List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting the speculation regarding Houston going to North.
Why the hell would he want to go there?

Apparently the Saints want him and they have a early pick themselves and will get a compensation pick for Battle.

Blues also want him but they also don’t want to part with this years 1st.

Both Blues and Aints would surely be a more attractive proposition to join than the Beggars.

Besides North have finally landed their big fish: Jack Darling 😉
Might've been nudged in Norf's direction by Port, who are probably hoping for a shot at Sharpe next year.

Anyone got thoughts on Boxhall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

187cm and an accumulator.

I would see him as a very late pick up, may even slide to the rookie draft.

We will get a better idea once we know how many list spots are freed up across the league, given that it’s a deeper draft than most years, you would therefore expect Ckubs to cut a bit deeper.

Going to be, IMO, some good players picked up late in this years draft.

Bo Allan helped Peel Thunder to a WAFL flag to sign off his season in style. Playing mostly through the middle and rocking the frosted tips, Allan was a big part of a relentless, swarming defensive effort from Peel, ending the game with 6 tackles to his name. He wasn't as prolific at finding the footy, especially outside the contest, which has been the one question mark hovering over his senior WAFL performances for Peel. Recruiters will be grappling with whether they believe he has the natural footy IQ needed to pair with his elite physical attributes in order to develop into a dominant midfielder in time.

Might've been nudged in Norf's direction by Port, who are probably hoping for a shot at Sharpe next year.
Sure that possible but he still needs to agree to being traded to North.

Interesting the speculation regarding Houston going to North.
Why the hell would he want to go there?

Apparently the Saints want him and they have a early pick themselves and will get a compensation pick for Battle.

Blues also want him but they also don’t want to part with this years 1st.

Both Blues and Aints would surely be a more attractive proposition to join than the Beggars.

Besides North have finally landed their big fish: Jack Darling 😉
From what I’m told the Saints interest has cooled and they are pretty keen on Travaglia if they have two picks. Blues are kidding themselves if pick 11 isn’t on the table.

Picks 3,13 and 23 should be saved for the draft and not traded for players. Our F2 should be sufficient for Baker if that trade eventuates

We then have 59 to match a Champion bid plus potentially pick 64 for Darling which is useful in a reportedly deep draft

So that’s 5

We also have pick 3 in the rookie draft which we should be looking to use as a roll of the dice - something we haven’t done as often as we perhaps should’ve in recent years

I’ll also add the club has been making noises about generating additional early picks. Now that might be pushing Hawthorn for 30 in addition to 13 for Barrass. Or if we get their F1 as part of the trade we could use that to trade into this year’s draft

Or, deep breath, we split pick 3 which is something I’d prefer we didn’t do but might be an option to generate more picks
if this cohort is really as even as suggested i can see splitting netting less than usual. our best chance at a decent return might be if a few clubs are chasing a bolter KPP imo. otherwise why bother giving up 2 cracks at the top 15/20 for 1?

Graham would cost a list spot . In a deep draft that we should be taking 5- 6 players that is significant
There are also other options we could trade in with late picks eg Dev, Carroll, Garcia that are much younger, can play the same role and have far more scope to improve while costing less in years and salary.

I would see him as a very late pick up, may even slide to the rookie draft.

We will get a better idea once we know how many list spots are freed up across the league, given that it’s a deeper draft than most years, you would therefore expect Ckubs to cut a bit deeper.

Going to be, IMO, some good players picked up late in this years draft.
There are going to be some surprises this draft in the second and third rounds that people don’t see coming.

I tend agree that he’s probably later than in the middle but he (Boxhall)is one for instance that could surprise.

Urquhart and Artemis are two others. It will largely depend on how clubs view them.

Urquhart for instance has had a hip replacement and has affected his kicking. Clubs may stay well away from him but also could say he’s got lots of room for improvement. At 190cm and a ball pig let’s roll the dice. Let’s back in that we can improve his kicking seeing he’s had to adjust late in his development. A little how Cripps had to adjust through a major growth spurt. It will be an interesting draft. 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s largely decided by how close they ended up getting to the main media phantoms

Yeah I know but it’s so silly to say the blues reached at 13 when he was rated 27 by a phantom. It’s not like he wasn’t going to get drafted and Then add to the fact Carlton’s second pick was at 39 that draft. They’d have never got him.

Take us for example, Jarrod Brander “slid” and it ****ed us up. Albeit maybe we never win the ‘18 flag if we don’t take him and get Kelly at our 2nd pick. Hindsight has Brander as a massive reach.

Clarkson seems to be getting desperate IMO, if he can't get some semblance of improvement this year then he's going to start getting deserved negative attention, he's been coasting on patience and goodwill and needs results.

Hardwick has entered a team with a good list that is a bit weak mentally, he's a good chance to turn it around there but chucking pick 6 at Rioli sounds desperate. Really it's only the media reporting on these picks but they are crazy prices for the age and quality of the 2 players concerned.
No universe is Rioli worth pick 6

Hamish Davis was excellent in the colts grand final, looks like he has scope to be a damaging midfielder that can run all day.
Looks like a Mick Barlow type to me (which isn't a bad thing), but I think his ceiling is limited. Can find the footy, but isn't a great user with ball in hand, pace isn't a strength, but can get from contest to contest pretty well.

Would happily use a later selection on him, but our priority has to be speed and ball use with our first 3 or 4 selections (maybe one on a developing tall).

Port will trade their F1 for Lukosius.
Port are starting to sound like Freo to me in that they are linked to a ton of players but surely their salary cap is getting stretched? Port are chasing Lukosius, Cumming and Perryman with only Houston and maybe Soldo going out. Is there any fringe or B22 players that might be squeezed out?

Sam Powell-Pepper is coming back from an ACL and recently signed a long extension but WCE have gone after him before. His natural position is a big bodied mid but was pushed forward in recent years after playing some SANFL.

He seems to love it at Port but if he was given a push to come home to WA he could be a genuine enforcer rotating mid/forward to protect Harley/Elijah etc. Approximately 20cm taller and 25kg bigger than Baker and arguably fills a more specific need.

Port are starting to sound like Freo to me in that they are linked to a ton of players but surely their salary cap is getting stretched? Port are chasing Lukosius, Cumming and Perryman with only Houston and maybe Soldo going out. Is there any fringe or B22 players that might be squeezed out?

Sam Powell-Pepper is coming back from an ACL and recently signed a long extension but WCE have gone after him before. His natural position is a big bodied mid but was pushed forward in recent years after playing some SANFL.

He seems to love it at Port but if he was given a push to come home to WA he could be a genuine enforcer rotating mid/forward to protect Harley/Elijah etc. Approximately 20cm taller and 25kg bigger than Baker and arguably fills a more specific need.
Like the idea, if you could get on the cheap from port, provides more than Graham id say in protection for reid.

I hate the idea of giving up F1, F2, and F3 picks. That's what we did last year with Clay Hall. it hamstrings us and means we keep cannibalising the next draft to deal with the current draft. The only trade I'd consider is Hawks F1 for a decent first this year, but even that hurts the idea of Warner.

Pick 64 might be useful in a deep draft, but banking on that to actually return a reliable AFL player is wishful thinking.
Trading future picks is fine to an extent. Future picks will be able to be traded at some point. Depending on our trade targets, we could trade 3 + F3 to the Suns for 6 + 20 which would give us 6, 13, 20 + 26 by giving up only an F3, or we could give up the Hawks' F1 for 12 to give us 3, 12, 13, 23, keeping all of our picks for next year.

The key is to be able to keep at least one very high value pick in our arsenal.

Yeah I know but it’s so silly to say the blues reached at 13 when he was rated 27 by a phantom. It’s not like he wasn’t going to get drafted and Then add to the fact Carlton’s second pick was at 39 that draft. They’d have never got him.

He was considered a reach because there were players still available at 13 that were more widely rated. Not because he wasn’t going to get drafted at all.

Even the day before the draft Twomey had him lasting to 18: https://www.afc.com.au/news/82556/aflcomaus-phantom-draft

They’ve just recruited Hardeman and McKercher, to give up F1 (likely 1-3) for another HBF is just dumb, even for Norf. They will probably look to play him on a wing. Barrass I still think will be 13 + 30 or 13 + F1 but with our F2 going back.
13 30 for me. Retain F2 for baker...take it or leave it tigers.

3 13 23 30 who's the resident numerologist here, that's an auspicious draft of 3s!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

13 30 for me. Retain F2 for baker...take it or leave it tigers.

3 13 23 30 who's the resident numerologist here, that's an auspicious draft of 3s!

Hamish went full Rain Man with #2 last night, he’d be a good start. FOS, Lindsay, Oliver and O’Farrell/Mraz* will do just fine with those picks.

Looks like a Mick Barlow type to me (which isn't a bad thing), but I think his ceiling is limited. Can find the footy, but isn't a great user with ball in hand, pace isn't a strength, but can get from contest to contest pretty well.

Would happily use a later selection on him, but our priority has to be speed and ball use with our first 3 or 4 selections (maybe one on a developing tall).

I liked what i saw of him, expected to see him play up forward where's he's already kicked a few goals at WAFL level, however after a quiet first half, Claremont threw him into the midfield and he was absolutely dominant. He ran out the game better than anyone and his disposal was really good. It will be interesting to see his 20m sprint and vertical leap testing scores at the combine.

There are going to be some surprises this draft in the second and third rounds that people don’t see coming.

I tend agree that he’s probably later than in the middle but he (Boxhall)is one for instance that could surprise.

Urquhart and Artemis are two others. It will largely depend on how clubs view them.

Urquhart for instance has had a hip replacement and has affected his kicking. Clubs may stay well away from him but also could say he’s got lots of room for improvement. At 190cm and a ball pig let’s roll the dice. Let’s back in that we can improve his kicking seeing he’s had to adjust late in his development. A little how Cripps had to adjust through a major growth spurt. It will be an interesting draft.
He didn't have a hip replacement. He had what's known as a pelvic osteotomy to correct hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is when you are born with weird angles of the acetabulum (socket) in relation to the head of femur (ball). The break the pelvis in a few spots to change the angle which allows the ball to sit more snug in the socket.

Without the surgery the hip is notoriously unstable and the risk of total degenerative osteoarthritis by 35 year of age and THEN a total hip replacement is huge.

Another preseason and his kicking will return.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back