List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
WE have had our say see what the club does now. Lets hope they have taken note that the majority of us don't want baker at the club next year. Short term gain long term loss.

Love how the media are saying pick 17 is basis for bailey smith and 14 for Baker.. fmd can we have smith instead ?

Top brass are delusional I think and seem to think we are 1 or 2 years away from finals football or something. The list decisions only point to this mindset.

Just take the pick 3, tell Baker to **** off, get 2 of Garcia/Dev/Carroll/Sheldrick for bugger all/mimnimal loss and have a bit of ****ing patience/understanding of where we are at

Top brass are delusional I think and seem to think we are 1 or 2 years away from finals football or something. The list decisions only point to this mindset.

Just take the pick 3, tell Baker to **** off, get 2 of Garcia/Dev/Carroll/Sheldrick for bugger all/mimnimal loss and have a bit of ****ing patience/understanding of where we are at

If we thought finals were only a year or two away we wouldn’t be trading Barrass

You know this how? All that's been said is they will meet with Baker and wouldn't give up the farm for him and that they are invested in the draft.

West coast may not even go after Baker and they are probably also talking to some of the player's on your list + others.

WE have had our say see what the club does now. Lets hope they have taken note that the majority of us don't want baker at the club next year. Short term gain long term loss.

Unlike you, I won’t speak for the majority but I don’t think the issue is trading for Baker per se. It’s the possible cost of the trade that’s a concern

He’s best 22 and will be for around 5 years. He’s also in an age group we’re light on and will help set standards around the club

For an early R2 pick or broadly equivalent that’s fine, just not a mid R1 pick

No the club just realises that we need to bring in some players in that age bracket to guide the kids. We have lost a lot of experience over the last few years & it’s likely we may also lose Cripps & Sheed next year.

It seems for some supporters it doesn’t matter what the club does they just seem to find something else to complain about…

If we thought finals were only a year or two away we wouldn’t be trading Barrass
If we move that on for Baker then not much was achieved in that sense is all.... None of the moves we are making really correlate to much of a strategy to be fair as the signings of Graham/Baker contradict letting Barrass go also. Splitting pick 3 doesnt strike me as a move of patience either.

I just dont see how any of these moves will work out well to be honest. Happy to be proven wrong though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless its a long term decision with HEdwards showing to be an entirely competent KPD option. Sounded like we were losing one of Edwards or Barrass anyway.

Barrass for Baker + whatever picks does put us in a better position, balancing the list in terms of age and positionally

A few guys like Baker and Graham, plus guys like Reid getting development will put us in a position to attract actual players very soon.
Hawks didnt stop and stockpile top 10 picks.
The Hawks rebuild going into trying to copy a Collingwood/Geelong style top up should be what we try to follow.
Im sure we could be in reach of finals in 2 years time if things go well.

Why is 27 seen as the age we are missing. If we do the math

25-29 - Liam Ryan, Liam Duggan, Tom Cole, Matt Flynn, Jake Waterman, Oscar Allen, Jack Petrucelle, Dom Sheed, Jayden Hunt

Then we go

21-25 - Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson, Harry Edwards, Tyler Brockman, Brady Hough, Campbell Chesser (Luke Edwards, Jai Culley stoll on list in this age range)

Its pretty clear where the actual age gap is.... Its the Riley Garcia/Jack Carroll/Dev Robertson/Angus Sheldrick range, but for some reason we dont want to take the risk

West Coasts trade target Baker:

What WCE need to do to get their man:

How can WEST COAST satisfy Richmond:

Jesus, the bloke is out of contract and NOMINATED our club thanks to his dumb dad Mini now being our head coach.

That's it. We didn't target him, we didn't ask for him, and he's certainly not a marquee signing or a deal we have to get done, FMD.

Seems to me the flog Vic media has just spammed this pick 13/14 rhetoric for the past week and now everyone is just drinking the copium and it's accepted.

Wouldn't mind a club idiot like Clarke or Pyke getting up and publicly hosing it down, at least reiterating that Barrass is still under contract and a required player and if a one sided trade doesn't come our way, he'll be playing for us next year.

Same goes for the Baker situation. We're rebuilding and we won't compromise our draft hand, despite the fact he's nominated us, we're under no obligation and the rebuild takes priority.

Saying either of those two things would speak volumes, and yet it's just silence and the Vic churn just goes on and on and suddenly the trade happens and nobody blinks an eye.

Seems it's my turn to bed wet 🛏️:shower:
I reckon if we had a thread on who should be a selector from our posters I would vote for you , not just because of the players you rate but also because of your persuasive reasoning .

Why is 27 seen as the age we are missing. If we do the math

25-29 - Liam Ryan, Liam Duggan, Tom Cole, Matt Flynn, Jake Waterman, Oscar Allen, Jack Petrucelle, Dom Sheed, Jayden Hunt

Then we go

21-25 - Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson, Harry Edwards, Tyler Brockman, Brady Hough, Campbell Chesser (Luke Edwards, Jai Culley stoll on list in this age range)

Its pretty clear where the actual age gap is.... Its the Riley Garcia/Jack Carroll/Dev Robertson/Angus Sheldrick range, but for some reason we dont want to take the risk
Chad Warner is also in that range you think we dont care about btw

If we move that on for Baker then not much was achieved in that sense is all.... None of the moves we are making really correlate to much of a strategy to be fair as the signings of Graham/Baker contradict letting Barrass go also. Splitting pick 3 doesnt strike me as a move of patience either.

I just dont see how any of these moves will work out well to be honest. Happy to be proven wrong though

Not every move has to be about winning now or later. We were open to moving Barrass on because he wasn't going to play in our next premiership side and has the most value of such players. We're open to bringing Graham and Baker in because they will cover holes that are going to open up over the next couple of years as senior players retire and kids build their bodies and craft. Not every kid that walks through the doors at MRP is going to be Harley Reid. Most are going to need a year or two in the WAFL before they're ready.

Liam Ryan , Liam Duggan , Tom Cole , Matt Flynn, Jake Waterman , Oscar Allen , Jack Petrucelle, Dom Sheed, Jayden Hunt
How many of these guys do you expect to be on the list in three years' time. Of those, how many do you expect to still be playing regularly at AFL level?

Not every move has to be about winning now or later. We were open to moving Barrass on because he wasn't going to play in our next premiership side and has the most value of such players. We're open to bringing Graham and Baker in because they will cover holes that are going to open up over the next couple of years as senior players retire and kids build their bodies and craft. Not every kid that walks through the doors at MRP is going to be Harley Reid. Most are going to need a year or two in the WAFL before they're ready.
Barrass isn’t going to be in our next premiership but neither is Baker. Sure he plugs a Jamie Cripps sized hole at the end of next year but we also miss out on a top kid. If we’re plugging holes then plug the 26yo holes with FA free hits, not 1R draft picks.

We need to be open to filling the gap at 21-25. The imaginary hole that Graham and Baker will be filling is just that

Baker replaces Jamie Cripps, Graham replaces maybe Petrucelle?. These are not the people to replace as they are still on or list. Its the Luke Edwards/Zane Trew/Jarmaime Jones who should be replaced. People of that 21-25 who are not on our list anymore and should be replaced with players of similar age, not 27 year olds...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back