List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect him to test poorly for agility.
Other interesting results:
Gerreyn 6th for agility with 8.082
Armstrong 7th for agility with 8.132
Stumpf took out the 20m sprint with 2.815 seconds
Smile 5th in the vertical jump with 71cm
Allen 2nd in the running jump (left hand) with 92cm (didn't place in the right hand test)
The Whitlock twins, Tauru, L Camporeale, Faull and Bermeister all featured prominently in the jumps
Stumpf probably the best overall (winning the vertical jump as well as the 20m sprint) followed by Lombard.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

People need to start booking their therapy secessions, or get proactive by going to their GP for a referral to see a Psychiatrist, if the knowledge that we wont be holding pick # 3 after the trade periods, sends them into a mental breakdown or a relapse.

Because the information that I have been privy too, has told me that, if things go to plan and the preliminary discussions that have already been had, come to fruition, then we will have two picks inside the top 20 BUT we wont retain pick 3.

Of course I could have been spoon feed a pile of BS 🥄:poo:, however I have heard this from two seperate and unrelated sources, who have previously been pretty good with intel.
We would have that just from doing the Barrass trade and staying put after.
Which makes me think we're doing something dumb like using pick 3 to get Baker and sliding back. Hopefully it's something more interesting than that.

People need to start booking their therapy secessions, or get proactive by going to their GP for a referral to see a Psychiatrist, if the knowledge that we wont be holding pick # 3 after the trade periods, sends them into a mental breakdown or a relapse.

Because the information that I have been privy too, has told me that, if things go to plan and the preliminary discussions that have already been had, come to fruition, then we will have two picks inside the top 20 BUT we wont retain pick 3.

Of course I could have been spoon feed a pile of BS 🥄:poo:, however I have heard this from two seperate and unrelated sources, who have previously been pretty good with intel.
At the end of the day, they spend a whole year going over every little detail.

If they decide to split pick #3 - I trust them to make the right call. As much as I want a kid at the pointy end, it's about balancing the needs of the list. And we need kids, and talented kids quickly.

It is frustrating that Richmond has the opportunity to move players around to bring in more picks while we have hesitated to move on this front.

Pendles has agility. Agility can easily make up for speed. Side steps etc. I don't think langford has agility so we will wait for his combine
I'd say it's more football nous than agility. Knowing the right time to move, find that space.
Poetry in slow motion if you will.

Allen 2nd in the running jump (left hand) with 92cm (didn't place in the right hand test)
The Whitlock twins, Tauru, L Camporeale, Faull and Bermeister all featured prominently in the jumps
Stumpf probably the best overall (winning the vertical jump as well as the 20m sprint) followed by Lombard.

Gabriel Stumpf - I want to draft him on name alone.

Impressive stats for a bloke 196cm

We already have 3 and 14 (Unless Barrass gets held.)

If we still only have two top 20 picks and 3 is gone, it better be used on someone a hell of a lot better than Baker.
I'd be very happy if it's a known goal kicking mid + still have two top 20 picks.

Shy of that, I'd want one top 6 pick, one top 14 and another inside 20 minimum.

Last edited:
Foxsports saying Garcia to WCE still on the cards.

Our F2 or F3 could be considered given we’ve got no mid-range picks this year.

Same article also suggested Darling to Norths for their pick 43 and maybe even steak knives.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same article also suggested Darling to Norths for their pick 43 and maybe even steak knives.

Also suggesting pick 24 heads from Richmond to us…

Does the Trade window just shut for the weekend? It gets dragged into multiple weeks….

No it continues through the weekends. Considering every club has a recruitment team on Melbourne for the trade period they want to take advantage of us much available time as possible.

"Could the two clubs swap first-round picks (both present and future), with Baker in the middle? Richmond’s Pick 24 at the start of the second round also looms as one that could head the way of the Eagles."

Anyone able to decipher what they mean with this suggestion?

Those are some seriously impressive jumps using hands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also suggest pick 26 for Dev Rob so I'm not sure they're all that reliable

"Could the two clubs swap first-round picks (both present and future), with Baker in the middle? Richmond’s Pick 24 at the start of the second round also looms as one that could head the way of the Eagles."

We could trade 14 + 26 or 14 + 32 (HAW) for Baker + a low first, 20 from Brisbane or 18 from Fremantle

Well, from what you say, it sounds like Richmond give 1 + F1 + Baker + 24, and get 3 + WC F1. Sure, why not?

Show it to Cooney, he'll nut it out

They also suggest pick 26 for Dev Rob so I'm not sure they're all that reliable
Yeah that one seems odd. Brisbane would almost have to offer us an F2, maybe 59 as well. It's not like Dev has much value.

I think they have no idea. Pick 26 for Dev?

Latest on AFL site really ramming this idea of trading 14 for Baker.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back