List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ll almost certainly lose 14 for baker and possibly F2 in the Barrass deal. If we don’t get enough young high end talent when we bottom out we miss the boat and end up like saints, blues and bombers in midtable mediocrity. Would have rather we offered the obscene money to perryman/cumming and save the picks. Perhaps mercifully we can pick purchase next year.
Don't get sucked into the media beat up by Victorian reporters. I have no doubt that we are discussing all of our options, including trading picks 3 and whatever we get for Barrass. It doesn't mean that we're going to do it. And if we do, it doesn't mean that it'll be bad for us. Admittedly, I don't understand it myself but I trust there's a plan in place and we'll achieve our objectives.

As for 14 and F2 specifically, working with the news items and Keys' pick 3 idea, I've landed on the following:

3, 62 + F2 to Richmond for Baker, 6 + 24

Darling to North for 67 (ideally 61)

26 to Brisbane for Robertson, 59 + F2

Barrass + F2 (BRI) to Hawthorn for 14 + F1

That would leave us with 6, 14, 24, 59 + 67 this year and F1, F1 (HAW), F3 + F4 next year.

There are ways for these trades to work out for us without bending anyone over or being bent over ourselves.

Don't get sucked into the media beat up by Victorian reporters. I have no doubt that we are discussing all of our options, including trading picks 3 and whatever we get for Barrass. It doesn't mean that we're going to do it. And if we do, it doesn't mean that it'll be bad for us. Admittedly, I don't understand it myself but I trust there's a plan in place and we'll achieve our objectives.

As for 14 and F2 specifically, working with the news items and Keys' pick 3 idea, I've landed on the following:

That would leave us with 6, 14, 24, 59 + 67 this year and F1, F1 (HAW), F3 + F4 next year.

There are ways for these trades to work out for us without bending anyone over or being bent over ourselves.
The pick 14 info doesn’t come from the Vic media I can assure you.

If it worked out as above we essentially trade 3 for 6 and Baker yes? Then all the deals contribute slightly to get Dev in.

I wish I shared your view that we have sensible objectives.

The pick 14 info doesn’t come from the Vic media I can assure you.

If it worked out as above we essentially trade 3 for 6 and Baker yes? Then all the deals contribute slightly to get Dev in.

I wish I shared your view that we have sensible objectives.
I choose to look at is as trading our F2 for Baker but you could look at it as 3 for 6 + Baker instead. I just hope that isn't the trade in isolation. Nor anything involving 14 (in isolation). Even if we traded the Hawks' F1 for 13 from Gold Coast I'd rather just take 13 + 14 to the draft.

Which probably brings us back to 3 for 6 + Baker...

waiting-anxious.gif

No the club just realises that we need to bring in some players in that age bracket to guide the kids. We have lost a lot of experience over the last few years & it’s likely we may also lose Cripps & Sheed next year.

It seems for some supporters it doesn’t matter what the club does they just seem to find something else to complain about…
We lost Sheed years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christian Moraes:
Christian Moraes - Combine-2.jpg
Christian Moraes - Combine-1.jpg
James Barrat:
James Barrat - Combine-2.jpg
James Barrat - Combine-1.jpg
Josh Smillie:
Josh Smillie - Combine-1.jpg
Bo Allen:
Bo Allen - Combine-1.jpg
Cody Anderson:
Cody Anderson - Combine-1.jpg
Hamish Davis:
Hamish Davis - Combine-1.jpg
Harry Armstrong:
Harry Armstrong- Combine-1.jpg
Lucas Campreale:
Lucas Camporeale - Combine-1.jpg
Kayle Gerreyn:
Kayle Gerreyn - Combine-1.jpg
Luke Urguhart:
Luke Urquhart - Combine-2.jpg
Luke Urquhart- Combine-1.jpg
Pheonix Hargrave:
Pheonix Hargrave - Combine-1.jpg
Will Hayes:
Will Hayes - Combine-1.jpg

Apologies if its been discussed already

But is there any mechanism by which we can terminate Barras' contract?

The Band 1 compo pick we could potentially get would be far better than what we are going to get via trade.

If it were at all possible I'm sure it would be blocked by the AFL.

There's also the distinct possibility that would make him a DFA anyway

this would be close

but what about WC 3, 14 & Tigers give 6, 20 + Baker
move back 3 picks (3-6) and 6 picks (14-20) get Baker for basically nothing

Last edited:
Apologies if its been discussed already

But is there any mechanism by which we can terminate Barras' contract?

The Band 1 compo pick we could potentially get would be far better than what we are going to get via trade.
I think the only way you can do that is to delist him.... then no compo pick

this would be close

but what about WC 3, 14 & Tigers give 6, 20 + Baker
move back 3 picks (3-6) and 6 picks (14-20) get Baker for basically nothing
It's a possibility. From our side, I think splitting pick 3 should net us an extra pick rather than a player. Of course, Baker has value but I would like to think picks are a higher priority than players.

I thought that too with Lindsay a crucial cog in the machine until Baker nominated us then we started making noises about trading pick 3 out.

Now I’m thinking 2040 which is quite unappealing.
Lindsay has had a couple of solid years of Coates footy with a standout game at the Champs this year. He’s not a must have. He’s a kid that’s a possible first round pick and that’s where he sits.

For me personally he doesn’t sit in that top group of midfielders. He sits in the second group with the likes of Moraes, Gross,Allan and Hynes.

That’s my issue with the Hawks pick blowing out, it moves into a more 50/50 chance of picking a bust.

I’m not arguing for Baker either but I feel the idea for moving Barrass out was for a top 10 pick and that gets you into a pretty sweet spot in this draft. Pick 16/17 doesn’t the talent pool drops off around there.

The club should be telling the Hawks we want a top 10 or TB stays. If not sit down with his manager and nut out a new deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back