List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was in charge Garcia would have a pen in his hand ready to sign a 3 year contract with us next week.

But it would probably also mean Petch as captain and Adamson replacing Simpson, so swings and roundabouts.

No real problem with the Baker speech. After the president speech pretty much targeted him imo.

Wasn’t great but play on, that and hopefully along with McQualter leaving the Tigers on bad terms we now draw a line in the sand and it’s pick 23 and move on
They are unhelpful types of good-bye speeches, but generally the most entertaining. We all move on.

Obviously not a big surprise, but Travaglia confirmed he has met with West Coast.
I confirmed this last week.

Also incidentally here's some footage of Tobie training for the Combine last night:

The kid absolutely flies on the track and would quickly lap the other players at training.
They run the combine 2km on Friday at about 4pm AEST. I predict Tobie will run a 5 min 50 second 2km assuming that there are no hiccups for him on the day. He was a little bit circumspect about his chances to break 6 minutes but he almost ran 6 minutes in his final trial over the weekend and I think he will produce when it counts.

Also incidentally here's some footage of Tobie training for the Combine last night:

The kid absolutely flies on the track and would quickly lap the other players at training.
They run the combine 2km on Friday at about 4pm AEST. I predict Tobie will run a 5 min 50 second 2km assuming that there are no hiccups for him on the day. He was a little bit circumspect about his chances to break 6 minutes but he almost ran 6 minutes in his final trial over the weekend and I think he will produce when it counts.

I think he was hoping for that but mentioned it might be wet when done at the combine which might put paid to a sub-6 min.

Not sure what people's angst is over trading baker in. Sure he's not a first round pick player but if we can get him for a 2nd rounder or third he is a good player and in the age bracket we need.
If you look at his highlights from 2023 there is enough to suggest he is going to help us get better.
there would be no issue if we brought him in for a 3rd round pick (if we had one) or our second with richmonds 3rd or even 4th coming back.

But everyone keeps banging on about giving up pick 13 for him which is completely absurd.

Im just hoping don pyke sticks to his word about not giving up too much in draft capital.

No real problem with the Baker speech. After the president speech pretty much targeted him imo.

Wasn’t great but play on, that and hopefully along with McQualter leaving the Tigers on bad terms we now draw a line in the sand and it’s pick 23 and move on
IMO, the president was targeting the contracted players like Rioli and Bolton, not Baker and Graham.

On Tradies they noted that McQualter was pissed at Richmond when he left as he found out via the media that he didn't get the job.

And they floated the idea of him taking a hardline and walking Baker through the pre-season draft, ingratiating himself with the Eagles faithful.

100-1 that's not going to happen, but if it did, I'd be ingratiated as ****
so we use pick 3 on baker? that doesn't seem better than what is happening now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PSD is a draft for the rejects who didnt get a contract basically, picks there dont mean a whole lot
I hear about the xyz is training with team abc, but didn't know that was a draft, thought it was just delisted guys, unless this is another adiffernt thing.

I hear about the xyz is training with team abc, but didn't know that was a draft, thought it was just delisted guys, unless this is another adiffernt thing.
Its a draft mostly for uncontracted players held after the normal draft. Teams can sign SSP(top up) players in the new year too as a final chance for guys who dont get picked up in the PSD

Gov would have him covered.

I think the biggest angst is that we are know for giving overs & accepting unders in player trades over last 5 or so years.

And this draft is one where picks are more valuable than other years and all signs seem to be pointing more of the same.

Granted people might be jumping at shadows, but the possibility of paying overs for Baker isn't good.
That's true yeah

Anyone else hearing Isiah Winder has been asked to do testing by a few AFL clubs.

Watch the Cats turn him into a Tim Kelly clone.........

It’s not like he didn’t hang around on our list long enough, either injured, not showing much in the WAFL or being an off field issue.

Good luck to him, but he clearly wasn’t ready to be an AFL player at WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back