List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The club is working on Warner but it's very unlikely to happen this year as Swans won't trade him and he won't request an early move. We'll be front of the queue though.

Sydney may want him to move on if his intentions are to go end of next. I think there is a real chance this happens this trade period. How invested is he in Sydney?

Key Backs in this draft
Believe there is interest from us in Charlie Nicholls SA boy for a CHB position
197cm key forward/back that has very good hands and is a very strong endurance athlete
Defence would suit him better, as he was a shocking kick for goal.
Agree very athletic and great hands.

TK could be a good move to half back like Zorko has.
Maybe not this year, but perhaps the year after.
Came into AFL later, so can probably play for years to come if we manage him right.
Don't want his shoddy disposal coming out of the back line. Keep him at half forward where he excelled at Geelong.

Came into AFL later, so can probably play for years to come if we manage him right.
I like the idea. Either half back or half forward. He can't seem to cover the ground, the repeat running between the arcs like the best mids can. We got burnt on half forward turnovers so many times over the last 2 years it's embarrassing. Yeo is the inside bull, Reid the X factor, you need a gut runner to offset those 2.

Probably the main reason I like Baker. He's come from a system of manic pressure and gut running. He's in his prime and will demonstrate the required effort to win the ball back.

Duffield heavily pushing the line that Baker wants Richmond to be adequately compensated for the move hence why we’ll have to give up pick 13.

If that’s the case the campaigner can stay at Punt Road. He’s a nice player but only at pick 23, not 13.
If he has chosen us, he is a West Coast player now and should be wanting us to get the best deal possible. If he is concerned about Richmond, stay there.

Sydney may want him to move on if his intentions are to go end of next. I think there is a real chance this happens this trade period. How invested is he in Sydney?
Lol Sydney have a gun mid on 1 million less than market value in their flag window . They are not letting him go this trade period .

Its better for us to get warner next off season.

1 . He will be cheaper pick wise being OOC
2 . We get to hit this deep draft and get 5 more kids on the list .
3. First year coach gets a season to implement his system before adding warner . Gives guys time to get it right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defended TK over the years but this year was piss poor and basically mirrored the start of Sheeds demise. For a senior he brings no leadership at all. Prefer to keep him on cheaper coin but won’t bat an eye lid if he leaves. Needs to lift big next season and show some intent not just for a kid like Harley but also for guy like Yeo.

Zorko has elite kicking

Kelly misses easy targets under zero pressure then hits a bloke lace out with a bullet . Way too inconsistent for the backline

So seems like there was a bit of tension at the Tigers BnF. President seemed to give a little back hander to the departing players.

Bolton and Baker finished 5th and for some reason have a speech. Short and sweet to say the least.

Hopefully Bakers supposed stand about what the trade should be isn’t so strong anymore IMG_6141.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirley TK wouldn't move back east, if not Freo, where to? He came back here for family and support reasons re kids. Interesting scenario, a year left, no deal on table. Hadn't thought of him being dropped. Guess we wait and see how he fits in with new coach and direction. Might get reinvented?

Shirley TK wouldn't move back east, if not Freo, where to? He came back here for family and support reasons re kids. Interesting scenario, a year left, no deal on table. Hadn't thought of him being dropped. Guess we wait and see how he fits in with new coach and direction. Might get reinvented?
Serious Leslie Nielsen GIF by filmeditor

Best thing the club could do would be to make him earn a new contract by playing well in the final year of his existing deal.

Held up his end of the bargain in the main but his 2024 was underwhelming to say the least. I know he supposedly carried a niggle but he’s always been a one way runner and that just amplified that deficiency this year I reckon.

Rotham will go down as a disappointing one, drafted as an attacking half back with run and great kick. But came into our era of maintaining possession at the back, kicking sideways, back with slow ball movement. His flair was coached out of him, he then just couldn't get it back when our game plan changed.
Also asked at times to play KPD, which really isn't suited to him at all...
With his late growth spurt, Rotham started to believe he was a member of the KPDers club and he clearly was not. His swagger reminded me of a gun slinger from a B grade Western movie

So seems like there was a bit of tension at the Tigers BnF. President seemed to give a little back hander to the departing players.

Bolton and Baker finished 5th and for some reason have a speech. Short and sweet to say the least.

Hopefully Bakers supposed stand about what the trade should be isn’t so strong anymore

Imagine Fitzpatrick doing same thing. Would he be aware that wce players want to leave?

Perhaps he would get a phone call mid through…

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back