List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Briz is correct and you are wrong.

Before being rude and telling others to stick to their lanes maybe go get a licence and learn how to drive yourself first.;):cool:
Rude? His teams in the gf and he jumps on another teams board to bark order about the draft, which has been very kind to his team whilst another teams trying to rebuild their list without the same help, spare me

The reigning premiers gonna be getting their second number one overall pick in three years. What a league. It's the type of stuff in sports you read about from the 70's or 80's where the word equalisation was never a thing and the rich kept getting richer. What a time to be alive.

And that is why any priority access needs to restricted.

If you get access to pick 1 or 2 with a father son then the same team shouldnt get academy discounts and access as well in the same draft.

Same with landing a free agent for free.

The system is broken when a team winning premierships can pick up free agents PLUS access to father sons PLUS academy kids in the same draft.

The problem is when premiers keep getting priority access and discounts.

Its not a hard concept to understand but AFL House dont care. They dont. They play lip service to equalisationn. They just want expansion clubs playing in and preferrably winning grand finals to improve TV rights $$$$$.

Last edited:
You're speculating a lot what next year's draft will look like way too early. All I've said is stand firm on the barass trade and keep the f2 and use the f3 because its value has come off a heap. I'm pretty sure that's just common sense?

Barass + f3 for 13 and Hawks f1 = good

Barass + f2 for 13 and Hawks f1 = bad

Are 3rd round picks still holding points?

I know that and Ive looked at the changes in the points system.You are incorrect in your statement. Picks up to 54 still retain points. So our 3rd rounder next season at pick 37-40 retains points to pay for any bids in the mid 20s. Re read my post.

Likely we arnt bidding on a top 10 pick with points next year. Or a first rounder. If we were then sure our 2nd would be needed to match a bid in the first round. We may need to match a bid in the early 20's.

Our 2nd likely is 21 to 23. Then that pick wil start slide big time next year as it seems every team has academy kids or father sons. So that pick say 22 will slide. Likely to pick 30 before we get a chance to actually use it.

So we need to match a bid at say 25. With the discount you need to pay with a 3rd rounder, not a high valued 2nd. The closer a bid is to the mid to late 2nd round the discount means our 3rd can cover the points needed.

Its basic math and common sense mate.

We are much better off bringing our future 2nd into this draft.
Somethind like future 2nd + 59 for 26 and 74 from Gold Coast would work

74 can be shipped off for Dev Robertson

Maybe Prior can sneak in through that same trade or PSD

Rude? His teams in the gf and he jumps on another teams board to bark order about the draft, which has been very kind to his team whilst another teams trying to rebuild their list without the same help, spare me

Yep. Two wrongs dont make a right. Especially when you were posting incorrect assuptions.

So you are wrong on two counts.

The reigning premiers gonna be getting their second number one overall pick in three years. What a league. It's the type of stuff in sports you read about from the 70's or 80's where the word equalisation was never a thing and the rich kept getting richer. What a time to be alive.
30 mill of AFL funding which is 19 mill more then us too despite having the 3rd most assets out of all the clubs in the league (only 20 mill less assets then us)

Well done Brisbane and the like but gotta understand the leg up they have gotten is simply unlike any ive seen in any sport. Imagine if NBA gave Boston pick 1 in next years draft + 30 mill to help pay off the luxury tax bill.

3rd rounder to us

Then an apologetic letter sent from the ghost of Pieman with a future 1st included for punitive damages
A picture of Dev Robertson standing next to the Premiership in its glass casing at the Lions training ground wearing a signed jersey. Since no one let him hold the cup because they didnt want fans of the club holding the cup during the celebrations

Pick 54 is the new cut off point from memory and points have been significantly reduced
Correct. 1R Picks weighted more too. Our F3 should not be traded, it will hold little value to other teams and we will actually need the points to match bids for WW and Banfield next year. Don’t think either will be bid on before our 2R.

Prior linked to the Dons.

You’d think we would try and add him in if cheap. Just gotta get a few to commit to us and cut deep. Can raise our floor pretty easy this trade period for both our squad and best 23.

Last edited:
Prior linked to the Dons.

You’d think we would try and add him in if cheap. Just gotta get a few to commit to us and cut deep. Can raise out floor pretty easy this trade period for both our squad and best 23.
Depends what our plans are for the draft and other trades. We may have other players lined up to be traded in, and we may have other players who play the same role as Prior as targets in the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what our plans are for the draft and other trades. We may have other players lined up to be traded in, and we may have other players who play the same role as Prior as targets in the draft
We dont have a plan is the reality. If we did we wouldnt have a bunch of people waiting on us to tell them what our plan is like Baker/Graham

We dont have a plan is the reality. If we did we wouldnt have a bunch of people waiting on us to tell them what our plan is like Baker/Graham
With how many players we have been linked to we clearly have a plan and looks like at least a plan b and maybe even c and d this year unlike last year.

Are players waiting for the coach? Which seems weird to me, yeah if they a genuinely 50/50 but just because you haven’t worked with a coach before doesnt mean it won’t work for you? Considering the 3 known coaches left in the running are all know to build great player coach relationship, Or just using us to drive up their price?

The white board would be interesting to see how they are ranking them and how many of these mids from other teams they want to bring in.

Last edited:
How do you know we dont have a plan? Just because we havent made it public?

We might have other players waiting to find out our new coach. Players whose 2 choices are wce or staying at their current club, theyre hardly going to publicly ask for a trade if they dont even know if they want to leave yet.
Could even just still be negotiating.

Baker for example wants WA, Wce or Freo, its not the same situation

How do you know we dont have a plan? Just because we havent made it public?

We might have other players waiting to find out our new coach. Players whose 2 choices are wce or staying at their current club, theyre hardly going to publicly ask for a trade if they dont even know if they want to leave yet.
Could even just still be negotiating.

Baker for example wants WA, Wce or Freo, its not the same situation
Because of Liam Baker and Jack Grahams public stance really....

Correct. 1R Picks weighted more too. Our F3 should not be traded, it will hold little value to other teams and we will actually need the points to match bids for WW and Banfield next year. Don’t think either will be bid on before our 2R.
Could see teams getting more aggressive with bidding around 20-40 given the depreciation in points value as well imo

The GF showed why want to draft a midfielder over a half back flanker in Toby.

The GF was won by the elite midfielders of Brisbane dominating. One of the best rebounding half backs in the game in the Lizzard had no influence. The best half back was a midfielder who transitioned back in Zorko.

If you can’t win the ball at the contest nothing else matters.

Draft Sid Draper or the best midfielder whoever it is. Yeo to half back more to extend his career.

The GF showed why want to draft a midfielder over a half back flanker in Toby.

The GF was won by the elite midfielders of Brisbane dominating. One of the best rebounding half backs in the game in the Lizzard had no influence. The best half back was a midfielder who transitioned back in Zorko.

If you can’t win the ball at the contest nothing else matters.

Draft Sid Draper or the best midfielder whoever it is. Yeo to half back more to extend his career.
Yep a genuine midfielder this time, love our mid/fwds but we have enough of them atm. Link player who can win his own ball, that’s what pick 3 should get us this year.

That along with Reid and Hewett X factor and with a couple of defensive minded mids should be elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back