List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints compo is ridiculous but creates opportunity.
3+ 23 (24 now) for 7 +8
Keep 14 from hawks
Trade hawks f1 for baker
Hit the draft with 7,8 and 14
Could be Draper, TT and Lindsay

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

3+ 23 (24 now) for 7 +8
Keep 14 from hawks
Trade hawks f1 for baker

The Saints aren't giving up 7 + 8 for 3 + 24

Battle is a good player, but from what I've seen doesn't really take responsibility for key opposition talls and prefers to float around as a poor man's Sicily.

Pick 8 is a complete rort. Will their CEO be consistent and call this out, or only when it favours other clubs?

Spot on. People don't like to hear it but he is worth more in a trade than he's been to us in 7 years.

If we got Bolton and pick 6 I'd sign in an instant.

Thank God your not making decisions at wc then, cause if Richmond offered that, you would be stupid not to take it.
Allen is not as good as you think, he's only kicked 139 goals in 7 years and he's always injured.
He's got great draft value now so trade him now before he breaks down again

I just don’t rate Bolton that highly for a team in our situation.

Equal 5th In Richmond’s fairest and best in a wooden spoon year. If he’s not being fed the ball by quality inside mids then he’s not that great

3+ 23 (24 now) for 7 +8
Keep 14 from hawks
Trade hawks f1 for baker

**** that idea.

Much rather we keep that pick for either a Warner raid next year ,or trading a significantly better player than Baker next year.

The Saints aren't giving up 7 + 8 for 3 + 24

Chuck a future second in as well then. Something along those lines to manufacture us having those picks would be great, really can’t afford to have another draft like last years.

3+ 23 (24 now) for 7 +8
Keep 14 from hawks
Trade hawks f1 for baker

F1 for Baker? Hell no. Absolutely best case scenario for us is that’s pick 18 which is overpaying in itself. Competition was so even this year they could easily pull a Collingwood and just miss finals

F2 or he can stay at Richmond or walk to the PSD and we take our chances there

Barrass is a far better player and better KPD than Battle. Also contracted for 3 years as opposed to Battle who is a free agent.

Yet the Saints get the pick we want whilst we wonder if we will get pick 14 which blows out to pick 16 and some scraps….

Sounds fair.

Could we restructure TBs contract. Give him a one year deal on big bucks to hang around so he then exercises free agency next year? Or is that against the VFL rules?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone take this league seriously anymore?

This pictorial sort of sums up well those running the league.

download-6.jpg

And my personal favourite, the star of the shit show.
The number 1 attraction.

1718620252673.png

The only thing that they have done well in the rebranding of the logo.

You_Doodle_2023-07-30T23_25_24Z.jpg

Then who is realistically going to be an option for splitting with if this is all true?

The team I mentioned who is chasing either pick 2 or 3.

And who we are tradi g Baker from and will likely hold picks 6 Rioli and 9 Bolton trades.

There is only one club who will potentially hold the picks AND has a desire to trade for pick 3.

Now we have pick 14 ... becoming 15 or 16 on draft night - does it fit in the 2nd band of draft picks or slide into thd 3rd band?
Next band IMO depending how you rate Bo Allan. Unless Hotton or Whitlock get taken (probably to Richmond) then 14 is likely to get Bo, just missing Berry and Lindsay. 14 to 22 and Baker would look less shit now. But still shit. We should sell it off like GCS.

Would barass be a unrestricted free agent if he was out of contract now? If so what a complete Sheet Show. With out being totally selfish he could of told us he wanted to leave and we could of got pick 4 as compo.

Instead we sign him for 4 more years, giving him security, he ops out anyway, forces a trade and we get less.

Surely the AFL can see the problem, I still hpe they take steps to fix something such as priority picks etc

Now we have pick 14 ... becoming 15 or 16 on draft night - does it fit in the 2nd band of draft picks or slide into thd 3rd band?
I've been working on the assumption that pick 14 would be in the third band of players based on discussions on this board. The Battle compensation doesn't change that. The only other move that could affect things is Gold Coast trading what is now pick 13.

WC have been all over the shop past 3-4 years so not surprising we keep getting battered .
Drafted some good players last draft .
Reid ×2 , Hall , Johnston ...just need to add a few more and Baker , maybe Graham .
This isn't a quick fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back