List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, hawks future 1st would probably get it done, that is if we get the pick with 13.

The only reason Baker would join us is if he knows Bitchmond are getting a good deal.

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to get fu*ked in the ass by 'mini', Clarke and Richmond.
Why would mini and Clarke hurt there futute employment to satisfy their former

Ridiculous comment

The amount of panick is laughable

Pyke has been very aggressive since day 1 and I would imagine Clarke would need his sign off at least for this post season trades

My preference would’ve been to focus solely on the draft but seeing as that isn’t happening and in all likelihood most of us will be disappointed with what we give up for Baker, we may as well go after Bolton to try and make the deal look better

Would 3,13 and 23 get us Baker, Bolton and 6?

Richmond seemingly want to pair Jagga and FOS, I think a top 3 pick greatly appeals to them more so than 9 and 16 from Fremantle.

Again, I’d prefer the draft but getting better immediately with Baker and Bolton + still adding a top end mid or Travaglia / Lindsay at 6 is somewhat appealing.

Could still trade the Hawks F1 to get back into this years draft as well assuming we net that.
I reckon you would take that deal any day. We don't have to gamble and we get a pick 6, but I doubt they would even consider that offer

I remember saying months ago how scared I was of Matt Clarke due to his Richmond connections

In his first off season we’ll hire his Richmond assistant

Give Graham 4 years

And trade a top end pick for a 27 year old utility

What was the point of nudging Barrass out the door to generate picks only to spunk them on Baker?

Set for another shocking off season, if 13 is tabled for Baker it’ll set us back big time.

Serious Bear GIF by Peacock

Its insane how there's no one in the media mentioning how west coast are in rebuild mode and that they can't afford to give up 13.
Xavier Ellis has repeatedly said we shouldn’t offer anything as we’ve only half committed to a rebuild so far.

The only reason Baker would join us is if he knows Bitchmond are getting a good deal.

If Baker is joining the Eagles, he has a vested interest in his new club being in the best position possible to succeed. Why would he demand Eagles trade fairly, instead of demanding Richmond accept unders?

This.

We are all too familiar with the following:
  • opening line in the media for trades being to the advantage of the opposing club
  • hearing nothing from the Eagles to refute that
  • letting that story become the consensus opinion of "fair terms"
  • then seeing West Coast deal to that consensus, and pretend it yielded good value.

The confidence gained from holding on to pick 1 last year was completely eroded by what the club offered on draft night for D.Curtin.

I just hope the new team in charge has a far better handle on managing trades than those previously involved.

Yeah I think we should fully get ready for the possibility of offloading 13 in a deal for him.

As you said, it's the familiar WCE pattern, and he and Mini are supposedly close - with this appointment we would have all but promised that we'd facilitate a deal for him, now it will just be about making it happen (in an uncontroversial and meek fashion).

Liam Baker quality player like trades

Jake Melksham went to Melbourne for pick 25

Brad Hill went to freo for pick 23

James Aish went to Collingwood for a pick in the mid 20s roughly

Ed Langdon + 26 went to Melbourne for 22 + F2

Jordan Clark pick 22 and f3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but it also clearly states the Baker deal depends on the Barrass deal, therefore the 13 we get for Barrass is expected to be involved in the Baker deal.

From Richmond's point of view of course.

They won't start negotiations with our next pick being 23 would they?

Takes two sides to negotiate a deal.

It sounds to me that Pick 13 hasn't officially be tabled by the Eagles, but pick 10 by the Dockers was - so naturally Cal is assuming Pick 13 will be offered by us. Still a bit to play out here - hope his assumptions are wrong.

Could Pyke and co. be plotting a faster rise than anticipated?

Benefits: Fan appeasement, finances, ensuring Harley stays
Negatives: Insufficient rebuild?

Considering how many kids we've brought in over the past couple seasons and hitting the jackpot with Harley, perhaps they're content with the youth on our list now.

Therefore, theoretically, if we went all in on potential trade targets even at the expense of decimating our presence at the upper end of the draft, our best 22 could look something like this in 2026:

FB: Hough H. Edwards Yeo
HB: Ginbey McGovern Duggan
C: Hutchinson Baker Maric
HF: Kelly Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan Waterman Bolton
R: B. Williams H. Reid Warner

INT: J. Williams, Graham, Garcia/Robertson, Long
SUB: Dewar

KPD depth: Bazzo, Jamieson, A. Reid?
Small/med def depth: Chesser, Hunt, Johnston, Cole
Ruck depth: Flynn, Barnett
Mid depth: Hall
KPF depth: A. Reid
Small/med fwd/mid depth: Brockman, Petch

Alright then, let's break down this side.
Strengths:
  • Elite midfield with Harley and Warner as our stars and support from role/versatile players such as the Richmond trio, Kelly, Hewett, Long, Chesser, Ginbey, perhaps Garcia, Roberton. The main concern is midfield depth beyond our star duo, but this isn't difficult to address and if some of the youngsters like Hall can elevate their games, we'll be well covered.
  • Terrifying forward line with A. Reid also developing nicely in the background

Weaknesses:
  • No elite rebounders from half-back is a huge concern. Farrell as a FA for elite disposal to compliment Ginbey's line-breaking ability could be a good target.
  • Hoping that Gov and Yeo can still play important roles in defence, not to mention replacing them once they do retire
  • KPD... Can Bazzo step up? Parting ways with Barrass does appear to fly in the face of this rapid rise up the ladder thinking, as he is the exact player we're lacking in this 22, especially post-Gov.
  • Ruck. Can B. Williams become a genuine option? Is Flynn actually not terrible? Can Barnett win the first tap of the day every single game?

Overall, I'm simultaneously excited and concerned with this all-in strategy. Would we be jumping the gun and hastening our rebuild to our longer-term detriment? Perhaps. Yet how often does the chance arise to bring in genuinely elite talent in Warner and Bolton to persuade Harley to hang around and help us become a contender again in the near future? And besides, the draft is always a bit of a lottery, whereas these players are established, yet young stars already. Plus, we would still be bringing in more draftees, just not at the upper end of the draft. But we can still endeavour to remedy some of our weaknesses with our remaining second and third-round selections, not to mention future trade and FA targets. It's a tough call to make, but if Pyke and co. are aware that this gambit is genuinely possible to pull off, then I wouldn't put it past them to give it a crack.

Played this season as Josh Smillie's understudy at Eastern, as a similar type of big and skillful midfielder, but appears more than ready to step up and show that he's an elite draft prospect in his own right. Racked up a ton of the footy even in the shortened quarters, and impressed with his balance, composure and fantastic movement for a guy with such a large frame.

Could Pyke and co. be plotting a faster rise than anticipated?

Benefits: Fan appeasement, finances, ensuring Harley stays
Negatives: Insufficient rebuild?

Considering how many kids we've brought in over the past couple seasons and hitting the jackpot with Harley, perhaps they're content with the youth on our list now.

Therefore, theoretically, if we went all in on potential trade targets even at the expense of decimating our presence at the upper end of the draft, our best 22 could look something like this in 2026:

FB: Hough H. Edwards Yeo
HB: Ginbey McGovern Duggan
C: Hutchinson Baker Maric
HF: Kelly Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan Waterman Bolton
R: B. Williams H. Reid Warner

INT: J. Williams, Graham, Garcia/Robertson, Long
SUB: Dewar

KPD depth: Bazzo, Jamieson, A. Reid?
Small/med def depth: Chesser, Hunt, Johnston, Cole
Ruck depth: Flynn, Barnett
Mid depth: Hall
KPF depth: A. Reid
Small/med fwd/mid depth: Brockman, Petch

Alright then, let's break down this side.
Strengths:
  • Elite midfield with Harley and Warner as our stars and support from role/versatile players such as the Richmond trio, Kelly, Hewett, Long, Chesser, Ginbey, perhaps Garcia, Roberton. The main concern is midfield depth beyond our star duo, but this isn't difficult to address and if some of the youngsters like Hall can elevate their games, we'll be well covered.
  • Terrifying forward line with A. Reid also developing nicely in the background

Weaknesses:
  • No elite rebounders from half-back is a huge concern. Farrell as a FA for elite disposal to compliment Ginbey's line-breaking ability could be a good target.
  • Hoping that Gov and Yeo can still play important roles in defence, not to mention replacing them once they do retire
  • KPD... Can Bazzo step up? Parting ways with Barrass does appear to fly in the face of this rapid rise up the ladder thinking, as he is the exact player we're lacking in this 22, especially post-Gov.
  • Ruck. Can B. Williams become a genuine option? Is Flynn actually not terrible? Can Barnett win the first tap of the day every single game?

Overall, I'm simultaneously excited and concerned with this all-in strategy. Would we be jumping the gun and hastening our rebuild to our longer-term detriment? Perhaps. Yet how often does the chance arise to bring in genuinely elite talent in Warner and Bolton to persuade Harley to hang around and help us become a contender again in the near future? And besides, the draft is always a bit of a lottery, whereas these players are established, yet young stars already. Plus, we would still be bringing in more draftees, just not at the upper end of the draft. But we can still endeavour to remedy some of our weaknesses with our remaining second and third-round selections, not to mention future trade and FA targets. It's a tough call to make, but if Pyke and co. are aware that this gambit is genuinely possible to pull off, then I wouldn't put it past them to give it a crack.
Bringing in Graham for free and, you’d think worst case, Baker for a 6 pick downgrade is going all in?…

So let me guess this right. We (potentially) trade out

Tom Barrass (29 years old)

1. Current Vice Captain
  2. Former AA squad player
  3. Best & Fairest Winner
  4. Contracted for 3 years on a club favourable deal.
  5. Premiership player

for

Liam Baker (27 years old)
  1. 2 time Premiership player
  2. 2022 AFLPA Most courageous player
  3. Uncontracted

and the cherry on top is we get
  1. a current second round pick
  2. An upgrade of a future second (bottom 6 side) into a future first rounder (top 6 side) in potentially the most compromised AFL National Draft and First Round in AFL history.

I must be mentally handicapped because i cant fathom how this is smart business for a club with 10 wins over 3 years and a pressing need for high quality youth all over the ground. For those proposing this scenario what are you thinking?

Last edited:
So let me guess this right. We (potentially) trade out

Tom Barrass (29 years old)

1. Current Vice Captain)
  2. former AA squad player
  3. Best & Fairest Winner
  4. Contracted on club favourable deal for 3 more years
  5. Premiership player

for

Liam Baker (27 years old)
  1. 2 time Premiership player
  2. 2022 AFLPA Most courageous player
  3. Uncontracted

and the cherry on top is we get
  1. a current second round pick
  2. An upgrade of a future second (bottom 6 side) into a future first rounder (top 6 side) in potentially the most compromised AFL National Draft and First Round in AFL history.

I must be mentally handicapped because i cant fathom how this is smart business for a club with 10 wins over 3 years and a pressing need for high quality youth all over the ground.

For those in favour of this what the hell are you thinking?
Playing devils advocate and bearing in mind I would much prefer not to trade pick 13

That of the ~4 players we like and believe will be available at pick 13, we expect at least 1 or 2 of them to be available at pick 21 such is the evenness of the draft?

Getting Baker this year makes no sense from a club perspective. He is a free agent next year and we could have picked him up then at 0 cost to our draft capital. These are the kind of decisions that you never see Geelong make, they would tell baker to wait or nor worry about it. I get that Baker wants to come this year, but to be successful the needs of the club should come over the wants of the individual.
Good stock pickers so far as they exist at least try to buy low and sell high.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back