List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eagles out: 13
Eagles in: Baker, 27

Dockers in: Bolton, 39
Dockers out: 10,16,27

Richmond in: 10,13,16
Richmond out: Baker, Bolton, 39

As realistic as I could come up with and I don’t get where the trade makes it Barrass for Baker we’ll be getting more than just 13 for Barrass hopefully a future first.

Gives us3,23,27,59 in this years draft and the ability to trade hawks future first on draft night if there’s something we like in the later stages of the first round

Last edited:
Eagles out:
Eagles in: Baker, [emoji[emoji6]]

Dockers in: Bolton, [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]
Dockers out: [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]], [emoji6], [emoji[emoji6]]

Richmond in: [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]], , [emoji6],
Richmond out: Baker, Bolton, [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]

As realistic as I could come up with and I don’t get where the trade makes it Barrass for Baker we’ll be getting more than just for Barrass hopefully a future first.

Gives us ,,[emoji[emoji6]],[emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] in this years draft and the ability to trade hawks future first on draft night if there’s something we like in the later stages of the first round

On iPhone using ][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]BigFooty.com mobile app
reading this gave me aids, i think i support freo now

Surely the AFL can secret sauce the Rotham compo so we end up with an end of first rounder for Baker.

Helps both us and Richmond, without the need for PP outcry from the media :cool:

No they can’t because the clubs then will know what the figure is for compo. And who decides when they should fudge it and when not? Before you know it, administration is throwing welfare payments in every trade.

No they can’t because the clubs then will know what the figure is for compo. And who decides when they should fudge it and when not? Before you know it, administration is throwing welfare payments in every trade.
I'm joking - but realtalk, the AFL are already fudging it to suit their purposes

][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="WCEswift" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
reading this gave me aids, i think i support freo now

Haha don’t know what happened with the numbers there it’s edited now

Eagles out: 13
Eagles in: Baker, 27

Dockers in: Bolton, 39
Dockers out: 10,16,27

Richmond in: 10,13,16
Richmond out: Baker, Bolton, 39

As realistic as I could come up with and I don’t get where the trade makes it Barrass for Baker we’ll be getting more than just 13 for Barrass hopefully a future first.

Gives us3,23,27,59 in this years draft and the ability to trade hawks future first on draft night if there’s something we like in the later stages of the first round
Thats assuming we get Hawks F1... It is seeming that is more and more unlikely .

Thats assuming we get Hawks F1... It is seeming that is more and more unlikely .
Tell them to bash it, tell Barrass, unlucky. He signed three, we need to stick fat. If not we trade next year, give him a pay rise, McGovern isn't lasting past theee years anyway. Darling and Gaff are gone, pay the man a good rate! He is top 5 back man, without a doubt. Liam baker isn't top 20 in the the midfield.

Losing Tommy is a big step back IMHO.

All we need is an engine room in the middle, accountability and we are closer to contending for the 8 than many believe.

Bakers true value at most is a pick 18, his year was shit house, and he's a utility player at his peak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a gut feeling smillie could be an option for us, is a 2 person tackle, so is harley and yeo. Smillie would leave harley 1 on 1 on the outside, add in someone zippy like TT and its a nightmare match up

By no means claiming to have consistent mail or sources, but I do know someone in the Smillie camp and they have said we’ve been big on him and have interviewed him a few times.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we go Smillie or Langford and get Yeo’s long term replacement sorted.

Although we need inside / outside players more than just purely inside guys, I could see the logic behind picking a contested bull, releases Harley and we get more physicality in the middle.

There are usually guys like Draper in most drafts, a lot of drafts don’t have specimens like Smillie or even Langford.

Love it how Cats could get Bailey Smith for pick 15, but we may pay 13 for Baker.
Smith is a million times more valuable than Baker

We're reached a point where the media have absolutely lost the plot on just how far we should bend over this trade period, and thankfully it looks like we are starting to see some pushback from the few eagles in the Media. First Schoey today and then Barra running with "Barrass might as well stay at this point" and "in what universe is a 27 year old Liam Baker a better option than taking pick 13 in this draft?" We need to push back far harder now. Don saying a few things today as well.

Our default position should just return to "We're working on long term deals for Jack Graham and Tom Barrass, and looking forward to regenerating our list via the draft. After 3 years of historically poor performances, for two years in a row our second round pick has fallen around pick 30 and this is unacceptable. We are asking the AFL for draft assistance commensurate with the advantages given to North Melbourne in previous years."

The entire football media industry has completely lost all respect and it's actually a problem. We've returned to the big boys trade table for the first time in a decade and it seems the expectations from the industry are that we're now the new Gold Coast, a club going nowhere that should be losing key players for unders and paying double the market rate for role players and be grateful because your shit.

Time to walk. These deals all stink and if the AFL expect us to help Hawthorn win a premiership and Richmond fastback their rebuild before Tassy its up to them to put their hands in their pockets like they do with other feeder clubs, and give us the currency to facilitate.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back