List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest on AFL site really ramming this idea of trading 14 for Baker.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN
So Sydney offering 19 and 22 for 13.

I’ve said for a while we are offering 14 for Baker and 24.

Are we totally stupid and don’t offer Sydney, a club we have a great trade relationship with 14 for 19 and 22 then offer 22 to Richmond for Baker and keep 19?

3,19,26 is a lot more appealing than 3,24,26.

Mind you 3,14,26 is far more appealing than both.

Combining some of these ideas together....

Darling to North for 67

26 to Brisbane for Robertson, 59 + F2

Barrass + F2 (BRI) to Hawthorn for 14 + F1

3 + F2 (WCE) to Gold Coast for 6, 23 + 41

14 + 41 to Richmond for Baker + 24

Leaves us with a draft hand of 6, 14, 23, 24, 59, 62 + 67 with Baker + Robertson on the books and 2 x F1 (WCE, HAW), F3 + F4 for next year. Bottom three picks combine to roughly pick 45 which can be used on Champion or used separately if Champion goes later.

EDIT: Scratch that. No pick 14 :(

Last edited:
So pick 13 (one before the one we are giving up for Baker is worth a F1 and F2) so we are paying the equivalent of a first round and 2nd round pick for Baker. WTF….. better be a decent pick coming back

Attachments

• IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 11

LATEST ON ROOS' VETERAN CHASE​

A MOVE for Jack Darling to join North Melbourne is expected to be sealed early in the Trade Period but talks have yet to progress on a deal for Swan Luke Parker.

Darling will join the Kangaroos on a two-year deal, with a trigger for a third season, as North targeted his experience, durability and forward pressure to add to its attack.

North's pick 67 is all but agreed upon as the trade that will see West Coast's 298-gamer head to the Roos. Darling, a premiership player in 2018, had a year to run on his deal at the Eagles but was omitted late in their campaign.

A trade could be completed as soon as Monday.

Riley Bev’s latest

CLUBS WAIT ON BIG DEALS​

TRADES involving Tom Barrass, Liam Baker, Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Jack Lukosius are viewed as the key deals to unlocking other moves ahead of the official start of the Trade Period on Monday morning.

Clubs will arrive at Marvel Stadium on Monday for the opening of the 10-day window as the above five players' trades look likely to shape proceedings.

Hawthorn's pursuit of Eagle Barrass is directly linked to West Coast's hunt for Baker, given the Hawks' pick 14 has been put forward to get the deal done. The Eagles would use the selection to get Baker into West Coast but are also looking at other measures to find more draft capital, including taking offers for their prized pick No.3.

Values him at 24 for us but Richmond get their first rounder.
How about West coast keep "their" first rounder and Richmond can take our reasonably fair offer, albeit slight unders of 23 or a F2, or let him walk to the PSD. Why do you people always have us bending over backwards in these trade scenarios to accommodate everyone elses wants and needs despite our own, even when we hold the leverage?

Last edited:
Which is ridiculous - can't see him moving (or getting a game) for at least another year then.

I'm actually starting to feel sad for Dev now.

Couldn't get a gig in a team that had 5 ACL's instead spending the year playing VFL, and by some f*cken baffling reason Brisbane (allegedly) believe that player that can't get a game for them is worth a 2nd round pick?

If he spends 2025 at the Lions and can't get a run I wouldn't even offer a pick for him next year, we'd be doing a favour to them getting his salary off their books. Questionable decision making by he and his management to say the least.

Combining some of these ideas together....

Darling to North for 67

26 to Brisbane for Robertson, 59 + F2

Barrass + F2 (BRI) to Hawthorn for 14 + F1

3 + F2 (WCE) to Gold Coast for 6, 23 + 41

14 + 41 to Richmond for Baker + 24

Leaves us with a draft hand of 6, 14, 23, 24, 59, 62 + 67 with Baker + Robertson on the books and 2 x F1 (WC HAW), F3 + F4 for next year. Bottom three picks combine to roughly pick 45 which can be used on Champion or used separately if Champion goes later.

Champion , Eagles haven't spoken to since early in the footy season but has had 14 clubs contact him since , certainly worth a Cat B rookie spot at the least. Will get drafted though by the sounds of reports .

I'm actually starting to feel sad for Dev now.

Couldn't get a gig in a team that had 5 ACL's instead spending the year playing VFL, and by some f*cken baffling reason Brisbane (allegedly) believe that player that can't get a game for them is worth a 2nd round pick?

If he spends 2025 at the Lions and can't get a run I wouldn't even offer a pick for him next year, we'd be doing a favour to them getting his salary off their books. Questionable decision making by he and his management to say the least.
Didn’t he sign a 2 year deal ?

How about West coast keep their first rounder and Richmond can take our reasonably fair offer, albeit slight unders of 23 or a F2, or let him walk to the PSD. Why do you people always have us bending over backwards in these trade scenarios to accommodate everyone elses wants and needs despite our own, even when we hold the leverage?
I agree but the fact that it is news suggests that is a discussion at least. I'm trying to understand how it might work from our side.

Foxsports saying Garcia to WCE still on the cards.

Our F2 or F3 could be considered given we’ve got no mid-range picks this year.

Same article also suggested Darling to Norths for their pick 43 and maybe even steak knives.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
All things considered we should play hard ball with North, Jack is no slouch and imo is worth more than baker (for the two years he has) give us mid thirty's or **** off.
Wealth of knowledge, wealth of experience, our second best player for a pick in the forty's? He's worth more than that to North at this moment so no reason why we can't get more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CLUBS WAIT ON BIG DEALS​

TRADES involving Tom Barrass, Liam Baker, Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Jack Lukosius are viewed as the key deals to unlocking other moves ahead of the official start of the Trade Period on Monday morning.

Clubs will arrive at Marvel Stadium on Monday for the opening of the 10-day window as the above five players' trades look likely to shape proceedings.

Hawthorn's pursuit of Eagle Barrass is directly linked to West Coast's hunt for Baker, given the Hawks' pick 14 has been put forward to get the deal done. The Eagles would use the selection to get Baker into West Coast but are also looking at other measures to find more draft capital, including taking offers for their prized pick No.3.
If we give up 14/Barrass for Baker then the CEO, new coach and recruiting team should resign.

Not a fan of modelling Richmond and then paying them for the privilege.

Say No to Richmond cast off's !

All things considered we should play hard ball with North, Jack is no slouch and imo is worth more than baker (for the two years he has) give us mid thirty's or **** off.
Wealth of knowledge, wealth of experience, our second best player for a pick in the forty's? He's worth more than that to North at this moment so no reason why we can't get more

Except North are taking the 800k contract on , freeing up Salary Cap space for WC .

Liam Baker for Matthew Clarke. Straight swap.

It does seem very unusual that we have had so much reported on us this year- usually we are so closed book.

I’m guessing we have been fairly active trying to get all the work done before trade week and we have been an open book of sorts to clubs on the east the journos have good relationships with.

We have usually proven to have good relationships with clubs overall and being fair to deal with so i very much doubt we end up getting completely shafted.

There’s some very good names in that top 30 mix and always a few extras clubs are keener on than others. Happy to let some time play out before making a judgment.

It does seem very unusual that we have had so much reported on us this year- usually we are so closed book.

I’m guessing we have been fairly active trying to get all the work done before trade week and we have been an open book of sorts to clubs on the east the journos have good relationships with.

We have usually proven to have good relationships with clubs overall and being fair to deal with so i very much doubt we end up getting completely shafted.

There’s some very good names in that top 30 mix and always a few extras clubs are keener on than others. Happy to let some time play out before making a judgment.

This assumes the info being reported is coming from us whereas it could instead be coming from other clubs. Might explain why each proposed deal looks less than optimal as the information is based on the other club’s hopes/expectations rather than ours

Lots of moving pieces that need to settle in place before we get a genuine understanding of how we’ve done

If we give up 14/Barrass for Baker then the CEO, new coach and recruiting team should resign.

Not a fan of modelling Richmond and then paying them for the privilege.

Say No to Richmond cast off's !
100%. Look at Jordan Dawson. Pick 18 for a future Captain and 200-250 games, big bodied midfielder at the crows. 2nd rounder should be the maximum for Baker.

Champion , Eagles haven't spoken to since early in the footy season but has had 14 clubs contact him since , certainly worth a Cat B rookie spot at the least. Will get drafted though by the sounds of reports .
He was training with us as recently as early August so we’ve spoken to him since early in the footy season

As long as we’ve done the appropriate paperwork to ensure he’s registered as a NGA with us so we can match a bid, he’ll be in the wings unless another club goes ridiculously early with a bid

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back