List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
If WC are in to Draper then trading back makes sense. I don't think he's in the top 8 mix tbh. The people who rate him the most highly are seemingly WC and the West Coast bigfooty folk

Has WC said that?

Its why IMO splitting 3 isnt as big a deal as many are making out.

Will still be a very nive mid at pick 6 or 7.

Nic Martin got injured whilst training with us and humphries wasn’t playing footy seriously when he was eligible to be drafted with us this revisionist history needs to stop
Like Humphries and Martin, Liam Baker and Tim Kelly were both overlooked in several drafts whilst playing in the WAFL. The Eagles list management team could have selected any of them on more than one occasion as a rookie with little risk, but they didn’t have the imagination to see what these players could become. That is what they get paid for and these players were all right under their noses week after week so whatever spin you want to put on it, it was poor recruiting

No they are looking to turn R1 and F1 into F1 and R1 + R1. Why not just split pick 2 this year and leave their F1 alone. If I was them I’d ask GWS to go 2 and 25 for 15,16,21. For a team with player retention and destination issues I’d take the Whitlock twins and then best available with 21.

That makes no sense unless they are targeting Suns pick 6 with their F 1st. Or our pick 3.which they wont get for a future pick 3.

Where did it say what they were chasing?

So Norf looking to trade back this year’s 1st rounder to get a F1 but are also looking to trade their F1 to get a 1st rounder this year…

Norf gunna Norf I guess.

I’ll do my best to break it down as simple as possible, so you can understand.

Port don’t have pick. Port want pick. North get them pick. Now north don’t have pick. North want pick. North trade pick to get pick. Now north have pick.

Now I’ll explain it in a bit more detail for everyone else.

Port have said they only will accept a high first rounder this year, because they currently don’t have a first round selection in the 2024 draft. North therefore have to trade their future first for a top 10 selection in this draft, to then trade onto Port for Houston. Now north don’t have a first round selection in the 2025 draft, so they would ideally like to be able to split pick 2 for a top 10 selection in this draft and a future first round selection in the 2025 draft, so they could get back into the first round of next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good day for some testing
47bc54aaeef50ef491c814997aa6fc61.jpg
1430b51946b2127ededc29d99ead0dff.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You’re actually a moron if you can’t figure this out.

Port don’t have pick. Port want pick. North get them pick. Now north don’t have pick. North want pick. North trade pick to get pick. Now north have pick.

Port have said they only will accept a high first rounder this year, because they currently don’t have a first round selection in the 2024 draft. North therefore have to trade their future first for a top 10 selection in this draft, to then trade onto Port for Houston. Now north don’t have a first round selection in the 2025 draft, so they would ideally like to be able to split pick 2 for a top 10 selection in this draft and a future first round selection in the 2025 draft, so they could get back into the first round of next year.

Why the hell would port want a pick between 6-10 this year over pick 1 next year. Seems like Port are the clueless lot😉

Or they could just split pick 2 for two 1R selections this year and keep their F1. Only a moron wouldn’t understand that, never mind the ignorance of not realising that Collingwood are likely to get pick 13 and send it to Port Adelaide for Houston. Come back when you don’t look, sound and behave like a fool.

Or they split pick 2 plus x for 7 and 8. Or thay trade 2 to Richmond for 6 plus 12.

Pick 6 or 7 gets Houston. Retain a second 2024 1st.

Now backing up to the first comment "your a moron".

Firstly, coming onto a board as a debutaunt and calling someone a moron. Not clever.

And secondly, YOU are coming across as the moron because North DONT need to trade a future 1st to land Houston. They can split pick 2 and land him and still retain a 1st round selection for a tall this draft.

Bringing a future 1st in 2024 sounds like they want Houston PLUS they want to invest in the top end of this draft.

If we trade down our pick 3 for pick 6 I think we'll be trading ourselves out of that top tier of talent.

Reading phantom drafts, top tier appears to be Lalor, Jagga, FOS & Draper. After that its a mix, with Langford, Reid & Smilie appearing at different stages of draft orders, suggesting there isn't the same consensus on their quality as there is with the top 4.

Do we really want to drop from 3 to 6+?
Langford has arguably had a better season than all of them

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we trade down our pick 3 for pick 6 I think we'll be trading ourselves out of that top tier of talent.

Reading phantom drafts, top tier appears to be Lalor, Jagga, FOS & Draper. After that its a mix, with Langford, Reid & Smilie appearing at different stages of draft orders, suggesting there isn't the same consensus on their quality as there is with the top 4.

There would have to be a step down in Quality to some extent or no one would trade 6+ for 3 .

The harvey langford that collected 12 possesion in his debut against men in vfl?

An argument can be made against his peers in junior and Head to head. But against men it's not the case
You're basing his whole season from his debut against men?
I have no idea on where he played in that game? Was he played out of position like we do with practically every one of our midfield debutantes

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, moving on from ArdentEagles' inane drivel, sounds like WC are genuinely putting pick 3 on the table. I kinda like the idea tbh, provided we get a pick that gives us access to one of the top mids
Hope its 3 and 14 for 7 and 8

Draiper and Travaglia 🤌

If we could somehow trade pick 23 down for a pick to get Cooper Hynes I would be thrilled

There would have to be a step down in Quality to some extent or no one would trade 6+ for 3 .
Not necessarily.
Step down could be to guarantee access to a local product (Adelaide & Draper) or because the pick is too early for the type of footballer you need (Norf & KPP).

Like Humphries and Martin, Liam Baker and Tim Kelly were both overlooked in several drafts whilst playing in the WAFL. The Eagles list management team could have selected any of them on more than one occasion as a rookie with little risk, but they didn’t have the imagination to see what these players could become. That is what they get paid for and these players were all right under their noses week after week so whatever spin you want to put on it, it was poor recruiting
Martin and Humphries yes, both were at the club and should’ve been able to assess that from there.

Baker and Kelly, everyone has scouts in every state and a stupid take.

Don’t hear this Narrative with Luke Ryan when he was playinh VFL ect and Freo took him.

Mass, Newcombe, Moyle, Peatling, Durham, Disco Turner ect who were all playing in Victoria and under Norths nose but they selected other players who ain’t in the same calibre in the MSD and had picks before then and could’ve selected them in ND and Rookie drafts before

Could Smillie be the forgotten midfielder of this draft? Someone on here said he’ll end up being a two person tackle to stop from the middle…

Smillie at 6… that could work.

Could Smillie be the forgotten midfielder of this draft? Someone on here said he’ll end up being a two person tackle to stop from the middle…

Smillie at 6… that could work.
I think he will likely be there at 6. Melbourne is the unknown atm. No real links from what I’ve heard and could go tall, small or mid

They seriously make these guys do their athletic testing at like 10am? Should be afternoon/early evening.

The vertical jump out of bed in the morning is an essential metric for the modern athlete.

I know it's piss off GC to no end but I'd love for us to bid on him at 3 (if we don't split)
Really like the look of him.

GC can work out a tasty trade for 6 as a thanks for not bidding.

This is what teams should be doing but they don't because they don't wanna be caught with their pants down if teams do it to them in return as retaliation. The league is definitely a 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' league.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back