List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Duffield saying pick 13 has to be involved for the trade for baker as baker wants to see the tigers well compensated.

Sorry **** off. Your not even worth parting ways for 23 let alone 13.
I went to buy a bar of chocolate for $3 today. But the bar of chocolate insisted that Coles should be adequately compensated, and that a $5 note should be involved.

I'm OK with that, so long as I get a shiny $2 coin as change.

I went to buy a bar of chocolate for $3 today. But the bar of chocolate insisted that Coles should be adequately compensated, and that a $5 note should be involved.

I'm OK with that, so long as I get a shiny $2 coin as change.

But they don't have any gold coins in stock, so they'll give you the only 50c coin they have.

Duffield saying pick 13 has to be involved for the trade for baker as baker wants to see the tigers well compensated.

Sorry **** off. You’re not even worth parting ways for 23 let alone 13.
During the Gettable segment of Trade Radio. Cal also mentioned how good that range is and what stars you will be getting. Teams won’t split in this range for high picks because it’s that good…..

During the Gettable segment of Trade Radio. Cal also mentioned how good that range is and what stars you will be getting. Teams won’t split in this range for high picks because it’s that good…..

For clarification for those who didn't hear it ...
this was in reference to why everyone will be coming after GC's pick 12 (so also valid for pick 13).

Surely what Baker said about getting Richmond a deal is referring more to him not wanting Richmond to be ripped off based on Baker himself being OOC. Some PSD or f3 deal im sure he wouldnt be happy with

Agree, he is ooc and nominating us, nothing about Baker screams pick 13 or even a first round pick. His value is a second rounder.

So having elite mids doesn't equate to having an elite midfield.

Got it.

Carry on.
Sorry but Stallon is correct. Four reasonable footballers can sync up to perfection and be a well oiled machine.Doesn’t make them individual stars.
By the same token four stars can get together and not gel at all thus not a star midfield!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we land Baker, Graham and Robertson + let’s just say we add Draper with pick 3

What would your guys best 22 be for 2025? Think mine would look like this - hopefully I haven’t missed someone.

B.Hough, H.Edwards, T.Cole

R.Ginbey, J.McGovern, L.Duggan

S.Draper, D.Robertson, R.Maric

T.Kelly, O.Allen, L.Baker

L.Ryan, J.Waterman, N.Long

B.Williams, H.Reid, E.Yeo

E.Hewett, J.Hunt, J.Williams, J.Graham

I think Cripps should be phased out although I don’t expect that to happen for a while, against some teams Bazzo will be needed down back as that third tall, but I would like to see Maric trialled there. Baker can play in any area of the ground.

A.Reid, Johnston, Hall, Chesser, Dewar would all be close to this team too I’d imagine.

Think our lack of ball users and run and gun players from the back half is a major problem as are any of our wing options, we really need upgrades there. The ruck situation is gross but I think Bailey is more dynamic than Flynn at least.

Midfield depth honestly looks a lot better with guys like Robertson and Graham in over Trew / Culley / Sheed etc.

Still lack the star midfield accumulator and guys with inside / outside ability but Draper should eventually fill some of that void.

If the boys buy into what McQualter is selling, I think 7-8 wins is realistic.
Is it bad that I look at this side and think 'jeeze, Duggan is borderline best 22 here?' I'd probably prefer Hunt on the HBF to him already?

Hope Gov stays fit this year. Personally think top of priority tree needs to be KPD. if you draft them they take forever to be any good, and good ones are pretty rarely available for trade. Gov's durability outside of last year has been terrible and he is absolutely pivotal in the side above. Even if he stays fit we have what maybe two? seasons to sort out his replacement.

Id rather take a player in the draft at pick 13 tbh.

Is it bad that I look at this side and think 'jeeze, Duggan is borderline best 22 here?' I'd probably prefer Hunt on the HBF to him already?
Agree, I look at the backline and if I was to take someone out of there my first reaction is Duggan. I think its because Duggan is sort of a bit of an all rounder, hes not a runner, hes not a lock down defender, hes not tall, and hes not an elite kick.
Hes definitely in the side though, maybe a defensive wing is an ok spot for him short term, put Hunt or Maric into the backline to swap out with him.

Im going to email the club about Liam Baker......

Im serious

Baker, graham probably coming. Short term O/K but a major backward step in the long run.
Nah. We can't step backwards any further than we have. 100point losses, uncompetitive no effort useless footballers are on the way out. These 2 are a perfect stop gap that will allow the development of (at the end of this draft) about 26 players on our list under 22 yo. In 3-4 yrs when they hit 30, those 26 kids will be entering primetime.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like we're getting overs for Barrass and now paying overs for Baker. It equals out in the end. Still I would expect pick 29 given to us as well in the Baker trade at the very least.
Are we getting pick 4 for Barrass all of a sudden? (McKay level compo if say he was OOC) if not, then its unders.

Liam Duggan is a better player than Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back