List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
16 is kind of an awkward pick for us, mostly talls with Berry, Hotton, and hopefully Lindsay the ones around there. If we miss out on Lindsay idk who to pick, nothing really stands out.

Not really many other options to split 8 with though, prefer to swap hawks f1 with one of the GWS picks, and then use that for Baker+steak knives, leaving us with 3+Barrass+f2 for 7+8+Baker+steak knives
16 likely to be 19. If we go Tobie I’d go Hynes.

This is why Garcia and Dev are a must for me.

There is always players who fall in this range. Pick 7 would dictate a lot what we do later with the other picks.

I do hope West Coast and Richmond are in cahoots together. I am not with posters thinking Clarke owes his old employer a favour. That said, I am intrigued as to why Baker took a month to say he preferred West Coast.

3 areas to work together
1. Use the FA compensation with Graham to get the AFL to upgrade the pick as the word is Graham and Baker are a combination. Example: - We trigger band 3 for Graham and give Tigers a F2 for Baker and a F3

2. Tigers will have multiple R1 picks and we can work together to position what we both need. Tigers have more needs than us so they will not give up but could be into swapping. Example - Richmond get 6 (Rioli) and 10 (Bolton). They might have a pressing need for a pairing of mids so want 3 and 14 (Barrass) instead.

3. If we do get a F1 for Barrass as well as 13, Tigers might like to trade a R1 into 2025.

If there is an agreement on the big items, we may not win every trade but both clubs come away happy.

In losing Darling, I cannot see anything to stop us paying all of the 2025 Barrass salary to upgrade the picks from Hawks. Barrass (100% salary 2025) and F3 for 14 and F1.

Meanwhile - can Vic Media explain to us why the Suns pick 13 is so vital to unlock a highly valuable Houston who is in contract and a dual AA defender while pick 14 is appropriate for an out of contract Baker who is a great team man but has no position in which he has owned or is elite.

I hope SOS has fallen in love with Murphy Reid and Taj Hotton thinking he can get both with picks 3 and 14. Do the obvious trade with us and happily hand over 7 and 8. That would make many on this board excited with a pick in the TT range. I am expecting that there will also be a mid that falls out to 7/8. It could be Smillie, Draper, Langford, ...

Not a big fan, sacrilege as that is around here since for some reason this board is Club Tobie.
Hes the ideal fit for our list, elite intercepting half back with pace, and a decent kick on him. We currently have no player that really fits any of those needs on our list.
We can find mids to complement Reid and Hewett a lot easier than finding half backs like Travaglia. Also Will Day comparisons as others have mentioned

I think this board like him because he's clearly got huge upside. I think the Will Day comparisons are pretty accurate

Yeah I don't want to sidetrack into a big debate about TT, but in brief: I think he's clearly a great prospect but I don't love him as a fit for us; I can imagine being perfectly happy drafting him with a pick that isn't our first, but I'd be very, very unhappy downgrading 3 and turning it into him.

edit -

Hes the ideal fit for our list

He's not.

True actually, I forgot the f/s and academies when looking at rankings, Hynes is about there.

Yeah definitely need a couple of mids to keep us ticking over for the short term
Look none of the players I listed fit the bill of link man for us which would be ideal but with the way Mini was talking about chaos ball being a game plan. Imo you don’t necessarily need the high accumulation mid with those game plans. Ideally you’d have one who could do it but Players who run hard and play hard with a touch of class. Plenty of them in the blokes I listed.

Last edited:
If we do land Baker, which seems to be almost assured, what position would he play for us?

I'm assuming mostly midfield, in order to protect Harley and other young mids.

He ain't a protection man, just a very small AFL player with an admirable small man syndrome.

If you wanted to add bigger bodies in the middle then a Kennedy like from Carlton (no, not Josh) would have been perfect.

Anyway, the protection thing in the sanitised AFL is overrated for mids, its not like it suburban footy where that's a real thing (apparently our poor Reid can't cope whereas a smaller Ashcroft could in a GF, coming off an ACL & Daicos say hi).

Different for young developing KPF's, who are far more likely to be physically buffeted in marking contents (i.e. Allen).

Baker if NOT worth anywhere near pick 14 to us.

Not even excited at 26.

I do hope West Coast and Richmond are in cahoots together. I am not with posters thinking Clarke owes his old employer a favour. That said, I am intrigued as to why Baker took a month to say he preferred West Coast.

3 areas to work together
1. Use the FA compensation with Graham to get the AFL to upgrade the pick as the word is Graham and Baker are a combination. Example: - We trigger band 3 for Graham and give Tigers a F2 for Baker and a F3

2. Tigers will have multiple R1 picks and we can work together to position what we both need. Tigers have more needs than us so they will not give up but could be into swapping. Example - Richmond get 6 (Rioli) and 10 (Bolton). They might have a pressing need for a pairing of mids so want 3 and 14 (Barrass) instead.

3. If we do get a F1 for Barrass as well as 13, Tigers might like to trade a R1 into 2025.

If there is an agreement on the big items, we may not win every trade but both clubs come away happy.

In losing Darling, I cannot see anything to stop us paying all of the 2025 Barrass salary to upgrade the picks from Hawks. Barrass (100% salary 2025) and F3 for 14 and F1.

Meanwhile - can Vic Media explain to us why the Suns pick 13 is so vital to unlock a highly valuable Houston who is in contract and a dual AA defender while pick 14 is appropriate for an out of contract Baker who is a great team man but has no position in which he has owned or is elite.

I hope SOS has fallen in love with Murphy Reid and Taj Hotton thinking he can get both with picks 3 and 14. Do the obvious trade with us and happily hand over 7 and 8. That would make many on this board excited with a pick in the TT range. I am expecting that there will also be a mid that falls out to 7/8. It could be Smillie, Draper, Langford, ...
I’ve come to terms that StKilda will take the leftover mid and Travaglia. Can’t possibly see them trading those picks short of Weller for pick 2 areas.

I do like the thought of working WITH Richmond. Let’s assume we get Graham band 3 (pick 25) as part of the deal.

Tigers likely to have: 1,6,10,18,20,24,Baker

WCE hopefully have: 3,14,25*,27, F1(HAW)

*25 counts as us getting it for Richmond as part of the deal.

Tigers end with 1,3,14,24,25, F1 (HAW)

WCE end with 6,10,18,20,27,Baker

Why is every pundit/commentator/expert(supposed)/AFL.com.au journo/bigfooty poster(even on this board - with a few exceptions) having us roll over on every trade?

Barrass for 14 and F3 or if lucky F2. No, Hawks are expected to rise next year, likely top 8, 14 + F1.
Baker for 14 - F*** off. 2nd rounder or walk away.
Baker for 3 plus some lower picks - even more F*** off.
Darling for pick 67 (DVI - 69). Surely with a 2 + 1 option he's worth a little more than that. Pick 61 (DVI - 135)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve come to terms that StKilda will take the leftover mid and Travaglia. Can’t possibly see them trading those picks short of Weller for pick 2 areas.

I do like the thought of working WITH Richmond. Let’s assume we get Graham band 3 (pick 25) as part of the deal.

I think the Saints would love a chance to pick what mid they get rather than what one is left over. Also getting Hotton makes sense for them with a later pick.

3 + 14 for 7 + 8 does make sense imo. Saints fans are all over it

I think the Saints would love a chance to pick what mid they get rather than what one is left over. Also getting Hotton makes sense for them with a later pick.

3 + 14 for 7 + 8 does make sense imo. Saints fans are all over it
I’m sure the fans are but SOS isn’t. I’d do 3,14 for 7,8. Pity the club would then package up 7,8 for 4 then trade it for Baker.

Saints need speed and I can see Smillie slipping.

Do you think they could go Taj and Tobie at 7 and 8?

Tobie reminds me of the squirrel dude from over the hedge, if he can just steady his last step before he kicks he'll find his efficiency improves

I’m sure the fans are but SOS isn’t. I’d do 3,14 for 7,8. Pity the club would then package up 7,8 for 4 then trade it for Baker.
Time will tell if SOS. All they have talked about is mid help. Not sure they would just want to sit there and wait to see who falls. Maybe they do rate them all the same but I doubt it. You’d want to control who you take. Maybe they love Tobie as much as we apparently do but they have plenty of that type already

Time will tell if SOS. All they have talked about is mid help. Not sure they would just want to sit there and wait to see who falls. Maybe they do rate them all the same but I doubt it. You’d want to control who you take. Maybe they love Tobie as much as we apparently do but they have plenty of that type already
Ross runs the show. He loves runners with a tank. Assuming the order doesn’t change Tobie to the Saints is about the most sure pick in the draft IMO.

Ross runs the show. He loves runners with a tank. Assuming the order doesn’t change Tobie to the Saints is about the most sure pick in the draft IMO.
Yet don’t have runners with speed in their mid. Unless NAS is going in there full time. Pairing Pou and Langford or Smillie isn’t a great fit and what they might be left with. Jagga, Sid or FOS are a lot better going forward. Likely still to have runners there at 14 as well.

That’s the whole discussion is if the order changes because they trade up to get a mid they want?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back