. Clearly he’s been hampered by his foot injury that he had operated on recently to fix the problem

Unfortunately we probably don’t know prior to trade week if that’s worked and may not even know by the time the draft rolls around.

So I think he likely gets kept with a decision to be made during preseason as to whether he can contribute for a full season. If he can’t then retire him and find a SSP player as his replacement
Is Burgiel and Witherden an 'or' rather than and 'and'? I would expect we would pay out Sheed and keep Witherden AND Burgiel until we know where we stand with Burgiel's body.

Brizkent is part of the furniture at this point. Can't imagine this board, and this thread in particular without him.

How many offseason has it been now... 3?

Still hasn't explained the academys much to us though, wouldn't mind a detailed breakdown :eyes:

Graham is a free agent and would cost us nothing except his salary, so he shouldn't be in this trade discussion. Baker rates above average or elite in most of the major statistical areas which is better than Rioli who rates average/below average yet most expect GC to cough up 6 or 12 for. Reckon Baker is worth really late first at best, certainly wouldn't give up 13 for him.
Graham would cost a list spot . In a deep draft that we should be taking 5- 6 players that is significant

Pay him out. He can't get fit enough to offer us anything next season. Too much deconditioning, it would take this preseason, play 20 games and another preseason to get him up to speed (irony). Keep burgeil. Witherden

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Burgiel and Witherden an 'or' rather than and 'and'? I would expect we would pay out Sheed and keep Witherden AND Burgiel until we know where we stand with Burgiel's body.

I don’t see us keeping both Burgiel and Witherden unless Sheed retires.

And one might be cut even if Sheed does go

Can someone tell me why the **** we picked Dom sheed over Cripps when Cripps was getting clearances for East Fremantle up there with Greg Williams?
Cripps was fat and slow
Dom sheed was the ready made inside mid who when coming into our team proved allergic to contact

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witherden? He needs to be on the next delist group .

We have far better options than slow hack kick witherden.

If we don’t land any of our mature aged trade targets or only one, then I can see Witherden being retained as mature depth

May also depend on what the new coach thinks of him

Cal reporting that Norf have offered their F1 for Dan Houston. Norf could offer Houston as much money as he wants and with Dyson Sharp looming next year Port be absolutely nuts not to take that deal.

Very brief mention of Barrass “Pick 13 plus something extra”, not worth listening to.

Cal reporting that Norf have offered their F1 for Dan Houston. Norf could offer Houston as much money as he wants and with Dyson Sharp looming next year Port be absolutely nuts not to take that deal.

Very brief mention of Barrass “Pick 13 plus something extra”, not worth listening to.
So a 27 year old contracted hbf could potentially be traded for anywhere between pick 1 to 4 in next years draft?

The cost for Barrass is now hawks two 1sts. Nothing going back.

If accurate that is just plain bonkers.

So a 27 year old contracted hbf could potentially be traded for anywhere between pick 1 to 4 in next years draft?

The cost for Barrass is now hawks two 1sts. Nothing going back.
They’ve just recruited Hardeman and McKercher, to give up F1 (likely 1-3) for another HBF is just dumb, even for Norf. They will probably look to play him on a wing. Barrass I still think will be 13 + 30 or 13 + F1 but with our F2 going back.

Witherden? He needs to be on the next delist group .

We have far better options than slow hack kick witherden.
I would like to see others given a crack there first but there is merit to holding onto him for another year as coverage in case Burgiel, Maric, Ginbey, etc. don't work out

I like the idea. but how?

We are likely to have pick 3, pick 13 and pick 23. Then a late pick for Champion. If we have to give up 23 for Baker, who you said we are bringing in. That leaves us with two picks of any sort of quality + Champion. Where are the other 2 or 3 drafted players coming from? Picks in the 70's? Good luck with that.

Cal often mentions the main pillar of the deal but glosses over the other parts. Will be interesting to see what Norf expect back or whether it is a straightforward F1 as a stand alone

I would like to see others given a crack there first but there is merit to holding onto him for another year as coverage in case Burgiel, Maric, Ginbey, etc. don't work out

The problem is that he’s just never going to be part of our next push up the ladder.

Speed of ball movement is critical in modern footy, and sadly for Witherden he lacks pace and is a slow decision maker with ball in hand.

As much as he is B22, we need to replace players of his type to improve

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back