List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Graham could be the Jack Redden, Rowan Jones, Tyson Stenglein etc player that helps support the more talented midfielders and does a reasonable negating job as well. Would also not be on much coin, and didn't cost a single draft pick. And hopefully joins those players with a premiership medal too...

Jack Darling for a live pick (will be closer to pick 50 when all the academy and father/son stuff shakes out) is also fine, well past his peak and helps North more than us at this stage. Don't blame him for wanting to extend his playing career into 2027 and beyond. Thanks for the memories JD.

All in all, a reasonable day one. But please no pick 14 for Baker.

Why is it that some of the big wigs think Baker is worth a first round pick when most supporters think it is a joke?

Trade radio claimed Baker was contracted justifying his higher asking price until they obviously read my sms (off air) and had to point out he wasn't contracted.

Last edited:

I had some degree of confidence that the outcome of the baker trade would be something we could swallow, but that confidence has just gone through the floor after that presser. Clarke's putting alot of pressure on the baker to come in and play some serious footy.

A bit harsh on Bakers speech guy's.
Would have been a pretty uncomfortable/awkward moment accepting an award and trying to thank the club you know you won't be playing for next year.
Would not be an easy setting. Hard enough for most people to stand up in front of a crowd and give a speech without it being this "weird"
Luckily though if we get him it will be for his footy skills and not speaking in front of an audience skills.
I don’t think much about it either way. Did bring it up as a prime recent example why he is not and will never be captaincy material at our club when a tigers poster suggested he could be our next captain.

This thread is on endless loop hand-wringing over Baker. Remember last year when the media kept saying we'd split 1, then we didn't? Maybe this overpaying for Baker stuff might be the same thing.

Don't forget there is a market and Freo also expressed interest, helping establish his price. Whatever we pay will be reflective of that, if it ends up involving a R1 then that's the market. After that it's up to McQualter to extract that value from him when he's in the team.

This thread is on endless loop hand-wringing over Baker. Remember last year when the media kept saying we'd split 1, then we didn't? Maybe this overpaying for Baker stuff might be the same thing.

Don't forget there is a market and Freo also expressed interest, helping establish his price. Whatever we pay will be reflective of that, if it ends up involving a R1 then that's the market. After that it's up to McQualter to extract that value from him when he's in the team.
unless i'm mishearing clarke literally said he thought an early teens pick for baker was fair

A bit harsh on Bakers speech guy's.
Would have been a pretty uncomfortable/awkward moment accepting an award and trying to thank the club you know you won't be playing for next year.
Would not be an easy setting. Hard enough for most people to stand up in front of a crowd and give a speech without it being this "weird"
Luckily though if we get him it will be for his footy skills and not speaking in front of an audience skills.
100% this. We can be unhappy at the price, but anyone slamming Baker for his speech can GAGF.

It was a no man’s land scenario for the guy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke also in that presser more or less mocked a journo asking if Barrass worth 2 first rounders. “Do you think he’s worth two first rounders”.
Is this guy a sleeper agent or what, talks up value of incoming players, minimises value of outgoing players.
What an absolute flipping muppet

I took that comment more as everyone knows he’s worth 2 first rounders so why even ask.

Exactly this, some of you guys are going to hate the players in your team by the sounds of it.
The compo is the compo. It’s about what clubs have to deal with when you are dealing with them. But what the player is actually worth.

Last edited:
Clarke also in that presser more or less mocked a journo asking if Barrass worth 2 first rounders. “Do you think he’s worth two first rounders”.
Is this guy a sleeper agent or what, talks up value of incoming players, minimises value of outgoing players.
What an absolute flipping muppet
Yeah "leverage" doesnt seem to be something that is in Matt Clarke's vocabulary.

We'll see how this plays out

As far as the consensus top 7 mids go for WCE list needs I personally have three tiers:

1. FOS, Jagga
2. Lalor, Langford, Draper
3. Reid, Smillie

I wouldn’t trade pick 3 if I was confident we were getting FOS or Jagga. I’d hope we take it to the draft and if they are both off the board we will get a small fortune for it or take Lalor or Draper.

Lalor and Draper would possibly make the first tier but I have concerns for injuries they have/had and whilst I think Langford will make a great player in the right system, our lack of midfield pace and agility is already a concern.

I believe the club has put a line through Reid and Smillie.

I agree with Eastern Rangers that the club would probably spilt pick 3 if it meant we could get Tobie and Bo. The only way I see that happening is a trade with Richmond or the Saints and I’d be shocked if the Saints gave up their sweet spot consecutive picks in the draft. I understand the Demons are strongly considering Bo at 5 but will likely take Langford if available but could be a spanner in the works.

Although I don’t think it will happen this way, I can see us trading 3 for 6 and Baker but it would mean we likely end up with Travaglia, Baker and one of Lindsay or Bo. You’d think for this to happen we’d want to take a midfielder with pick 26 but I think Hynes and Gross will be gone by then which may leave Moraes whose stocks seem to be falling.

Turning 3,14 and 26 into Travaglia, Lindsay/Allan, Baker and Moraes would be a decent result considering we’re stuck with Baker. Dennis and Stumpf would be worth consideration as KPDs with our late pick(s) as well as getting Champion.

I think it's interesting you see FOS as falling so squarely into the 'safe' camp. Given he'd be being drafted almost entirely on underage-year form, and despite being fully fit later this year (aerobically speaking at least) has flopped quite a bit on output, is he really any less of a risk than the guys with injury or athleticism concerns?

Taking you on your word re Draper and Lalor, I'd say Smith is the only prospect who presents as truly safe in terms of floor.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back