List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem very unusual that we have had so much reported on us this year- usually we are so closed book.

I’m guessing we have been fairly active trying to get all the work done before trade week and we have been an open book of sorts to clubs on the east the journos have good relationships with.

We have usually proven to have good relationships with clubs overall and being fair to deal with so i very much doubt we end up getting completely shafted.

There’s some very good names in that top 30 mix and always a few extras clubs are keener on than others. Happy to let some time play out before making a judgment.
The whores on Whore Island are all chatty Kathy's

People need to start booking their therapy secessions, or get proactive by going to their GP for a referral to see a Psychiatrist, if the knowledge that we wont be holding pick # 3 after the trade periods, sends them into a mental breakdown or a relapse.

Because the information that I have been privy too, has told me that, if things go to plan and the preliminary discussions that have already been had, come to fruition, then we will have two picks inside the top 20 BUT we wont retain pick 3.

Of course I could have been spoon feed a pile of BS 🥄:poo:, however I have heard this from two seperate and unrelated sources, who have previously been pretty good with intel.
Is there a player involved that is not Liam baker?

West Coasts trade target Baker:

What WCE need to do to get their man:

How can WEST COAST satisfy Richmond:

Jesus, the bloke is out of contract and NOMINATED our club thanks to his dumb dad Mini now being our head coach.

That's it. We didn't target him, we didn't ask for him, and he's certainly not a marquee signing or a deal we have to get done, FMD.

Seems to me the flog Vic media has just spammed this pick 13/14 rhetoric for the past week and now everyone is just drinking the copium and it's accepted.

Wouldn't mind a club idiot like Clarke or Pyke getting up and publicly hosing it down, at least reiterating that Barrass is still under contract and a required player and if a one sided trade doesn't come our way, he'll be playing for us next year.

Same goes for the Baker situation. We're rebuilding and we won't compromise our draft hand, despite the fact he's nominated us, we're under no obligation and the rebuild takes priority.

Saying either of those two things would speak volumes, and yet it's just silence and the Vic churn just goes on and on and suddenly the trade happens and nobody blinks an eye.

Seems it's my turn to bed wet 🛏️:shower:

West Coasts trade target Baker:

What WCE need to do to get their man:

How can WEST COAST satisfy Richmond:

Jesus, the bloke is out of contract and NOMINATED our club thanks to his dumb dad Mini now being our head coach.

That's it. We didn't target him, we didn't ask for him, and he's certainly not a marquee signing or a deal we have to get done, FMD.

Seems to me the flog Vic media has just spammed this pick 13/14 rhetoric for the past week and now everyone is just drinking the copium and it's accepted.

Wouldn't mind a club idiot like Clarke or Pyke getting up and publicly hosing it down, at least reiterating that Barrass is still under contract and a required player and if a one sided trade doesn't come our way, he'll be playing for us next year.

Same goes for the Baker situation. We're rebuilding and we won't compromise our draft hand, despite the fact he's nominated us, we're under no obligation and the rebuild takes priority.

Saying either of those two things would speak volumes, and yet it's just silence and the Vic churn just goes on and on and suddenly the trade happens and nobody blinks an eye.

Seems it's my turn to bed wet 🛏️:shower:

This is the best I can offer you

Hopefully you can still turn the light off when you go to bed tonight

Finger is already hovering over the microwave button at the approaching nightmare scenario of overpaying for Baker, downgrading pick 3 and drafting Travaglia.

This is the pre-emptive outrage I live for; trade period delivering early.
I refuse to believe both can happen. It's only one of those will happen and I think it's leaning towards Baker for 14.

Just me siddy and ill be happy

Jesus, and that's 8th best? It would have been top last year and second the year before.
1. Leo Lombard - 7.812
2. Malakai Champion - 7.836
3. Will Hayes - 7.850
4. Bo Allan - 7.940
5. Rhys Unwin - 8.012
6. Kayle Gerreyn - 8.082
7. Harry Armstrong - 8.132
8. Finn O'Sullivan - 8.136
8. Thomas Sims - 8.136
10. Jasper Alger - 8.141

I don't know if the agility test is equitable necessarily.
The players kept knocking over the poles they had to run around and the Rookie Me team would then place the poles again, so I feel like there might be some variance on this test (although there shouldn't be).

Last edited:
This is the best I can offer you

Hopefully you can still turn the light off when you go to bed tonight

Yeah yeah I know this from the other day.

I do think the wording was a bit soft and Pyke could have been more staunch and a campaigner.

Reckon if he was, there would be less pick 14 talk right about now.

Ok let’s see how this looks like it may play out. Do the hypothetical split with the Saints (it better not just be 14 for TB either)

3 + 14 for 7 + 8.

We take 7 (Tobie or the mid that drops)

8 we split again with GWS for 15 + 16?

15 for Baker and 24?

We go to the draft with 7, 16, 24, 26 to the draft + Baker….

8*- Travaglia or Mid that drops Smillie or Reid
19*- Lindsay or Hynes or Berry
28*- Gross or Oliver or Faull
30*- Davis or Hanneford
Have 2 x First rounders for 2025 draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do land Baker, which seems to be almost assured, what position would he play for us?

I'm assuming mostly midfield, in order to protect Harley and other young mids.
Half forward or HBF and pinch hitting mid. Not sure where Mini played him in 2023. He isn’t the player to protect anyone. That might be Graham/Dev/Yeo role

If we do land Baker, which seems to be almost assured, what position would he play for us?

I'm assuming mostly midfield, in order to protect Harley and other young mids.
Some sort of mid/half forward sort of role I presume. Dont think Yeo or Kelly move out of the middle yet, so there wouldnt be a full time mid role in there anyway

Finger is already hovering over the microwave button at the approaching nightmare scenario of overpaying for Baker, downgrading pick 3 and drafting Travaglia.

This is the pre-emptive outrage I live for; trade period delivering early.
Man, I'd love Travaglia, I rate him above Draper and Reid and probably on par with Smillie

Ok let’s see how this looks like it may play out. Do the hypothetical split with the Saints (it better not just be 14 for TB either)

3 + 14 for 7 + 8.

We take 7 (Tobie or the mid that drops)

8 we split again with GWS for 15 + 16?

15 for Baker and 24?

We go to the draft with 7, 16, 24, 26 to the draft + Baker….

Have 2 x First rounders for 2025 draft.
16 is kind of an awkward pick for us, mostly talls with Berry, Hotton, and hopefully Lindsay the ones around there. If we miss out on Lindsay idk who to pick, nothing really stands out.

Not really many other options to split 8 with though, prefer to swap hawks f1 with one of the GWS picks, and then use that for Baker+steak knives, leaving us with 3+Barrass+f2 for 7+8+Baker+steak knives

Given all the meat pounding going on about pick 13 should Eagles get involved in that? Pick 14 for 19 and 22 (Sydney offering that for pick 13) would be ideal because then its just 19 for Baker and we move on with our lives while retaining pick 22.

As far as splitting pick 3, only option would be Richmond. and likely a pick 9 and 10 for pick 3 which doesnt interest me too much. I think gotta stay in the top 6 or so still

16 is kind of an awkward pick for us, mostly talls with Berry, Hotton, and hopefully Lindsay the ones around there. If we miss out on Lindsay idk who to pick, nothing really stands out.

Not really many other options to split 8 with though, prefer to swap hawks f1 with one of the GWS picks, and then use that for Baker+steak knives, leaving us with 3+Barrass+f2 for 7+8+Baker+steak knives
Its why im leaning against wanting pick 14 to be honest and not trading it on for 2 picks. Some clubs really need those talls (Sydney is the standout which is why they want pick 13 so much). Im happier to drift back and watch clubs fight over themselves in that 10-20 range for the KPPS who will make up a ton of those picks

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back