List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The GF showed why want to draft a midfielder over a half back flanker in Toby.

The GF was won by the elite midfielders of Brisbane dominating. One of the best rebounding half backs in the game in the Lizzard had no influence. The best half back was a midfielder who transitioned back in Zorko.

If you can’t win the ball at the contest nothing else matters.

Draft Sid Draper or the best midfielder whoever it is. Yeo to half back more to extend his career.
To me it showed we need speed and good ball users. Lions won by chipping the ball around and with their ball skills. We can win clearances, thats not our issue, we just suck at forcing repeat stoppages and winning the ball back when the opposition just walk out with the ball.
A couple of mids who position defensively and some outside players would go a long way to fixing our side. Those mids come cheap

Yep a genuine midfielder this time, love our mid/fwds but we have enough of them atm. Link player who can win his own ball, that’s what pick 3 should get us this year.

That along with Reid and Hewett X factor and with a couple of defensive minded mids should be elite.
Reid and long are the only ones I’ve seen consistently in our team play on touch footy on the move with there hands. Brisbane were so clean yesterday in multiple chains Ashcroft and Neale created so much openings with slick hand passing. Can’t afford to be fumbling in tight these days I hope we prioritise midfielders with good movement and ability by hand

Yep a genuine midfielder this time, love our mid/fwds but we have enough of them atm. Link player who can win his own ball, that’s what pick 3 should get us this year.

That along with Reid and Hewett X factor and with a couple of defensive minded mids should be elite.
We can't keep relying on Yeo and Kelly to protect the kids. Kelly should be switched to the wing. Yeo to half back. As good as reid is, we also need to ensure we don't do what a lot of teams do to elite kids early. Jagar omera prime example of absolute guns straight out of school who suffered overuse injuries that ruined their careers. Sam Walsh not far behind.
If hewett comes good he won't be more than 50% mid time. Hall same. The new pick 3 mid, same. So how do we protect them. Chesser!!!

Graham, Garcia, Dev, baker is how. Whether campaigners like or not they fulfill a role for the next 4 years in protecting the development of elite 18yo bodies in a competition against the likes of Oliver, Cripps, Dunkley, green, rowell, butters, danger, etc.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dev is a great example of **** around and find out.

Loyalty is one thing, but staying on with the lions was one of the stupidest decisions he could've made.

We were offering him a great contract and gareenteed first team action, yet he rejected this in favour of being a fringe player.

Rips it up in the VFL but can't do shit in AFL games.

Can get someone better in the draft then Dev LoL.

Loyalty is one thing, but staying on with the lions was one of the stupidest decisions he could've made.

We were offering him a great contract and gareenteed first team action, yet he rejected this in favour of being a fringe player.

need 20something year olds though, will struggle to find better than Dev in their 20s for as cheap as he would be.
Equal 5th in the VFL BnF aint bad

Prior to yesterday's AFL grand final we got a glimpse at next years draft crop strutting their stuff on the hallowed turf of the MCG. While others performed better on the day, Dyson Sharp remains the one to watch and early favourite to be the number 1 pick in 2025 with his physical approach, poise with ball in hand and maturity beyond his years.

IMG_5740.jpeg

That’s the points table for next year. It’s unknown as yet, whether a 20% discount will remain or whether it’s reduced to 10% for some or all bids. There’s also been no mention on the amount of the minimum deduction (currently 197 points)

If we finish 16th again, our R3 pick would be worth 257 points (down from 446) - that would cover a bid at pick 30 using the current 197 point discount

What the new points table does is make it harder for clubs to match a top 10 pick with a bag of picks in the 30-60’s. So those picks are less pin a trade because they don’t carry the same points value anymore

I’m not sure where Charlie Banfield and our other NGAs are rated in next years draft but I think Banfield is the highest rated (currently) and might be a mid R2 chance (at a guess). So our F3 pick possibly covers a bid on him

If the current 197 point discount stands, any bid from 43 onwards would be covered with any pick as no points would be needed. It’s likely to be prudent for us to hold a couple of late F3 picks and maybe another F4 to ensure we have the picks for bid matching

Any picks before a Banfield bid would be useful as live picks so we’d want at least 2 before then

He may not work out, but if we are able to get him cheap (darling pick or similar) it is the right type of player to target.

Plays well in roles at vfl level, but mostly struggles in a different role at AFL level.

He would play his preferred role at AFL level for us if he came over.

Add to that his athletic profile (isn’t elite pace, but no plodder either) - we could do (and have done) much worse than adding his types to our list for at least 2 years to give them a shot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2125498

That’s the points table for next year. It’s unknown as yet, whether a 20% discount will remain or whether it’s reduced to 10% for some or all bids. There’s also been no mention on the amount of the minimum deduction (currently 197 points)

I’m not sure where Charlie Banfield and our other NGAs are rated in next years draft but I think Banfield is the highest rated (currently) and might be a mid R2 chance (at a guess). So our F3 pick possibly covers a bid on him

If the current 197 point discount stands, any bid from 43 onwards would be covered with any pick as no points would be needed. It’s likely to be prudent for us to hold a couple of late F3 picks and maybe another F4 to ensure we have the picks for bid matching

Any picks before a Banfield bid would be useful as live picks so we’d want at least 2 before then
I believe Laura said it is 10% discount as of next year. I think you’re right, mid 2R is the earliest a bid could be projected for Charlie and you make a good point with the F3s. Would be good business to get a couple of F3s tacked on to deals this year if possible, would be worthless to other teams but might help us match bids for Charlie and WW at almost no cost. Hawks F3 in Barrass deal for example.

Dev for F4 swap, Garcia for Petch, Parfitt as a DFA and getting Band 3 for Rotham to get us pick 28 for pick 24 would be my preference.

Leave the Tigers at Richmond and/or Freo.
You might be disappointed if Damien Barrett mail is correct. He reckons McQualter has done very well in the process and is likely reason why Baker and Bolton haven’t nominated a club yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might be disappointed if Damien Barrett mail is correct. He reckons McQualter has done very well in the process and is likely reason why Baker and Bolton haven’t nominated a club yet.
I’ll be very disappointed yes although apparently the chat around Longmire is correct.

One thing about last 2 GFs that is worrying for us is that its the mid sized/small forwards that do the damage at the MCG. Not many examples in recent times of a FF. Its constantly been the likes of Lohman, Stengle, Hill who have done the job on the day. Not the greatest sign when your best thing going for you is your tall FFs

View attachment 2125498

If we finish 16th again, our R3 pick would be worth 257 points (down from 446) - that would cover a bid at pick 30 using the current 197 point discount

What the new points table does is make it harder for clubs to match a top 10 pick with a bag of picks in the 30-60’s. So those picks are less pin a trade because they don’t carry the same points value anymore

What happens to points where draft picks get pushed back via compensation picks?

E.g. would the Josh Battle FA compo push pick 54 down to 55 and zero pts?

One thing about last 2 GFs that is worrying for us is that its the mid sized/small forwards that do the damage at the MCG. Not many examples in recent times of a FF. Its constantly been the likes of Lohman, Stengle, Hill who have done the job on the day. Not the greatest sign when your best thing going for you is your tall FFs
Smalls are best picked when your a contender.

Willie and Ryan are examples.

Some believe smalls are useless when not contender I don't quite subscribe. But in saying that you pick them and draft them when you are a contender. We have a fleet of small fwd coming in through nga

You're over selling this just a tad. Cameron and Hawkins fair enough, but Brisbane and Collingwood aren't exactly heavy on the quality KPF's.

What happens to points where draft picks get pushed back via compensation picks?

E.g. would the Josh Battle FA compo push pick 54 down to 55 and zero pts?

Correct

Which is somewhat unfair that the points value of a pick you hold is diminished because of something out of your control like FA compensation

For example if there’s say 3 Band 1 or 2 FAs next year and our R2 is 21, then it becomes 24 and loses 100 points in value - equivalent to pick 48

Pick 54 is the new cut off point from memory and points have been significantly reduced
Yes pick 73 this year but drops to pick 54 next year.

The only complicating factor that I could foresee is where a pick ends up on draft night versus its natural position.

Eg. If a team holds pick 45 and is relying on its points value to match a 3rd round bid on an NGA player. Player gets bid on at pick 38 but the original pick 45 has been pushed out to 55 and no longer holds value. Having said that I suppose a lot of 2nd/3rd round picks get gobbled up by matching earlier bids and in later rounds teams start to opt out so it probably balances out.

Points system will be different next year but in 2023 each round changed from 18 picks to the following.

Round 1: 29 picks (1-29)
Round 2: 15 picks (30-44)
Round 3: 8 picks (45-52)
Round 4: 7 picks (53-59)
Round 5: 5 picks (60-64)

So while round 1 blew out ridiculously, all subsequent rounds were shortened. As a result our natural picks slid as follows (prior to trades etc)

Round 2: 19 to 30 (+11)
Round 3: 37 to 45 (+8)
Round 4: 55 to 53 (-2)
Round 5: 73 to 60 (-13)

No real relevance to the initial discussion around trading picks prior to the draft but still slightly interesting as to how that might change next year.

Looking at the list of out of contract player's in 2025 and our need for defenders, I'd love to get Starcevich as a free agent and target McVee
100%. Those two should be top of the list along with a big offer for TDK (FA). Farrell (FA) and Z Reid* (OOC) would be the other two I’d target.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back