List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats your point? Buddy was pick 19, Lachie Neil was in the 50s, Tom Barrass was 43 and the list goes on... .... every year we wait the value drops, this is a deep draft and we need to secure as many picks as we possibly can inside the top 20. There is no real value in keeping him, in fact it is utter madness not to trade him now, especially with Tassie coming in a couple of years which will further drain the draft pool available
My point is that winning games of football and rising up the ladder is much more probable with Barrass in the side next year... The backline will be reliable... And if we can get a couple of wings and ruck we'll do well

A speculative teens pick may not even come good in lets say 3 years...

The argument would be swayed if the pick was between 5 and 8... As you are much more likely to get an awesome player which can be developed quickly.

We hold the ace card(Barrass)... F..ing play hardball like the likes of Freo and Geelong... Keep the ace until we get a great deal

Which would value Baker at pick 44 so they'd be better off accepting our 2nd rounder. Would you accept Pick 44 if you were Richmond. I can't see anything coming back our way.
The clubs would look at players rather than the bullshit DVI. To me it’s essentially someone like Xavier Lindsay for Liam Baker and Cooper Hynes.

I’d take Lindsay every day of the week.

Let’s see if it’s sustainable but I can only see one top 10 pick in Hawks BnF. Who was later traded for a F3 with a F4 coming back.

1 MSD pick up, a lot of players picked 30+, 4 smart trades and 1 free agency signing.

Get the picks right, get the coaches right, smart trading and the players to bye in and a lot can happen.

Not many of this years top 10 BnFs have a lot of very high draft picks.

My point is that winning games of football and rising up the ladder is much more probable with Barrass in the side next year... The backline will be reliable... And if we can get a couple of wings and ruck we'll do well

A speculative teens pick may not even come good in lets say 3 years...

The argument would be swayed if the pick was between 5 and 8... As you are much more likely to get an awesome player which can be developed quickly.

We hold the ace card(Barrass)... F..ing play hardball like the likes of Freo and Geelong... Keep the ace until we get a great deal
We are not rising up the ladder anytime soon with that back line ..... by all means play hardball and get the best possible deal , but get a deal done and get it done now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not here to argue about if Baker worth pick 13 or not.
Whoever prepared this "Mega" trade has to answer the question.
If WCE received for TB from Hawthorn pick 13 + pick 30 and Richmond is willing to take pick 13 for Baker, then why we don't deal with Richmond directly and get Baker and pick 30 (instead of Baker + F4 Port from this Mega trade)? In short, why we have to involve Carlton and Port Adelaide.
Note that I don't think Baker worth a pick 13 anyway.
Ha yes good observation.
The mechanism in that trade would be....
Eagles swap TB for 13+30 from Hawks
Eagles give 13 for Baker from Richmond
Eagles give pick 30 to Port for a future 4th

Idiots

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back