List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is every pundit/commentator/expert(supposed)/AFL.com.au journo/bigfooty poster(even on this board - with a few exceptions) having us roll over on every trade?

We have to keep in mind all of these articles are written for the Victorian market, they are writing what those plebs want to hear so they keep coming back with more clicks for the next article....(that or we are about to get reamed 😅)

West Coasts trade target Baker:

What WCE need to do to get their man:

How can WEST COAST satisfy Richmond:

Jesus, the bloke is out of contract and NOMINATED our club thanks to his dumb dad Mini now being our head coach.

That's it. We didn't target him, we didn't ask for him, and he's certainly not a marquee signing or a deal we have to get done, FMD.

Seems to me the flog Vic media has just spammed this pick 13/14 rhetoric for the past week and now everyone is just drinking the copium and it's accepted.

Wouldn't mind a club idiot like Clarke or Pyke getting up and publicly hosing it down, at least reiterating that Barrass is still under contract and a required player and if a one sided trade doesn't come our way, he'll be playing for us next year.

Same goes for the Baker situation. We're rebuilding and we won't compromise our draft hand, despite the fact he's nominated us, we're under no obligation and the rebuild takes priority.

Saying either of those two things would speak volumes, and yet it's just silence and the Vic churn just goes on and on and suddenly the trade happens and nobody blinks an eye.

Seems it's my turn to bed wet 🛏️:shower:
Because West Coast are to professional to do that. They will be negotiating directly with the clubs and player management. Baker may not even be the club's main target.

All these articles are click bait anyway.

Yet don’t have runners with speed in their mid. Unless NAS is going in there full time. Pairing Pou and Langford or Smillie isn’t a great fit and what they might be left with. Jagga, Sid or FOS are a lot better going forward. Likely still to have runners there at 14 as well.

That’s the whole discussion is if the order changes because they trade up to get a mid they want?
They want Reid, they will be hoping for him and TT but they aren’t going to know if he’ll be there until closer to the draft so they are unlikely to trade before then. We’re likely to lose 14 next week so the show is over by then.

The order not changing as in someone like us doesn’t trade and get 6 off Richmond and jump in and take Travaglia.

People need to start booking their therapy secessions, or get proactive by going to their GP for a referral to see a Psychiatrist, if the knowledge that we wont be holding pick # 3 after the trade periods, sends them into a mental breakdown or a relapse.

Because the information that I have been privy too, has told me that, if things go to plan and the preliminary discussions that have already been had, come to fruition, then we will have two picks inside the top 20 BUT we wont retain pick 3.

Of course I could have been spoon feed a pile of BS 🥄:poo:, however I have heard this from two seperate and unrelated sources, who have previously been pretty good with intel.

2 in the top 20 before draft day (i.e. before pushbacks)?

Assuming we get 14 for Barrass, thst makes 2 before 20...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1239337

14 still on the table for Baker….. Cal doesn’t mention picks coming back.

Darling could be done early for 67

If Swans have put 19 and 22 forward for 13. Surely that the trade we take for 14 and use it in the Baker trade. One for Baker and the other we keep
Nah let's trade 3 and 14 for 7 and 8 .

Take 14 away from the Baker trade

We've been cucked. Not me but you.

We were weren't happy giving away our 2nd rounder.

Then it's 13

Now it's letting go of pick 3

In an odd way, I think I’d prefer using 3 for Baker and 6 than 14 for Baker and 24

6,14,26 >> 3,24,26

In no world should 14 be used for Baker with nothing coming back

People need to start booking their therapy secessions, or get proactive by going to their GP for a referral to see a Psychiatrist, if the knowledge that we wont be holding pick # 3 after the trade periods, sends them into a mental breakdown or a relapse.

Because the information that I have been privy too, has told me that, if things go to plan and the preliminary discussions that have already been had, come to fruition, then we will have two picks inside the top 20 BUT we wont retain pick 3.

Of course I could have been spoon feed a pile of BS 🥄:poo:, however I have heard this from two seperate and unrelated sources, who have previously been pretty good with intel.

Well that is one domino falling over, pick 3 is on the table and sounds like parties are interested.

Does the 2nd top 20 pick include keeping Hawthorns?

Then it could just be a simple pick 3 for 6 and Baker deal and we move on.

Enter the melts. Lol. :joycat: ;):rolleyes:

Well that is one domino falling over, pick 3 is on the table and sounds like parties are interested.

Does the 2nd top 20 pick include keeping Hawthorns?

Then it could just be a simple pick 3 for 6 and Baker deal and we move on.

Enter the melts. Lol. :joycat: ;):rolleyes:
The real melts start when we use pick 6 on something other than a midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone jailbreak this? eaglespremiers all over it.

The West might finally do us a favour by putting some media pressure on us taking pick 3 to the draft.

If we trade down our pick 3 for pick 6 I think we'll be trading ourselves out of that top tier of talent.

Reading phantom drafts, top tier appears to be Lalor, Jagga, FOS & Draper. After that its a mix, with Langford, Reid & Smilie appearing at different stages of draft orders, suggesting there isn

Bo Allan is who I want at pick 14. I don't want to use that on Baker.
Not sure about Allan... seems a Ginbey 2.0. Although Ginbey is pretty good, not sure we need another one using a first rounder for it. Would rather a Xavier Lindsay or a Joe Berry at that pick.

Anyone jailbreak this? eaglespremiers all over it.

The West might finally do us a favour by putting some media pressure on us taking pick 3 to the draft.
Top draft prospect Finn O’Sullivan says he’s open to a move to West Coast and will reach out to No.1 pick Harley Reid to chat about a potential reunion.
O’Sullivan is considered one of the best midfielders in the upcoming draft and is every chance to have his name called out first by Richmond who hold this year’s top pick.
If he does slip past the Tigers and North Melbourne it could open up a chance for the Eagles – who currently hold pick No.3 – to swoop and grab the Vic Country midfielder.
A second cousin of former No.1 draftee Sam Walsh, O’Sullivan said he would be open to heading west if the Eagles drafted him to play alongside Reid who were teammates at Vic Country last year.
“We’ve talked a bit about it (moving West) but nothing’s really certain in the draft. He (Reid) loves it I think moving over there and there Vic Country boys I think it’d be a great opportunity to go over there because there is already six or seven boys over there so I’d love it,” O’Sullivan said on joining Reid in WA.
“I haven’t got his number, but I might have to give him a call I think. I’ve got him on Snapchat so I might send him a text message.”
O’Sullivan is viewed as a ready-made AFL prospect having already made his VFL debut for Richmond, kicking two goals from 12 touches against Sandringham in round 20.
The teenage midfielder is in contention alongside Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft, Dandenong Stingrays’ Harvey Langford and Oakleigh Chargers’ Jagga Smith as the best talent in this year’s pool.
WAFL 2024: Delisted West Coast rookie Zane Trew returns to Swan Districts
AFL Trades 2024: West Coast table pick No.3 as they look to be aggressive this year
O’Sullivan had an injury-hit 2024 season because of a broken thumb and fractured fingers, but is considered a strong prospect because of his over-head marking as well as elite skills.
It comes after he was named in the Under-18 All-Australian team last year despite being a bottom-ager, playing three games, including a stellar performance in a win over Western Australia.

Finn O'Sullivan competes in the running vertical jump. AFL Photos
The Eagles could also see drafting O’Sullivan as a shrewd move to create an environment around Reid that takes the edge off any lure for the rising star to return to his home state, as they did by bringing in his mate Jason Gilbee to play WAFL.

Top draft prospect Finn O’Sullivan says he’s open to a move to West Coast and will reach out to No.1 pick Harley Reid to chat about a potential reunion.
O’Sullivan is considered one of the best midfielders in the upcoming draft and is every chance to have his name called out first by Richmond who hold this year’s top pick.
If he does slip past the Tigers and North Melbourne it could open up a chance for the Eagles – who currently hold pick No.3 – to swoop and grab the Vic Country midfielder.
A second cousin of former No.1 draftee Sam Walsh, O’Sullivan said he would be open to heading west if the Eagles drafted him to play alongside Reid who were teammates at Vic Country last year.
“We’ve talked a bit about it (moving West) but nothing’s really certain in the draft. He (Reid) loves it I think moving over there and there Vic Country boys I think it’d be a great opportunity to go over there because there is already six or seven boys over there so I’d love it,” O’Sullivan said on joining Reid in WA.
“I haven’t got his number, but I might have to give him a call I think. I’ve got him on Snapchat so I might send him a text message.”
O’Sullivan is viewed as a ready-made AFL prospect having already made his VFL debut for Richmond, kicking two goals from 12 touches against Sandringham in round 20.
The teenage midfielder is in contention alongside Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft, Dandenong Stingrays’ Harvey Langford and Oakleigh Chargers’ Jagga Smith as the best talent in this year’s pool.
WAFL 2024: Delisted West Coast rookie Zane Trew returns to Swan Districts
AFL Trades 2024: West Coast table pick No.3 as they look to be aggressive this year
O’Sullivan had an injury-hit 2024 season because of a broken thumb and fractured fingers, but is considered a strong prospect because of his over-head marking as well as elite skills.
It comes after he was named in the Under-18 All-Australian team last year despite being a bottom-ager, playing three games, including a stellar performance in a win over Western Australia.

Finn O'Sullivan competes in the running vertical jump. AFL Photos
The Eagles could also see drafting O’Sullivan as a shrewd move to create an environment around Reid that takes the edge off any lure for the rising star to return to his home state, as they did by bringing in his mate Jason Gilbee to play WAFL.
Finally something decent from stickdick woodCOCK. Nice drive by for FOS to say Harley is loving it. Get him in.

He ain't a protection man, just a very small AFL player with an admirable small man syndrome.

If you wanted to add bigger bodies in the middle then a Kennedy like from Carlton (no, not Josh) would have been perfect.

Anyway, the protection thing in the sanitised AFL is overrated for mids, its not like it suburban footy where that's a real thing (apparently our poor Reid can't cope whereas a smaller Ashcroft could in a GF, coming off an ACL & Daicos say hi).

Different for young developing KPF's, who are far more likely to be physically buffeted in marking contents (i.e. Allen).

Baker if NOT worth anywhere near pick 14 to us.

Not even excited at 26.
Yeah i misused the word protect. I guess I see it more as guidance, mentorship, and to play more defensively so Harley and other young mids can do their thing.

In an odd way, I think I’d prefer using 3 for Baker and 6 than 14 for Baker and 24

6,14,26 >> 3,24,26

In no world should 14 be used for Baker with nothing coming back
I'd still try to make the deal such that we're effectively trading F2 for Baker. ie. 3, 62 + F2 for 6, 24 + Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back