List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

Take note Gov.

Multiple Richmond players hospitalised with illness after end-of-season footy trip​

“But to their credit, they came back a little bit lighter. Nick Vlastuin was adamant he came back four or five kilos lighter, which is unusual when you come back from a footy trip, so well done.”

I confirmed this last week.

Also incidentally here's some footage of Tobie training for the Combine last night:

The kid absolutely flies on the track and would quickly lap the other players at training.
They run the combine 2km on Friday at about 4pm AEST. I predict Tobie will run a 5 min 50 second 2km assuming that there are no hiccups for him on the day. He was a little bit circumspect about his chances to break 6 minutes but he almost ran 6 minutes in his final trial over the weekend and I think he will produce when it counts.

I said in an earlier post that i doubt he gets past the Saints, Ross loves players that can get up and down the ground. Pick 8 if they get Battle compensation would be my prediction.

Have you ever managed a large group? I sense you might be living with leadership trends of the 80’s. The Kerry Packer and John Elliott BSD School of Negotiations

Your love of the Port approach is interesting. On an outcomes based approach, the ranting and raving “I’ve got a big d1ck” approach to negotiations does not seem to have worked for Port. There is a consistent feeling that Ken has outperformed with a moderate list. How did that work for them with Ratugalea and Soldo? Who screwed who in those cases?

You do realise that there was a strong rift in our team about not wanting Bong Boy at the club? What would there to have been gained in re-drafting Rioli?

Port somewhat resemble Freo and Feathers in his Cap who also liked to play his negotiations tactics out in the media. How well has that worked for Freo in retaining players? That worked out well with Cerra, Hill, Henry, Acres, Neale, to name a few.

No thanks to the Port and Freo approach, I will avoid the 2 MUA aligned clubs

Are you serious? Have you seen the state of our list. Port are killing it compared to us and will do very well for long time with Butters Hornet and Rozee.

I just want us to be firm and hard in negotiations for players. Use some leverage in the PSD or media when you can at times. This has nothing to do with leadership of our playing group or thinking we need to be big dicks.

Take note Gov.

Multiple Richmond players hospitalised with illness after end-of-season footy trip​

“But to their credit, they came back a little bit lighter. Nick Vlastuin was adamant he came back four or five kilos lighter, which is unusual when you come back from a footy trip, so well done.”
You’d be surprised how much you can lose on a week long bender

Richmond outbottomed us though, there's that minor detail.

I can appreciate that in your excitement to reply you didn't bother reading past the first sentence, but I did express why I don't think it matters that they out-bottomed us.

Take note Gov.

Richmond. Had. Gastro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all over the young talent coming through like a few of you guys, and possibly girls, on here.
Mainly pick up from what is discussed and vids posted.
But is this years top end better or similar to next years?
If there is not much between it and we really want to make a play for Warner do we somewhat take a bit of a pass on this draft and go top end next year?
3 + F2 for Warner + F2
or
3 + 23 + F2 for Warner + F1

I know there is still a bit of dealing to be done for Baker so not sure what draft capital that may suck up but it would be pretty exciting to start next year with Warner and a little lesser degree Baker and a little lesser degree again Graham.
Along with Reid in his 2nd year plus hopefully a fit and ready Hewett and another pre-season with an "upgraded" game plan.

I'm not the best at knowing exact values of draft capital so don't come at me too hard if the above is out of whack 😁

Are you serious? Have you seen the state of our list. Port are killing it compared to us and will do very well for long time with Butters Hornet and Rozee.

I just want us to be firm and hard in negotiations for players. Use some leverage in the PSD or media when you can at times. This has nothing to do with leadership of our playing group or thinking we need to be big dicks.
Dunno, Butters and Rozee shrink in finals, JHF does too to a lesser extent. So much crap to get rid of too. Think a McQualter (mini) rebuild is needed tbh.

I can appreciate that in your excitement to reply you didn't bother reading past the first sentence, but I did express why I don't think it matters that they out-bottomed us.
Oh I read it, but I disagree with the reasoning below it. It isn't the threat it would otherwise be. They retain the option and even the hypothetical ability to take him. Fundamentally they have the first pick. We don't.
It isn't the gotcha you think it is, fine sir.

I'm all for telling Rich-Mond to stick it though. I personally would love us to say take him back, we dare you, because of the amount of potential riches in this draft. If we do play this card, I'll buy you a six pack of your choice because I like the idea in practice, not theory.

Baker's move to West Coast is further down the line given his out-of-contract status. Fremantle had been prepared to trade pick 10 for Baker if he chose them, but after a long decision he this week officially nominated the Eagles as his new club.

Hawthorn is prepared to offer pick 13 in this year's draft for wantaway Eagle Tom Barrass, with West Coast expected to target that selection as well as a future first-round pick in exchange for Barrass and a second-round pick. A version of pick purchasing – where the Eagles could pay some of Barrass' remaining salary to generate a better picks outcome – is also a possibility, however the Hawks are considered unlikely to want to part with back-to-back first-round selections.

That pick 13 would be involved in a deal for Baker, who is a year off being a free agent. Baker and Bolton finished equal fifth in Richmond's best and fairest on Wednesday night.

Richmond's unrestricted free agent Jack Grahamtoured West Coast's facilities on Wednesday in another step to him joining the Eagles. Graham has four-year offers from both clubs but, although yet to confirm his decision, is expected to join the Eagles following McQualter's appointment on Monday. Callum Twomey, Riley Beveridge

It’s not like he didn’t hang around on our list long enough, either injured, not showing much in the WAFL or being an off field issue.

Good luck to him, but he clearly wasn’t ready to be an AFL player at WCE.

When not injured his form was pretty good. Better than players we retained through 2024.

Can anyone unlock this pleeeeease.

Lot of speculation, not much of substance

Richmond president John O’Rourke has handed some departing premiership stars a backhander in a not-so-subtle speech delivered at the Tigers’ best and fairest count on Tuesday night.
O’Rourke acknowledged it had been an “extremely difficult and disappointing season”, but praised the loyalty of senior Tigers players who were sticking around to help with “guiding our young players through this next phase of growth”.

“Just by way of example … how fortunate are we to have players of the character of a Nathan Broad?” O’Rourke asked during his speech.

“He is a player who was drafted into an era of, well, immediate club success as a mature-age player. I know through this year, I’m sure he could have explored options to see out his career in his home state, or perhaps look for more lucrative options with other clubs, but he chose to extend for a further two years.”

Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli have both requested to leave Punt Rd. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images.

Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli have both requested to leave Punt Rd. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images.
O’Rouke went on to read a quote from Broad when he signed on in early September, in which the defender said: “No-one really wanted me as a 22-year-old, but Richmond did. So, I’m fully indebted to this club and I’m looking to get us back up the ladder, which is exciting.”

The president finished the quote by stating of Broad: “What a Richmond man”.

The speech was seemingly a swipe at other senior players who are set to depart the club in this year’s free agency and trade periods.

The Tigers are preparing to lose contracted pair Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton, along with out-of-contract duo Liam Baker and Jack Graham.

HAS-JOHN-O-ROURKE-GONE-TOO-FAR_3inlI_ovL.jpg

Are John O'Rourke's comments about departing stars fair?​

Yes - they're fair game
No - they've served the club well
Cast your vote

Bolton and Baker are both West Australians – like Broad – who are eyeing moves back to their home state.

O’Rourke also backed coach Adem Yze after the first-year coach managed just two wins in an injury-hit first season at the helm.

“I do want to make it very clear tonight that our board is 100 per cent behind Adem and our football department leaders Blair Hartley and Tim Livingstone,” O’Rourke said.

Richmond coach Adam Yze with president John O'Rourke. Photo by Michael Klein.

Richmond coach Adam Yze with president John O'Rourke. Photo by Michael Klein.
“They will be given the clear air now to own and put their stamp on the next generation of the Richmond Football Club. I’m sure, in fact I know, our fans are really sharing in the excitement of the players that have emerged this year, by the players that will return from long-term injury in 2025 and the multiple opportunities that we may have to draft in new talent later this year.”

It was also revealed at the best and fairest that multiple Richmond players were hospitalised after an end-of-season trip to Thailand last week.

The trip was cut short after many members of the group suffered serious cases of food poisoning.

“A few of the boys have been in hospital and things like that, so it’s been not only a tough season, but a tough off-season so far,” Yze said.

“But, to their credit, they’ve come back, I think, a little bit lighter. Nick Vlastuin was adamant he’d come back four or five kilos lighter, which is unusual when you come back from a footy trip, so well done.”

Richmond to welcome wantaway stars to B&F

Richmond’s departing stars Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Liam Baker will front up at the club’s Jack Dyer Medal on Tuesday night as they seek to leave the club on good terms.

In a week when St Kilda told departing free agent Josh Battle not to come to the club’s best and fairest night, the Tigers are keen for their stars to front up.

Rioli is set to find his way to Gold Coast and he could end up winning the Jack Dyer Medal on Tuesday night.

He and Nick Vlastuin both had excellent seasons but Rioli was extremely consistent and had 536 disposals this year.

Daniel Rioli could win the Jack Dyer Medal before joining Gold Coast. Picture: Michael Klein

Daniel Rioli could win the Jack Dyer Medal before joining Gold Coast. Picture: Michael Klein
St Kilda told Josh Battle not to attend its best and fairest. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

St Kilda told Josh Battle not to attend its best and fairest. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Baker is a club vice-captain and goes with the blessing of coach Adem Yze, who has been impeccable in his handling of Baker’s contract dramas.

He repeatedly told Baker he wanted to give his all as a leader and clubman and would accept his decision either way as an uncontracted player.

Bolton is contracted and the club has told him it would take an “extraordinary” deal to get to the Dockers.

But Fremantle is prepared to hand over one of nine or 10 and the club’s No. 16 draft pick to get him to the Dockers so the Tigers will receive fair value.

He has told the club he wants to go home if he can get a trade done so he can be closer to family and friends given he and his partner are expecting their second child.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back