List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
FOS is legit the one top prospect I'd like nothing to do with and that's the latest bloke we've been linked to 🤦‍♂️

Injury riddled. Form this year has been terrible/patchy, no consistency with his game, still riding the coattails of his underage season last year.

Talented player, but waaaaay too much risk. Exactly the kind of questionable selection I hope we avoid. Draper, Smith, Langford, TT even Smiley would be preferable IMO.

Martin and Humphries yes, both were at the club and should’ve been able to assess that from there.

Baker and Kelly, everyone has scouts in every state and a stupid take.

Don’t hear this Narrative with Luke Ryan when he was playinh VFL ect and Freo took him.

Mass, Newcombe, Moyle, Peatling, Durham, Disco Turner ect who were all playing in Victoria and under Norths nose but they selected other players who ain’t in the same calibre in the MSD and had picks before then and could’ve selected them in ND and Rookie drafts before
I agree, North’s recruiting has been very poor in recent years as well. Unfortunately that revelation doesn’t excuse West Coast’s failure to recognise opportunities to strengthen their list with astute recruiting

FOS is legit the one top prospect I'd like nothing to do with and that's the latest bloke we've been linked to 🤦‍♂️

Injury riddled. Form this year has been terrible/patchy, no consistency with his game, still riding the coattails of his underage season last year.

Talented player, but waaaaay too much risk. Exactly the kind of questionable selection I hope we avoid. Draper, Smith, Langford, TT even Smiley would be preferable IMO.
Twice last week when talking about picks 3 (ours) and another top pick Twomey rattled off every name at the top end except for FOS both times. Then apparently he came out and said it’s down to FOS and lalor for tigs at 1 so i’d say he’s going before we’ll even have a pick, especially if we split.

Still blows my mind how high Baker is regarded. Jack of all trades and no where close to being a master at any. Type of player you’d bring in if you were contending as he can bolster the midfield unit and his flexibility means he can be used to plug holes when you need to. That said it just seems like we are really bringing him in as he is a west aussie in the right age group and wants to come to us.

Foxsports saying Garcia to WCE still on the cards.

Our F2 or F3 could be considered given we’ve got no mid-range picks this year.

Same article also suggested Darling to Norths for their pick 43 and maybe even steak knives.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shocked at reading they thought pick 26 required Dev, wtf. Played 2 games this year. Try pick 62

Last edited:
Still blows my mind how high Baker is regarded. Jack of all trades and no where close to being a master at any. Type of player you’d bring in if you were contending as he can bolster the midfield unit and his flexibility means he can be used to plug holes when you need to. That said it just seems like we are really bringing him in as he is a west aussie in the right age group and wants to come to us.
Whohoooo….. are we now Gold Coast?

Why is every pundit/commentator/expert(supposed)/AFL.com.au journo/bigfooty poster(even on this board - with a few exceptions) having us roll over on every trade?

Barrass for 14 and F3 or if lucky F2. No, Hawks are expected to rise next year, likely top 8, 14 + F1.
Baker for 14 - F*** off. 2nd rounder or walk away.
Baker for 3 plus some lower picks - even more F*** off.
Darling for pick 67 (DVI - 69). Surely with a 2 + 1 option he's worth a little more than that. Pick 61 (DVI - 135)
Here's the thing, if darlings only worth 67 or wtv it is, what sort of ****ing player fetched a pick in the 40s???

Please tell me how we aren't getting bent over backwards once again???

Here's the thing, if darlings only worth 67 or wtv it is, what sort of ****ing player fetched a pick in the 40s???

Please tell me how we aren't getting bent over backwards once again???
Darling is probably only worth 400k or so salary. If North are taking the full 800k or whatever hes on then yeah a late pick is probably fair.
Probably better we pay half of it or something and get a better pick but it is what it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok let’s see how this looks like it may play out. Do the hypothetical split with the Saints (it better not just be 14 for TB either)

3 + 14 for 7 + 8.

We take 7 (Tobie or the mid that drops)

8 we split again with GWS for 15 + 16?

15 for Baker and 24?

We go to the draft with 7, 16, 24, 26 to the draft + Baker….

8*- Travaglia or Mid that drops Smillie or Reid
19*- Lindsay or Hynes or Berry
28*- Gross or Oliver or Faull
30*- Davis or Hanneford
Have 2 x First rounders for 2025 draft.
Not the worst

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back