List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Could Pyke and co. be plotting a faster rise than anticipated?

Benefits: Fan appeasement, finances, ensuring Harley stays
Negatives: Insufficient rebuild?

Considering how many kids we've brought in over the past couple seasons and hitting the jackpot with Harley, perhaps they're content with the youth on our list now.

Therefore, theoretically, if we went all in on potential trade targets even at the expense of decimating our presence at the upper end of the draft, our best 22 could look something like this in 2026:

FB: Hough H. Edwards Yeo
HB: Ginbey McGovern Duggan
C: Hutchinson Baker Maric
HF: Kelly Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan Waterman Bolton
R: B. Williams H. Reid Warner

INT: J. Williams, Graham, Garcia/Robertson, Long
SUB: Dewar

KPD depth: Bazzo, Jamieson, A. Reid?
Small/med def depth: Chesser, Hunt, Johnston, Cole
Ruck depth: Flynn, Barnett
Mid depth: Hall
KPF depth: A. Reid
Small/med fwd/mid depth: Brockman, Petch

Alright then, let's break down this side.
Strengths:
  • Elite midfield with Harley and Warner as our stars and support from role/versatile players such as the Richmond trio, Kelly, Hewett, Long, Chesser, Ginbey, perhaps Garcia, Roberton. The main concern is midfield depth beyond our star duo, but this isn't difficult to address and if some of the youngsters like Hall can elevate their games, we'll be well covered.
  • Terrifying forward line with A. Reid also developing nicely in the background

Weaknesses:
  • No elite rebounders from half-back is a huge concern. Farrell as a FA for elite disposal to compliment Ginbey's line-breaking ability could be a good target.
  • Hoping that Gov and Yeo can still play important roles in defence, not to mention replacing them once they do retire
  • KPD... Can Bazzo step up? Parting ways with Barrass does appear to fly in the face of this rapid rise up the ladder thinking, as he is the exact player we're lacking in this 22, especially post-Gov.
  • Ruck. Can B. Williams become a genuine option? Is Flynn actually not terrible? Can Barnett win the first tap of the day every single game?

Overall, I'm simultaneously excited and concerned with this all-in strategy. Would we be jumping the gun and hastening our rebuild to our longer-term detriment? Perhaps. Yet how often does the chance arise to bring in genuinely elite talent in Warner and Bolton to persuade Harley to hang around and help us become a contender again in the near future? And besides, the draft is always a bit of a lottery, whereas these players are established, yet young stars already. Plus, we would still be bringing in more draftees, just not at the upper end of the draft. But we can still endeavour to remedy some of our weaknesses with our remaining second and third-round selections, not to mention future trade and FA targets. It's a tough call to make, but if Pyke and co. are aware that this gambit is genuinely possible to pull off, then I wouldn't put it past them to give it a crack.

It's the right move and I think clearly what Pyke is doing. The draft is ****ed, we have lost and are going to lose more a grade talent that we could possibly redraft. Makes sense to try rise up the ladder fast while we still have some of these players around.

Bolton is a forward that can chop out in the midfield as opposed to Warner who is a mid who can play forward. Your trade proposal is effectively 3, 13 + Hawks' F1 for 6 + Bolton. If our mid of choice is available at 6 AND we could get Warner next year, it would be a coup. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge for that to happen though.
Yep I know, but im just going through what it would probably cost and how we may get it done.
If he was a pure midfielder or a KPD or something id 100% think we should go for it, but I still think we might anyway.

Topping up the list with ready made players isnt a bad strategy imo, really just depends on what the list managers think we have on the list and what pieces they think we need

I do hope if we're considering giving up 13 for Baker that it means we're confident of getting two firsts from Hawthorn AND we think next year's draft is better. I have been working on the premise that the club would rather an extra year's development but if the 2025 draft is projected to be better than this year then in a way it does make sense to trade 13 instead.

Yep I know, but im just going through what it would probably cost and how we may get it done.
If he was a pure midfielder or a KPD or something id 100% think we should go for it, but I still think we might anyway.

Topping up the list with ready made players isnt a bad strategy imo, really just depends on what the list managers think we have on the list and what pieces they think we need
I can see merit in your ideas. I'm a bit iffy on Bolton as he would be an upgrade on Ryan, Brockman and Hewett rather than giving us anything different. If one of those guys could fill a spot on the wing or even an attacking half back then perhaps it could work, though I do hope Hewett can get his foot right and become a proper midfielder.

I just hope we strike the right balance between ready made and future, and offense and defense.

Bolton is probably worth a little more than Barrass.

Barrass+F2 for 13+Hawks F1
trade 3+13 for 6+9
Trade 9+Hawks F1 for Bolton
Trade 23 for Baker

End result is: 3+23+F2+Barrass for Bolton+Baker+6

Barrass and 2x 2nd rounders for Bolton and Baker. We lose priority in choosing which mid we want but if the mids are all more or less even in that part of the draft then its no biggie going from 3 to 6.
I'd do that trade. Adds some top end talent (Bolton) some grunt (Baker) and still gives us a top youngster. Team would be better R1 next year

I can see merit in your ideas. I'm a bit iffy on Bolton as he would be an upgrade on Ryan, Brockman and Hewett rather than giving us anything different. If one of those guys could fill a spot on the wing or even an attacking half back then perhaps it could work, though I do hope Hewett can get his foot right and become a proper midfielder.

I just hope we strike the right balance between ready made and future, and offense and defense.

I am not saying we should target Bolton but I think you are seriously underselling him. He is an A Grade footballer. Not a B grader or a B+ but an A grade player. He does much more than chop out the midfield he actually spends large chunks of games through there.
He is better than Ryan, Hewett and Brockman all together.

My only concern with him would be how hungry he is as he has got 3 flags under his belt and he may well just be playing now for money and simply it's a job. Can he be reinvigorated?

I don't think we have the currency to get him anyway so I don't think it will be an issue but in my opinion he would be a serious get for our club.

I am not saying we should target Bolton but I think you are seriously underselling him. He is an A Grade footballer. Not a B grader or a B+ but an A grade player. He does much more than chop out the midfield he actually spends large chunks of games through there.
He is better than Ryan, Hewett and Brockman all together.

My only concern with him would be how hungry he is as he has got 3 flags under his belt and he may well just be playing now for money and simply it's a job. Can he be reinvigorated?

I don't think we have the currency to get him anyway so I don't think it will be an issue but in my opinion he would be a serious get for our club.
I'm not arguing about his quality but rather his value to our list. I don't think he's the kind of player we're looking for right now.

3 and 23 for Baker and Richmonds F1. Add Graham and old mate Dev, use pick 13 wisely and take another punt later on. Give McWalts 12 months to sort himself out and then next year Cripps retires and we delist Sheed, Witho etc and make some hard choices on fringe players like Cole, Edwards, B Williams. Rise up the ladder in 2025 and re-sign Harley. Hit the 2025 draft with pick 1, our first and Hawks first, at least 2 of which we probably need if we are chasing Warner.

People are now talking about using 3 to get Bolton. In the ideal world trading into next years draft might allow us to use pick 1 and, assuming his value falls, pick up Warner for something like 7 and 15.

Last edited:

Im not saying I want him haha just entertaining the idea.
Bolton definitely doesnt fill a positional need considering what we have and the NGA kids coming through.

If we were to look at Ryan/Dewar/Long/Hewett/Hutch more through the midfield or halfback then Bolton becomes a positional need all of a sudden.

Interesting to think about if nothing else :tearsofjoy:

One of the biggest considerations that the outraged are missing in the whole Barrass trade is that he wanted a considerable upgrade to his contract. Hasn’t got it so wants out.

The kind of contract that all of the outraged in here have been whinging about over the last 3-4 years. You know “credits in the bank, Jobs for the boys, gross mismanagement, How did he get a contract extension he’s cooked.”

A 5 year deal on big coin on a bloke that will play most of that contract out in his 30’s with a half cooked back. Whist trying to travel across Australia in a plane every second weekend. Think we have seen this in recent times.

It’s exactly the kind of contract that the club has finally walked away from that it has been criticised for by both fans and the media in recent times.

It looks likely we turn that contract into Baker, a future 1st and hopefully a second round pick. We are turning a contract that no one wants into two picks and a player. Harden up Kent’s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not arguing about his quality but rather his value to our list. I don't think he's the kind of player we're looking for right now.

I tend to agree with that and if a Warner will be available in 12 months I think we should keep currency for him.

Even better, trade Ryan (who is no longer Flyin’) for a pick in the 20’s and essentially straight swap for Baker. Bolton, Hewett, Harley (and dare we say Chad??) all rotating mid/fwd would be dangerous.

I hope the conversation and consideration has been put in by both us and Richmond as to whether a single teens pick, or 2x early/mid 20’s picks are more valuable in this draft.

23 for Baker - Tigers get 2 in 20’s but we are stuck with 1 in teens (plus early picks for both teams but they are not in consideration here)

13 for Baker and 21. Essentially the reverse (we get 2x 20’s, they get 1 in teens)

Hawks F1 for Baker (maybe F3 comes back. Note it is a compromised draft so likely pick 20+ live next year). Plus we up the Graham contract to get band 3. They still get 2x 20’s picks this year, plus a F1. Eagles keep a teens pick.

It may well be that we prefer 2x 20’s picks in an even draft (it may well be that we need to generate band 3 for Graham for this option also, but I think we have the right to be very firm that if we are giving 13 or Hawks F1 then there is no band 3, band 4 only). My gut feeling is this is how our recruiters are thinking, Baker (a known commodity and AFL quality) plus 2 cracks in the early 20’s is a better net result than 13 + 23.

I know we all get enamoured with a player or name pre draft, but if the assessment is that 15-35 in this draft is very even (guessing, others can say if it is or not) then 2 shots at it is better than one - even if the one is much earlier.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Norf could offer pick 164 and I think WCE would still take it. They will offer whatever highest pick they have that they don't need, not what biased WCE supporters perceive is Darling's value (the same Darling that only 2 months ago we were all cheering for being dropped to the WAFL).
We're clearing Darling's salary off our books, creating a list spot and giving a 298 game club champion a chance to extend his career.

The draft pick coming back is purely because he's contracted and needs to be traded under AFL rules.
Doesn't mean we couldn't try something innovative to try and get something better than a 3rd or 4th rounder. This is gonna be a super draft methinks so if we can get more early picks, the better of we are!

My idea is largely a pick swap.

Our Future 1st for NM's Pick 2. But wait there's more .... NM also gets, free of charge, Darling and his $800,000 salary for 2025. Throw in some steak knives if it helps. 😆

Before anyone poo poos the suggestion, consider this... NM have a stated intention to go for experience and the talk in the media is that they may look at splitting Pick 2 as they don't really need mids and could use an F1 to trade back into this draft.

The 2nd is that we will most likely finish lower than them next season and with the reduction in the DVI points and academy and F/S discounts next year, early first rounders will be like gold.

And that brings in a 2nd Option with GC who have 3 potential 1st round academy players to match for in 2025 and will need early picks.

Our F1, 13, 23 (between 4205 and 5027 pts based on a 16 - 18th place finish in 2025) for GC 6, 12, 20 and 38 (4350 pts)

3, 6, 12, 20, 38 and 59 would make me extremely happy.

I think my brain hurts after all that, I think I should lie down 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back